Woman loses benefits - can’t get wheelchair into assessment centre

They do it at ATOS house in Sunderland, they video people into the assessment centre then watch for them using the stairs.

I'm sure they do. If not by video then they watch people in the waiting room before appointments. If you're not aware then you may screw up your claim before you're even in the assessment by appearing too comfortable sitting down (no problem sitting for long periods, not that they'd deliberately make you wait or anything like that), or having the temerity to be seen reading a book, which obviously proves you have no concentration issues whatsoever, etc...

I took my opportunity to "put on a show" for them. Not that I needed to to back up my claim, but I didn't want to give the arseholes any opportunity to think they'd been clever and "caught me out".

Well I suppose she could have done, but if there's one thing I've learned in over 25 years of mobility impairment it's this "Trust No One".

When I was on a spinal injury ward many years ago there were often stories told about how to claim disability payments one needed to attend an office at the the top floor of a DHSS building with no lift, if you couldn't make it up there you couldn't claim benefits, if you could, well, you obviously were not disabled. Those stories were black humour to the best of my knowledge, but our recent governments appear to have made the sick joke a reality...
That was pretty much true in Darlington, for some strange reason after a refit in the job centre they put the ESA claimants on the third floor. :eek:

Imagine trying to defend that man, some of you lot need to spend some time as a disabled person, you'd sharp change your mind.

Fuck me, man, why does everything have to be attacking or defending? Who's defending it?

Back