Wild Camping

I usually make a route on os maps, stick to it, screen shot it send it to my wife. I don't always do that but when I don't it's usually one of my usual spots and they are easy to find and very short walks. I'll point out where I plan on camping but also tell the wife it's not definite I will be exactly there but in that area.

My mate was in Scotland recently and as he was going up he met this old boy coming down. He fancied a breather so they stopped for a chat. The old bloke was on his first walk after a fall last year when he broke his hip. It was evening time and he knew no one would be coming up at that time so he just made himself as comfortable as he could and waited until the first people came up the next morning.

His missus went mental with him and made him get a PLB. That got us thinking about safety when you are in remote areas.

£400 is a lot for a bit of kit that you might never use but it might be the best £400 you ever spent if you have an accident.
Saw one in a store earlier but the sales bloke didn’t know much about it,and the bloke who knew the specifications wasn’t in the shop.
Logon or register to see this image

Saw one in a store earlier but the sales bloke didn’t know much about it,and the bloke who knew the specifications wasn’t in the shop.
Logon or register to see this image
We had a fun day today. Our life jackets ( not actually mine but the ones we use) needed re charging if that’s the right term so we hung them on the washing line and set them both off. We also ran a test on the PLB which my mate has and it worked perfectly.

Time to board the Honwave is soon.

We had a fun day today. Our life jackets ( not actually mine but the ones we use) needed re charging if that’s the right term so we hung them on the washing line and set them both off. We also ran a test on the PLB which my mate has and it worked perfectly.

Time to board the Honwave is soon.
You going to PNG or similar?

Anyone out over the holiday period?
I was going out tonight but after a swing via Pen Y Ghent this morning, I am going to give it a miss.
There is so much water everywhere that even my 'hot spots' will be flooded.

Next week.....

On another note, anyone got a Robens Starlight 1 or 2? They've pricked my ears up.
No camping goodies for me at Xmas* although I've just taken delivery of some new wheels....Inov-8 Roclite Pro G 400. Swing on by to their website. Some bargains.

*some shite from Alipexpress arrived though :lol:

Anyone out over the holiday period?
I was going out tonight but after a swing via Pen Y Ghent this morning, I am going to give it a miss.
There is so much water everywhere that even my 'hot spots' will be flooded.

Next week.....

On another note, anyone got a Robens Starlight 1 or 2? They've pricked my ears up.
No camping goodies for me at Xmas* although I've just taken delivery of some new wheels....Inov-8 Roclite Pro G 400. Swing on by to their website. Some bargains.

*some shite from Alipexpress arrived though :lol:

Been meaning to do an overnighter in Northumberland, not far from Alwinton to see if I can get a good long exposure of the Milky Way, but it’s been too windy/ cloudy for me to commit. Not back at work until the 15th so might find a window of opportunity.

Got a few camping related presents for Christmas, but the stand out one was the Sea to Summit XPot. Massive but not when it’s collapsed.

Not been anywhere for a while, the incessant rain is a ballache and on the few occasions I've had a potential night away wind and rain have been too much.
Got a week off in January coming up so hopefully get away sometime then. If I can get over the Lakes I'll be heading up Wetherlam Fell hopefully but it's a case of wait and see with the weather at the minute

Used to have a Starlight 1 but didn't use much as got a Alpkit Delta the next year which only weighs a kilo & has a lot more room. No chance of getting one of them now as they were sold off cheap (£60) by Alpkit due to a manufacturing/design error which made a baggy inner which was easily solved by a couple of elastic bands. The Starlight worked fine but was a bit claustrophobic & weighed 2kg.

Back