work from home tax re-claim

Will call it back end of the year with self assessment, and a nice office desk and chair. Keyboard , mouse etc. Might make up for the daft child benefit shite I have to pay back every year
You should only be paying that back if you now earn too much and should no longer be claiming it ? I think anyway

You should only be paying that back if you now earn too much and should no longer be claiming it ? I think anyway
Aye paid it back for years, had the option to not get it or get it and pay it back, when looked into it it messes with pensions and the bairns NI number if we stopped it . Just goes into one account then back every jan.

Aye paid it back for years, had the option to not get it or get it and pay it back, when looked into it it messes with pensions and the bairns NI number if we stopped it . Just goes into one account then back every jan.
I was in similar boat in end just stopped it, so did colleagues in same scenario , agree was right clart on 😆

Broadband can be expensed only if you would not have it otherwise. I work from home full-time even pre-covid and can't claim for broadband because it's a given that you have it.

I think many people are under the incorrect impression that HMRC are some kind of benevolent charity. They always want their pound of flesh and give very little away.

Broadband can be expensed only if you would not have it otherwise. I work from home full-time even pre-covid and can't claim for broadband because it's a given that you have it.

Possibly could claim the difference if you've had to upgrade due to your existing connection not being good enough?

£60 a year without evidence.

Hmm, I've got the heating on all the time and all the lecky for the IT kit I use. Plus the chair I had to buy. Seems you have to go down the self-assessment route to claim properly.

Mind, if I convert my garage to a study, do you think I could claim that?
Ask your accountant. The aircon I've installed in my home office was tax deductible.

Why are people saying it's £1.20 when it's £6 per week?
You don't get £6 a week your tax allowance increases £6 a week so in effect you benefit paying 20% less on that £6 which is £1.20 per week
I'll need to have a word with my manager than I work within HMRC and their guidance states £6 pw
No wonder I'm paying back an underpayment lol

Last edited:
You don't get £6 a week your tax allowance increases £6 a week so in effect you benefit paying 20% less on that £6 which is £1.20 per week

No wonder I'm paying back an underpayment lol

My taxable allowance has increased by £300 a year there is 5 months left this year so therefore I’ll be expecting about £120 back.

Back