Why football is dying a death due to the 'big' teams revenue!

• Thread starter Deleted member 6694
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
French Clubs are going to have a walkout at the end of November. And their clubs are usually very solvent.
That's got nothing to do with the state of football club finaces and how solvent they are though............its because the government instead of taxing the players more have decided to pass legislation that taxes the clubs directly...........

Have I understood that correctly? You're saying Man Utd aren't one of the top 7 teams in England. :eek:

I was watching the table.. :lol:[DOUBLEPOST=1382795554][/DOUBLEPOST]
Say what you want about th actual sport itself but way the NFL works is absolutely superb when its comes to competing on a level playing field

All American leagues operate like that, and it works yes..somewhat at least because in the end the clubs with most income tend to win most titles even in America.
But as I stated earlier, they are closed shop..the clubs have all bought a permanent place in their leagues.

Last edited:
Whenever I discuss football I feel a hairs breath away from giving it up completely.
  • The ticket prices
  • The £1mil per position in the League yet only £1mil for winning the FA Cup
  • The Europa League taking a full half season (19 games to win)
  • Bardsley on £30k p/w
  • Lee Hughes/Marlon King still get a contract
  • Darren Bent
  • Winning 3-0 at Chelsea, yet MotD portrayed us as crossing the halfway line 3 times
  • Rivaldo clutching his face when smacked in the legs
  • Steve Taylor being shot (if only)
  • Stewards
  • Unheard of teenagers driving ferraris
  • The World Cup in racist Russia and 50 degree Qatar
There's a thousand things I hate about the game but, unfortunately, come kick off it's "Haway Sunlun!" and for 90mins I forget the state the game is in. :(
SO TRUE

Perhaps we should welcome a European Super League - it would make the domestic leagues in Europe far more competitive.[DOUBLEPOST=1382788714][/DOUBLEPOST]
Problem is, can you see anyone outside manyoo, citeh, arse, Chelsea winning it? Tottenham maybe, particularly when they get the new stadium. Even Liverpool are also rans nowadays. I suppose five or six clubs does not compare unfavourably to other domestic leagues, but these new superdeals that manyoo are getting might blow this apart so we are left with just two or three clubs who can seriously compete.

There was a time when I was convinced that Liverpool had a God given right to titles, a time when I hated meeting my Leeds inlaws because they would patronise me, a time when Man Utd fans told me every week that their financial strength would bury us.

But you know, it´s a funny old world and no trees grow to heaven. Eventually all clubs will hit a rough spot at some time.

I see that PSG have got a nice big sponsorship deal of up to €200M a season!

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...ve-200-million-euros-sponsorship-deal?cc=5901

There is a thread redcafe are commenting about it but I can't be arsed to read it but it's a topic of discussion no doubt

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/psg-confirm-massive-sponsorship-deal.378936/

it really is going to become a big boys game in Europe isn't it? those saying that we don't fill SOL and that it affects not only the team but the finances don't realise that the match day attending fan mean a lot less compared to being the life blood just a few decades ago. SAFC match day revenue at say a generous £25 an average ticket price with an average of 40,000 a match generates a million a game so £19 million a season (minus cup games etc). As you can see this is pennies compared to the fact that Man Utd get 3 times this much a season just from Nike and PSG with end up getting 10 times that! :evil:. It's the global TV audience and advertising/sponsorship that now supports football and clubs could still play behind closed doors as long as the football on the pitch was still of a good standard

another thing that is concerning is that some believe that SAFC should just hoy more money at players and wages in the multi millions to attract better players but to be honest most know deep down that top players won't come here. The one thing that will happen is that the top players will get mega millions a season so that also means the plodders will be getting millions and for me that just appeal to me. Especially seeing as the clubs still milk the match day fans when most fans know they could drop prices thanks to TV/sponsorship/advertising/merchandising money etc and simply adjust the wage structure to absorb the drop in revenue. As the bigger clubs charge big money and people still pay then again this still has a knock on effect. How many here could afford to follow the likes of Arsenal with the cheapest season ticket being £985! (link below). Although some will be in a financial position to still go some won't. The sad fact is that there'd be someone richer who could afford it but possibly may not have the same passion you have for your team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24012939

Aye we have big crowds and decent facilities but there's still no way we'd attract any top player ever again to SAFC unless they are at the end of their career and our better players will just leave also as we've seen in recent seasons. Sadly Sunderland itself isn't that appealing to the obscenely rich players and what's sickening is that with all the money in the game we allowed this below to happen. Once a great ship building region, this could have been something to build a maritime museum and inject something into the city but sadly it isn't to be

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-24179127

aye, we will still get the odd win against the top teams and Mags but winning the league will never happen again for SAFC so football is already dead in that respect. Our only hope is being the best of the rest and live in the hope of getting into Europe . Another dream is a cup run and some are willing to sacrifice relegation for a cup win but are the cups still as magic as they once were as more and more teams play 2nd string players? Plus will that not be costly in the long run?

With no disrespect to those who attend week in week out home and away, just having big crowds doesn't mean we should be competing with the big boys and SAFC would no doubt still survive with the crowds that other clubs get. It's as if some kid has got hold of football and has enabled cheat mode as the gap at the top regarding revenue etc is exponentially growing year on year. I'm just glad I was around when football was a closer thing (even if Liverpool seemed to win everything) and not just some rich play thing while the rest fight ower the scraps. It must be strange as a young 'un now seeing all this money and not realising that only a few decades ago players cost less than £1 million and they were on £100's a week wages ;)

:rant ower!:

p.s. fuck me did I just write all that shite? I know it won't be perfect and I could say more but hopefully you get the idea of the post :lol:

In this thread everyone is highlighting city as the example of too much money. What about chelsea? Or man united? Spurs? Or the mags? Leeds even tried to do it, and they ran out! Stop using city as a scapegoat; all clubs try to do it to compete, and tbh I think its shit aswell. I'm all in for this new league without the 'super clubs'. But there would be no more derbies, cas barcelona would need to be in the same league as their main rivals man utd
Tbf to manyooo who i f***ing hate have built it steady on the back of you knarr being man utd getting biger crowds than the rest etc which has put them in the position to spend whatever they like. You cant say that for city or chealski they had pretty much won nowt for years before the money showed up. Not saying owt against the supporters of those clubs not the ones that had been about in the shite years, id take it tomorrow if someone bought safc something anything.[DOUBLEPOST=1383731970][/DOUBLEPOST]
Say what you want about th actual sport itself but way the NFL works is absolutely superb when its comes to competing on a level playing field
It is mate fuck nearly all american sports are ran like that, it means almost an even playing field.

Tbf to manyooo who i f***ing hate have built it steady on the back of you knarr being man utd getting biger crowds than the rest etc which has put them in the position to spend whatever they like. You cant say that for city or chealski they had pretty much won nowt for years before the money showed up. Not saying owt against the supporters of those clubs not the ones that had been about in the shite years, id take it tomorrow if someone bought safc something anything.

here's a thread for you ;)

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/sunderland-red-bull.826913/

I'd absolutely hate to be bought as a play thing for a Oil Billionaire who wants to buy every fucker - like you said, its boring when you cheat on Footy Manager, and this is the same thing.

Salary Cap / Draft System / Local players would be the saviour of football. No chance of it happening, though.
I know what you mean. I sort of feel sorry for Man City, a proper club with great traditions and all that but I kind of can't take them seriously now. Its like watching the Harlem Globetrotters (or probs will be on sunday).

I know what you mean. I sort of feel sorry for Man City, a proper club with great traditions and all that but I kind of can't take them seriously now. Its like watching the Harlem Globetrotters (or probs will be on sunday).
It is, I find it really boring. When I have a kick around with the lads, we always try to make the teams even as it makes for a better game. If one side gets too far ahead we switch the players around.

It's really pointless playing in a league that you cannot win. I don't like the premier league, the big teams have a massive financial advantage and it ruins the competition. I honest enjoy watching sunderland more when we are in Division 2 (It really shouldn't be called the championship). Better away days, less sterile stadiums, chance or both winning and losing the league.

It's a shame the FA can't sort it out like the yanks have.

I'd absolutely hate to be bought as a play thing for a Oil Billionaire who wants to buy every fucker - like you said, its boring when you cheat on Footy Manager, and this is the same thing.

Salary Cap / Draft System / Local players would be the saviour of football. No chance of it happening, though.

I'd love it me. We've got a texan billionaire at the moment and we've got 4 points. I'd love someone to buy everyone good instead of buying shite.

Any sporting leagues become boring if they are not competitive and if the teams in the league cannot realistically win or come second, or third etc. etc.

The Champions League is held up as the pinnacle of club football, fans from all clubs around the world tune in and fund it yet pretty much all the revenue from it goes to the clubs who are in it and the fact that they are in it every year means they get stronger and stronger and less likely ever not to be in it.

The authorities aren't going to do anything so maybe it's time that fans all over the world stopped watching it.

Those saying football could operate with no supporters in the stadiums are wrong. TV audiences would switch off with a sterile empty stadium. We may just be extras these days but the product would be nothing without us.

They should consider that when deciding on ticket prices and where the TV/Sponsorship revenue goes.

For my sins, this year I have become quite interested in baseball. Largely through a lad at work who's a big fan and gave me his log in so I can watch any game any time on my tablet and phone. I love cricket and can see a lot of similarities between the two sports.

I thought I would check out ticket prices etc and it turns out the normal price is something like $100 for a half decent seat and that most of the top sides sell out every game. Admittedly there are some tickets available at maybe $30 in the cheap seats for some games. That might not seem very surprising until you realise that each team plays 162 games per season, 81 at home and 81 away, and the play offs can be as many as another 19 on top of that. They play 6 games a week and yet the Boston Red Sox sold out every game for something like 10 years running and apparently the New York Yankees have sold out for even longer than that.

That's the way the premier league is going for the successful sides. They will build up such a massive world wide fan base that they can sell tickets to tourists on a Tuesday night at pretty much any price they choose. Its the Japenese equivalent of visiting a Broadway or West end show. If you go to London or New York you see a show in the West end or on Broadway. Now you also see a baseball/gridiron/basketball game or see a premier league game as well.

Sunderland don't have that sort of advantage and sadly never will.
went to my first baseball game in april,was a team called the greenville drive in south carolina,there a feeder team for the boston red sox,$5 to get in and it was really good

sadly these days football could quite easily live without the matchday fan

This. Easily. The paying fan is irrelevent.

German clubs have realised this and cut ticket prices to next to nowt because fans are there to create an atmosphere not to fund the club.

The greedy fuckers in this country are still fleecing the fans for as much as they can get!

This. Easily. The paying fan is irrelevent.

German clubs have realised this and cut ticket prices to next to nowt because fans are there to create an atmosphere not to fund the club.

The greedy fuckers in this country are still fleecing the fans for as much as they can get!

They can't exist without the match day fan, hence why they cut prices to ensure they came.

For my sins, this year I have become quite interested in baseball. Largely through a lad at work who's a big fan and gave me his log in so I can watch any game any time on my tablet and phone. I love cricket and can see a lot of similarities between the two sports.

I thought I would check out ticket prices etc and it turns out the normal price is something like $100 for a half decent seat and that most of the top sides sell out every game. Admittedly there are some tickets available at maybe $30 in the cheap seats for some games. That might not seem very surprising until you realise that each team plays 162 games per season, 81 at home and 81 away, and the play offs can be as many as another 19 on top of that. They play 6 games a week and yet the Boston Red Sox sold out every game for something like 10 years running and apparently the New York Yankees have sold out for even longer than that.

That's the way the premier league is going for the successful sides. They will build up such a massive world wide fan base that they can sell tickets to tourists on a Tuesday night at pretty much any price they choose. Its the Japenese equivalent of visiting a Broadway or West end show. If you go to London or New York you see a show in the West end or on Broadway. Now you also see a baseball/gridiron/basketball game or see a premier league game as well.

Sunderland don't have that sort of advantage and sadly never will.

Ive been to a few baseball games in the past. And never paid more than $30 for a ticket.

Also - re the bit in bold. I was at a Yankees game just earlier this year and there were at least 10,000 empty seats

They can't exist without the match day fan, hence why they cut prices to ensure they came.

Its semantics. They can exist with the fans money, but can't exist with the fan.

Its a case of selling the sizzle not the sausage. The media & sponsors want packed stadiums. Cheap tickets in German make this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back