Woman loses benefits - can’t get wheelchair into assessment centre

Isn't it illegal for any public workplaces not to have disabled access these days? I'm surprised there's not a ramp there, given it's a disability assessment centre.

That said, having gone to all the effort to get to the building, you'd have thought she'd have gone the extra to ask for assistance getting into the building.

Isn't it illegal for any public workplaces not to have disabled access these days? I'm surprised there's not a ramp there, given it's a disability assessment centre.

That said, having gone to all the effort to get to the building, you'd have thought she'd have gone the extra to ask for assistance getting into the building.
This thread must be cursed! :lol:

considering she is seen walking and locking her front door etc and puffing up the cushion on the scooter and assuming she manages to walk around the house she could have got off the chair and walked a few feet indoors too.

Yes. I complained politely to a pub/restaurant that my Dad couldn't get in and they've since put a ramp in.

There's no dropped kerb outside the Empire to get across to The Bridges car park. You have to go all the way down to a dropped kerb between The Dead Rabbit and Revolution, then back up the other side. Mam asked the council to put a dropped kerb crossing in outside the theatre. They said no as they can use the crossing down the road.

considering she is seen walking and locking her front door etc and puffing up the cushion on the scooter and assuming she manages to walk around the house she could have got off the chair and walked a few feet indoors too.
Are you gonna watch her scooter for her, while she's in the centre?

Are you gonna watch her scooter for her, while she's in the centre?

I would have done... however the staff would have been able to manoeuvre it over the step if she wasn't in it.

While she shouldn't have had that issue and the system is shite Im certain it could have been overcome.. it wasn't a big step.. it was a lip on the door

Disabled boy sues theme park over toilet

this story int he news too.

I have all the sympathy for Flambards on this.. they have made a lot of concessions.

they manage to get him lifted on and off rides without complaining.

I know it isn't 100% ideal but the adapted room looks more than big enough
The article even says they hire a mobiloo - converted horsebox. That can't be bigger than the disabled toilet pictured at Flambards surely?

The article even says they hire a mobiloo - converted horsebox. That can't be bigger than the disabled toilet pictured at Flambards surely?

they are part of an action group which I can part see where they are coming from but when a company has tried to ake concession at a substantial cost some of the sympathy falls away.

far bigger targets than a family run theme park which I dare say goes out its way to slow down rides etc to accommodate her son.

Can I just make a small point here... When she's in her home environment she will know instinctively how to to achieve what she needs to do. She will know where everything is, how high any steps or obstacles are, what she needs to do to open and close any doors, how many steps she needs to take between places and where any useful hand-hold points are for when she needs to support herself. All she can see at the centre is a step that can't be negotiated using her primary mobility aid, beyond the door is an complete unknown to her. How far will she need to move? Will there be any places to stop and rest, will there be any steps once she's in the building? Will there be a suitable chair for her to rest on? Etc. Etc. It is entirely unreasonable to expect her to go through that door not knowing what is on the other side.

Just needs a proper run at it just back up and go straight on she'd get in.

Bit silly it doesn't have a ramp though

Neither is possible. Look at the video where they see somebody in a wheelchair being assisted, the door opens onto a narrow pavement, there's no room to create a ramp and certainly no room to take a run up!

Last edited:
Can I just make a small point here... When she's in her home environment she will know instinctively how to to achieve what she needs to do. She will know where everything is, how high any steps or obstacles are, what she needs to do to open and close any doors, how many steps she needs to take between places and where any useful hand-hold points are for when she needs to support herself. All she can see at the centre is a step that can't be negotiated using her primary mobility aid, beyond the door is an complete unknown to her. How far will she need to move? Will there be any places to stop and rest, will there be any steps once she's in the building? Will there be a suitable chair for her to rest on? Etc. Etc. It is entirely unreasonable to expect her to go through that door not knowing what is on the other side.

Neither is possible. Look at the video where they see somebody in a wheelchair being assisted, the door opens onto a narrow pavement, there's no room to create a ramp and certainly no room to take a run up!

The run up was more of a joke but I agree the building entrance is clearly not fit for purpose.

Only way I can see it working is if they help her in sit her down by the door then try and get the scooter in.

I would have done... however the staff would have been able to manoeuvre it over the step if she wasn't in it.

While she shouldn't have had that issue and the system is shite Im certain it could have been overcome.. it wasn't a big step.. it was a lip on the door
You've made the assumption that she can walk(shuffle might be more appropriate) It's not beyond imagination that she won't be able to get over the step.

not disputing that but those are questions she could easily have asked from the two people who answered the assistance button. I'm not saying the right decision or that the access does need looking at though.

not disputing that but those are questions she could easily have asked from the two people who answered the assistance button. I'm not saying the right decision or that the access does need looking at though.

Well I suppose she could have done, but if there's one thing I've learned in over 25 years of mobility impairment it's this "Trust No One".

When I was on a spinal injury ward many years ago there were often stories told about how to claim disability payments one needed to attend an office at the the top floor of a DHSS building with no lift, if you couldn't make it up there you couldn't claim benefits, if you could, well, you obviously were not disabled. Those stories were black humour to the best of my knowledge, but our recent governments appear to have made the sick joke a reality...

Well I suppose she could have done, but if there's one thing I've learned in over 25 years of mobility impairment it's this "Trust No One".

When I was on a spinal injury ward many years ago there were often stories told about how to claim disability payments one needed to attend an office at the the top floor of a DHSS building with no lift, if you couldn't make it up there you couldn't claim benefits, if you could, well, you obviously were not disabled. Those stories were black humour to the best of my knowledge, but our recent governments appear to have made the sick joke a reality...
They do it at ATOS house in Sunderland, they video people into the assessment centre then watch for them using the stairs.

Back