Wingate

Wonder if he moves away. Sad to say but it could happen again if he doesn’t.
The people who do this shit are probably so parochial that moving just a village across is likely enough.
But yeah, unless he goes "full security" I can't see him being able to move back onto the same site. Just imo of course.

Grudges in these places seem to last forever.

The people who do this shit are probably so parochial that moving just a village across is likely enough.
But yeah, unless he goes "full security" I can't see him being able to move back onto the same site. Just imo of course.

Grudges in these places seem to last forever.
Definitely. There’s no way id be staying there
Unfortunately it will be going through his mind. Hard decision to make really, do you get another property in the same area and run the risk of it happening again, or move away and start a fresh.

It all comes down to his and his family's safety really, very tough and unfair decision for them to have to make.
He needs to get away

Last edited:
If they think he will have money after all this he'll definitely become a target. As well as possibly pissing off some of the idiots due to his stance.

Doubt he will be able to return.

Wonder what happens in this situation... He leaves, sets up somewhere else then still has land to sell in Wingate and a mortgage on the destroyed property.

If they think he will have money after all this he'll definitely become a target. As well as possibly pissing off some of the idiots due to his stance.

Doubt he will be able to return.
Claims he is staying according to a report on the BBC website. It would be nice to think the scum who did this could be forced to move on rather than a decent bloke trying to stand up for his community

Claims he is staying according to a report on the BBC website. It would be nice to think the scum who did this could be forced to move on rather than a decent bloke trying to stand up for his community
Good luck to him. Hope he does. Sadly doubt they will give up as most of them will have nowt else to do. He'll need to be on his guard.

And lass, let's not lose sight that its a couple here, with 2 kids.
(Sorry, don't mean that as a dig, its just that almost all the comments seem to be about him - she's just lost her home too)

i honestly don’t know how either of them deal with it, knowing their 2 kids could have died is horrific and not sure i’d cope tbh.

i can’t get my head around anyone wanting to do it knowing kids are in the house, something seriously wrong with the scumbags

Same type of thing going on all over the place at the moment. Neighbours van went up a few month back for no apparent reason.

Community's too scared to confront or speak up against this type of behaviour these days in fear that they'll be targeted.

State of the policing dosent help either

Can't see him leaving Wingate myself like, he's born and bred there.

What he, his family and all the families in the area need is some solid official support.

Not sure how likely that is to come like, but if it doesn't come in an official sense then vigilante justice may well be taken from the scumbag's hands and placed into some of those families.

I grew up in Wingate from the age of 3, didn't leave until I was 25 and, like most places I've no doubt, some of the toughest bastards in the place are those you would least suspect.

Would only take a few to rally together and the dafties would shit it. At least IMO the good folk of the villages could make that happen if they were pushed too far.

Lad was on R5 last night. Stephen Nolan about 11.15pm.

Overwhelmed with donations and messages of support.

Last edited:
Four people were arrested over the weekend in connection with recent criminal activity in the Wingate area.

All four remain in custody and are being questioned by detectives.

Meanwhile, inquiries into the cause of last week’s fire are continuing.

Both men arrested last week on suspicion of arson have been released on police bail, although one has been charged with an unrelated offence of handling stolen goods.

Inspector Emma Kay said: “We had additional patrols out in the village over the weekend and that extra police presence will continue.

“We would urge anyone who has information to come forward and speak to us as soon as possible”.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Durham Constabulary on 101.

Back