Wild Camping

What pannier/bag carriers are you both using on the front forks?

My mate is using a Topeak Tetrarack M1 (black Trek). This is a demountable rack that straps onto suspension forks. I’ve got a Swiss Army Bike rack which I bought off eBay and can’t find anything about it online 😂

We both have Altura Arran 16 bags as I recommended what I had.
I’ve bought another two and plan to adapt them to fit the rear rack on mine so I’m using four, but then not have anything on the top part of the rack. It’s easier to access stuff inside and four will be more than I need for a one or two day trip.

My mate is using a Topeak Tetrarack M1 (black Trek). This is a demountable rack that straps onto suspension forks. I’ve got a Swiss Army Bike rack which I bought off eBay and can’t find anything about it online 😂

We both have Altura Arran 16 bags as I recommended what I had.
I’ve bought another two and plan to adapt them to fit the rear rack on mine so I’m using four, but then not have anything on the top part of the rack. It’s easier to access stuff inside and four will be more than I need for a one or two day trip.

Been thinking of getting stuff for my MTB. Have enough stuff for my gravel bike but always fancied getting something to get further off-road than my gravel will let me

Been thinking of getting stuff for my MTB. Have enough stuff for my gravel bike but always fancied getting something to get further off-road than my gravel will let me

I’ve got my retro Orange set up as my main bikepacking rig. But it’s not set up for proper off road as the wheels and tyres are more gravel oriented.
I plan to get a tetrarack and use the Aereo spider that’s on the Orange as it’s demountable so I can replicate the set up on my newer ht mtb if I need something a little more robust.
The bags then work universally between both bikes.

Am I being daft here but how do I (without linking to an external site) upload a photo?

Out in the Alpkit Elan last Friday. Always got on well with this bit suffered from condensation. Went a bit too nuclear with the sleeping bag (Alpkit Pipedream 400) so that won't have helped.
Oh and here's an Alpkit discount code for orders over £20 - MBR*YB61UT67

Last edited:
Am I being daft here but how do I (without linking to an external site) upload a photo?

Out in the Alpkit Elan last Friday. Always got on well with this bit suffered from condensation. Went a bit too nuclear with the sleeping bag (Alpkit Pipedream 400) so that won't have helped.
Oh and here's an Alpkit discount code for orders over £20 - MBR*YB61UT67

I know you said not an external site, I use postimage.org:

Simple to upload then copy the link into a post on here.

Anyone use a PLB? Been looking at this one, anyone had any experience of using them?

Off somewhere rather remote and no roads so thinking about one - any experience would be great.

@Kevj
@Jon Dough
@Smiler
@rokerman

Anyone use a PLB? Been looking at this one, anyone had any experience of using them?

Off somewhere rather remote and no roads so thinking about one - any experience would be great.

@Kevj
@Jon Dough
@Smiler
@rokerman

I am actually getting one Jeffers for next years Mont Blanc trek,Er indoors told me to get one for her peace of mind 🫤 I am popping into a few outdoor shops to get specs (specifications not spectacles),where you off to that’s remote Jeffers SR5?

@Kevj
@Jon Dough
@Smiler
@rokerman

I’ve got a jacket with Recco (Revolution Race cyclone) and I have Live 360 on my phone. if I’m going somewhere with no signal, I share the location and route with someone.

I am actually getting one Jeffers for next years Mont Blanc trek,Er indoors told me to get one for her peace of mind 🫤 I am popping into a few outdoor shops to get specs (specifications not spectacles),where you off to that’s remote Jeffers SR5?
I’m sworn to secrecy sorry but we are going by boat and wild camping. There is nothing there at all. So we have to take all our drink with us. It’s a fairly small boat too and we are just thinking about what would happen if one of us had an accident or something.

I’m sworn to secrecy sorry but we are going by boat and wild camping. There is nothing there at all. So we have to take all our drink with us. It’s a fairly small boat too and we are just thinking about what would happen if one of us had an accident or something.
Going by boat eh?It IS SR5 I knew it 😉 nudge,nudge,wink,wink a nods as good as a word to a blind leper 😉

I’ve got a jacket with Recco (Revolution Race cyclone) and I have Live 360 on my phone. if I’m going somewhere with no signal, I share the location and route with someone.

Similar to me. I let the missus know where I am likely to be and what time I will be back.
When I do some long distance hikes I share my location through Google Maps - although haven't done that for ages to save battery.

I was put off by the subscription charges for some of them.

My mate was in Scotland recently and as he was going up he met this old boy coming down. He fancied a breather so they stopped for a chat. The old bloke was on his first walk after a fall last year when he broke his hip. It was evening time and he knew no one would be coming up at that time so he just made himself as comfortable as he could and waited until the first people came up the next morning.

His missus went mental with him and made him get a PLB. That got us thinking about safety when you are in remote areas.

£400 is a lot for a bit of kit that you might never use but it might be the best £400 you ever spent if you have an accident.

My mate was in Scotland recently and as he was going up he met this old boy coming down. He fancied a breather so they stopped for a chat. The old bloke was on his first walk after a fall last year when he broke his hip. It was evening time and he knew no one would be coming up at that time so he just made himself as comfortable as he could and waited until the first people came up the next morning.

His missus went mental with him and made him get a PLB. That got us thinking about safety when you are in remote areas.

£400 is a lot for a bit of kit that you might never use but it might be the best £400 you ever spent if you have an accident.
Better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it Jeffers 🫤

Similar to me. I let the missus know where I am likely to be and what time I will be back.
When I do some long distance hikes I share my location through Google Maps - although haven't done that for ages to save battery.

I was put off by the subscription charges for some of them.

I use Outdoor Active app which is free, but the subscription also give you full UK OS maps and ‘buddy beacon’ which transmits your live location to others with the app.

I have never used any electronics,and been to some pretty wild places,but ‘er indoors gets nervous so will invest.Going to mont tremblant national park this weekend hiking 1500 sq km.

Back