work from home tax re-claim

Works out about £1.20 a week in actual money. Better than nowt.
Aye it’s not much but suppose if other way round they be shit hot ..

Think you just do it on your annual tax return if you normally do self assessment - is that right ?

Last edited:

Aye it’s not much but suppose if other way round they be shit hot ..

Think you just do it on your annual tax return if you normally do self assessment - is that right ?
Aye, just claim it in the expenses.
I already work from home, presume this was already part of my contract or whatever?

no idea.
Check your tax code, there'll be an allowance if it was. If not there you can claim back 4 years.

Last edited:
Mind, if I convert my garage to a study, do you think I could claim that?

Aye, but if you're a home owner you'll owe the tax man a slice of any profits if/when you sell.
Just checked and changed from 1250L to 1282 so an extra £300 a year ain’t it. From this month so works out about £150 I’ll get from now until April next year

Nope. You'll not pay 20% tax on £300 of earnings (so 60 quid).

Last edited:
Aye, but if you're a home owner you'll owe the tax man a slice of any profits if/when you sell.

Nope. You'll not pay 20% tax on £300 of earnings (so 60 quid).
You will only be liable for capital gains if your office is “work only”

Take pics of your family playing in the room, drinking, watching telly and post online as historical proof. Then you will not have the tax man after you.

this may be utter tripe mind so I would check.

Just to confirm this for those wondering. If you’ve been asked to work from home for one day since April you can claim a whole year of this tax relief. One day.
It’s not much but it’s better than nowt.

If you are claiming tax relief for working at home, are there not implications for business rates at your home instead of personal council tax?

You will only be liable for capital gains if your office is “work only”

Take pics of your family playing in the room, drinking, watching telly and post online as historical proof. Then you will not have the tax man after you.

this may be utter tripe mind so I would check.

It has to be for the majority work purposes for you to claim an allowance though but.

It has to be for the majority work purposes for you to claim an allowance though but.
It’s interesting, a colleague and I were just talking about it and he mentioned the capital gains thing then I read your post. Was going to claim back for the last 4 years but reckon I’ll talk to a financial advisor before I do now.

This process seems to work quite well, mind. I claimed this a month ago, and got a change to my tax code almost immediately and I noticed the difference in my monthly pay this month already.

Did you get a backdated payment or owt?

Asked me when I wanted to claim from(17th March for me).

Needs closed imo. Saving on commuting will more than make up for it.

Will call it back end of the year with self assessment, and a nice office desk and chair. Keyboard , mouse etc. Might make up for the daft child benefit shite I have to pay back every year

Back