Willis and Ozturk

Status
Not open for further replies.

I agree.

Has Baldwin now been totally written off?

I’d write off Loovens. Baldwin is behind Willis, Ozturk and Flanagan in my opinion.

Funnily enough, I still think there could be a decent centre half in Baldwin. Maybe he’ll be a late developer but there’s just something about the lad that makes me think that he could come good. I don’t have that feeling at all about Flanagan.

Dont know why ozturk was dropped. Aye he was shit at the beginning of the season last year but he was one of our best defenders at the end.

Should have been straight in. Unless he came back unfit from pre-season?
Agreeed, seems bizarre. Ozturk and Willis seem an ideal combo, Ozturk big physical and no nonsense and then Willis with the pace next to him.

I was there and thought he had a good game. As to the hoofing the ball up field, you can look at that two ways. As an old git, I see him doing the basics win the ball get it down field. The difference with his basic clearances and those of others at the back is that the ball goes into the other half before it is in the possession of the other side, with the other two they give the ball away in our half trying passes they are not good enough to try.

All in all he is a good League One defender. He must start and build a partnership with Willis.

Our defence could still do with a bit of re-jigging. Willis and Ozturk are probably the best combination available at the minute and should start on Saturday. But ideally we need to do some more business ins and outs so, I'd like to see us have the following as our options when the window closes:

LB: Hume, New Signing
RB: McLaughlin, Flanagan
CB: Willis, Baldwin
CB: Heneghan, Ozturk

Like others have said Flanagan spent most of his time at Burton as a full back, so let's treat him as such and that will free up O'Nien to go back to being an option for CM - his natural position. Hopefully we can come to an arrangement with Loovens to get him off the books. No idea who we could get for LB like!

That’s about right
Aye but he is good at it.
I was there and thought he had a good game. As to the hoofing the ball up field, you can look at that two ways. As an old git, I see him doing the basics win the ball get it down field. The difference with his basic clearances and those of others at the back is that the ball goes into the other half before it is in the possession of the other side, with the other two they give the ball away in our half trying passes they are not good enough to try.

All in all he is a good League One defender. He must start and build a partnership with Willis.
Exactly my sentiments

Last edited by a moderator:
It really pisses me off that he gets in our team. The lad can't run, pass or defend!

From what I've seen he's the worst centre back at the club - and I said that last year too. His positioning is absolutely dire. Might even play big Glen over him, has forgotten more about central defending than this lad will ever learn.

Can see why people have experimented by playing him at full back and central midfield where his chronic positioning is less catastrophic. Sticking him in a back three was asking for trouble. Appears we are sacking it off now, but the back three might have worked without him in it.

It's a sorry state of affairs when ozturk is your best defender. Aye, he's a solid unit who puts himself about, but he's about as mobile as an ikea sideboard and has at least 3 potential penalties in him a game due to his inability to tell the difference between how you tackle in football from how you do it in rugby

From what I've seen he's the worst centre back at the club - and I said that last year too. His positioning is absolutely dire. Might even play big Glen over him, has forgotten more about central defending than this lad will ever learn.

Can see why people have experimented by playing him at full back and central midfield where his chronic positioning is less catastrophic. Sticking him in a back three was asking for trouble. Appears we are sacking it off now, but the back three might have worked without him in it.

Think starting with 10 men would of worked at his expense.. The sad and most pathetic thing is, he will be starting Saturday.

If Flannigan is a fullback by trade why doesn't he just play him as left back while Hume is injured?

We've got plenty of much of a muchness centre backs to replace him in the middle.

If Flannigan is a fullback by trade why doesn't he just play him as left back while Hume is injured?

We've got plenty of much of a muchness centre backs to replace him in the middle.
He isn’t a fullback by trade. He’s a league one version of early career John O’Shea. Even then he’s played most of his career in the middle. Ultimately he’s a substitute if he’s anything.

Can't believe he's still doing this. I used to cringe watching him last season doing that. Like you say, a penna waiting to happen. What the hell is Rossy doing watching him grabbing opposition all the time.
Do you expect Ross to run on and give Ozturk a good telling off mid-game - “Now just stop doing that ! You are a very naughty boy !”

Has to be said there's three to four blurts "worried" that shirt pulling leads to pens in this crap heap of a league where other sides make it look like it's the name of the game; Conor McLaughlin looks set to reprise the role anyhow.

There'll be a time Ozturk finally causes one, but in the meantime what's the point going on about it until it occurs. Get the slow-coach in the side and close your eyes on corners if you must.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back