Wood Burning Pizza Ovens

My son made one out back with some spare bricks, just arranged, no mortar or anything. Disaster at first until he got the venting right - superb after that. It's been there two years now and still works fine. Cost next to nothing.

When I’ve finally moved I’m gonna get either one of these ooni’s or just build a brick / clay one. Can’t wait.
Draw backs with the ooni is you can only really do pizza. Build one yourself and you can do everything you can in a conventional oven.

Biggest pro has to be the convenience though. 30 odd minutes and your at 450 deg C.
Fair enough if you want convenience but a shop bought or even homemade in the house cooker is convenient. Not a dig mind. But look at this thread. One sticks out a mile, I know what I’d be wanting. :lol:

Fair enough if you want convenience but a shop bought or even homemade in the house cooker is convenient. Not a dig mind. But look at this thread. One sticks out a mile, I know what I’d be wanting. :lol:
I know people with lovely brick built ovens who simply don't use them because of the hassle. I don't think you can compare the results achievable in an OONI compared to the house oven. Sorry haven't time to find the post you are referencing.

Few recent creations me Koda-16

Can only see one but it looks delicious.
Draw backs with the ooni is you can only really do pizza. Build one yourself and you can do everything you can in a conventional oven.
That’s not true. The Ooni advert even shows them cooking other stuff.

Last edited:
Can only see one but it looks delicious.

That’s not true. The Ooni advert even shows them cooking other stuff.
Hmmm maybe. But a brick oven is more versatile. You can have 3 or 4 dishes to come out at once. Stews, joints, whole chicken as well as pizza. Don’t get me wrong the ooni makes a cracking pizza but in my opinion it’s an extra added to the bbq. The oven is used instead of the bbq and if we have friends around it’s loads easier to manage.

Has anybody successfully built their own? Fancy a project when I move.

Also, can it be done for cheaper than £300? Otherwise stuff it, I'll just get an Ooni :lol:

Has anybody successfully built their own? Fancy a project when I move.

Also, can it be done for cheaper than £300? Otherwise stuff it, I'll just get an Ooni :lol:
The build your own kits are way more expensive than 300 quid but then you can’t cook a whole suckling pig in an ooni.

Back