Why football is dying a death due to the 'big' teams revenue!

• Thread starter Deleted member 6694
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6694

£300M for Man Utd for a deal with Nike over 5 years!?!?!?! and they reckon it could be a £billion overall

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/off-the-pitch/man-utd/news/man-utd-secure-gbp300m-nike-deal_113501.html

Manchester United have reportedly secured a five-year extension with American sports brand Nike worth a world-record £300m.

The Premier League champions, who are said to have been in talks with the corporation for some weeks, are also believed to have been given sales rights for their kits.

It is understood that the new deal will more than triple the annual amount the North-West outfit currently receive under their terms with Nike, according to The Sun.

Reports have claimed that these fresh terms could rake in close to £1billion in revenue for the Red Devils.

that's £60M a season from the sponsorship alone or £200M with the 'sales rights'. Even the £60M is easily 3 times more than we get in attendance money with a rough guestimate of 40K average at £20 a ticket! but to possibly have a £200M income on top of all the others just means teams like SAFC will be cannon fodder and fight for the scraps as the best players will simply be snapped up with ease :evil:

the crap thing is that this will no doubt mean even more obscene wages for their players and huge signings hitting £100M. Therefore the rest will no doubt play catch up and players like Bardsley will end up on £100K a week in a few years time and a decent player will be £25M+ :rolleyes:

bit sickening to be honest and it's sad that football is already unbelievably wealthy and with this deal, there's no doubt its still on the rise and therefore creating a even bigger big gap in possibilities of any other smaller team ever being successful by building a decent team. In a few years even if some rich bloke comes along and buys a team of 11 £25M players on £100K a week with 4 year contracts then thats £330M for players and £228M for wages. So that's over £550M for a top team of just 11 players.

That is just f***ing ridiculous now like it's not football at all, or at least not like I used to know. I'm just glad I saw football from a few years ago when the money wasn't as stupid as it is now. It must be a bit crap for kids who don't follow the big clubs knowing that there's little f***ing chance of success in the league. I suppose there's always the cups as it would still be an experience but even they've lost a little bit of the 'magic' :(

Can´t even remember a season when I didn´t heard that football was dead or dying.. my dad (staunch Stalybridge Celtic fan) used to go on about it when I was just a kid, nowadays he enjoys my ST at The Etihad for free and are so much more philosophical about it :rolleyes:

The cost of a ticket is the reason football is dying, take this weekend £38 - £40 for a ticket its an utter disgrace.

sadly these days football could quite easily live without the matchday fan :evil:. It may be still dying for those who can't (or in my case won't) pay it due to the high prices. The attraction of wanting to watch football is there still but the 'magic' of it is dwindling and it just isn't the same for most

yet go back to the late 80's and gate receipts were obviously a lot more meaningful to clubs. Now it's all about TV, sponsorship, merchandise etc and gate receipts could be seen as a bonus. Even if the team was shit, money in the game wasn't really a major factor but nowadays it seems to be

obviously it's supply and demand and if most teams get decent crowds but still with room to fluctuate for bigger matches then they will charge those prices accordingly. It would be financially stupid to charge £10 and sellout each week with a crowd of 47K as that would only rake in £9M which is fuck all. There's no doubt a club could afford £10 tickets but then demand would far outstrip supply which in a business sense isn't good. Even the £18M or so SAFC currently get (40K average at say £20 a ticket average with concessions etc) isn't exactly that great, especially when it's not even a 3rd of that Nike deal for Man United! We'd need an average crowd of over 120,000 to get the same money!

Sky have got us to where we are so fairly safe to say they will take the game to where the money is. Probably a European league as suggested by zombies. When you consider the sponsorship money, sky money and all the other income it's a disgrace the money charged for tickets. It's also clear that changes in football are all done to protect the interests of the chairman not for the benefit of the game in general.

the sad fact is, that some here would accept a sell out and some super rich owner coming in and buying that £550M team even if it meant changing everything about the club :oops:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/sunderland-red-bull.826913/

aye we sold out a bit with Drumaville etc but that was more to do with people making money but not a huge scale as we didn't exactly break any transfer/wage records ;)

it would be like playing Footy Manager as a kid (or adult if you still enjoy this kinda stuff) and cheating. Feels good but no way the same as doing it the hard way[DOUBLEPOST=1382739432][/DOUBLEPOST]
Sky have got us to where we are so fairly safe to say they will take the game to where the money is. Probably a European league as suggested by zombies. When you consider the sponsorship money, sky money and all the other income it's a disgrace the money charged for tickets. It's also clear that changes in football are all done to protect the interests of the chairman not for the benefit of the game in general.

even with prices at the level they are, last season 17 teams had an average attendance that was at least 90% of the capacity. We were 18th with 82% but means fuck all when you think we still got around 40K average and it's only the fact we have a bigger capacity than most we have a low %. Same goes for Villa in 19th with 82% as they still got 35K average so plenty of revenue generated. It's only Wigan who were last with 76% and 19K average out of possible 25K that were poor but no doubt due to being 20-25 miles within Manchester and Liverpool not helping!

http://talksport.com/magazine/featu...rage-crowd-percentage-stadium-capacity-198211

so like I said, having lower ticket prices would mean more full houses but then means a lot of lost revenue. Clubs will no doubt be happy to keep charging whatever they can to get 90%+ averages

Last edited by a moderator:
For my sins, this year I have become quite interested in baseball. Largely through a lad at work who's a big fan and gave me his log in so I can watch any game any time on my tablet and phone. I love cricket and can see a lot of similarities between the two sports.

I thought I would check out ticket prices etc and it turns out the normal price is something like $100 for a half decent seat and that most of the top sides sell out every game. Admittedly there are some tickets available at maybe $30 in the cheap seats for some games. That might not seem very surprising until you realise that each team plays 162 games per season, 81 at home and 81 away, and the play offs can be as many as another 19 on top of that. They play 6 games a week and yet the Boston Red Sox sold out every game for something like 10 years running and apparently the New York Yankees have sold out for even longer than that.

That's the way the premier league is going for the successful sides. They will build up such a massive world wide fan base that they can sell tickets to tourists on a Tuesday night at pretty much any price they choose. Its the Japenese equivalent of visiting a Broadway or West end show. If you go to London or New York you see a show in the West end or on Broadway. Now you also see a baseball/gridiron/basketball game or see a premier league game as well.

Sunderland don't have that sort of advantage and sadly never will.

the sad fact is, that some here would accept a sell out and some super rich owner coming in and buying that £550M team even if it meant changing everything about the club :oops:

I'd absolutely hate to be bought as a play thing for a Oil Billionaire who wants to buy every fucker - like you said, its boring when you cheat on Footy Manager, and this is the same thing.

Salary Cap / Draft System / Local players would be the saviour of football. No chance of it happening, though.

Can´t even remember a season when I didn´t heard that football was dead or dying.. my dad (staunch Stalybridge Celtic fan) used to go on about it when I was just a kid, nowadays he enjoys my ST at The Etihad for free and are so much more philosophical about it :rolleyes:

Its as dull as dishwater because of plastic clubs like yours. Wenger calls it financial doping. I call it ruining English football.

Football is experiencing something of a 'bubble'. But bubbles are also notoriously and historically prone to bursting.

I'd love the 'big' clubs to all fuck off and form a European superleague. Leave the rest of us to contest a more even top flight, and if we have to go back to Divisions 1 to 4 with little sky interest so be it.[DOUBLEPOST=1382742573][/DOUBLEPOST]
Football is experiencing something of a 'bubble'. But bubbles are also notoriously and historically prone to bursting.

I keep thinking that but it shows no signs of happening at the top level where the £ is.

Whenever I discuss football I feel a hairs breath away from giving it up completely.
  • The ticket prices
  • The £1mil per position in the League yet only £1mil for winning the FA Cup
  • The Europa League taking a full half season (19 games to win)
  • Bardsley on £30k p/w
  • Lee Hughes/Marlon King still get a contract
  • Darren Bent
  • Winning 3-0 at Chelsea, yet MotD portrayed us as crossing the halfway line 3 times
  • Rivaldo clutching his face when smacked in the legs
  • Steve Taylor being shot (if only)
  • Stewards
  • Unheard of teenagers driving ferraris
  • The World Cup in racist Russia and 50 degree Qatar
There's a thousand things I hate about the game but, unfortunately, come kick off it's "Haway Sunlun!" and for 90mins I forget the state the game is in. :(

Just buy cheaper foreign players instead overpriced mediocre domestic ones.

Its as dull as dishwater because of plastic clubs like yours. Wenger calls it financial doping. I call it ruining English football.

Noticed that wenger doesn´t say anything about it since their new Emirates deal (£30m p.a) and spending £42m on Özil, but yes..ruining football was exactly what my dad used to say about 40-45 years ago. No doubt his father had similar views and you know what, in the future when there´s an NFL style SUPER BRITISH LEAGUE with no promotions or relegations I´ll have a good moan to my grandchildrens kids that once any club could rise to the top just having a bit of luck and spending money before they chucked out the non-achievers and small markets and invited teams from Leeds, Sheffield and Glasgow instead.

Noticed that wenger doesn´t say anything about it since their new Emirates deal (£30m p.a) and spending £42m on Özil, but yes..ruining football was exactly what my dad used to say about 40-45 years ago. No doubt his father had similar views and you know what, in the future when there´s an NFL style SUPER BRITISH LEAGUE with no promotions or relegations I´ll have a good moan to my grandchildrens kids that once any club could rise to the top just having a bit of luck and spending money before they chucked out the non-achievers and small markets and invited teams from Leeds, Sheffield and Glasgow instead.
Absolute bollocks. Your dad said that money was ruining football as a competition in the 60s 70s and 80? Even the early 90s teams who were promoted could compete. Forest, newcastle, ipswich, leeds, sheff wed and us showed this. Its over for us now. Its finished now. Its not a competition now for leeds, villa, forest, sheff wed, newcastle, everton, sunderland and the rest. We're also rans. It doesn't matter who we get in as manager, what players we get in. Its over as a competition. The only hope we have is that some oil baron with cash to burn decides he wants a vanity project. That's it. We can do nothing else. You lot didn't achieve this. You weren't managed better than the rest, didn't have a better youth system or show more nous in the transfer market. You didn't do anything better than the also rans.

How is this a competition any longer?

I'll say it again, see if it sinks in this time. Money has destroyed football as a competition. You lot are at the forefront.

French Clubs are going to have a walkout at the end of November. And their clubs are usually very solvent.

Wouldn't actually be shocked at this point if the endgame was an actual "European Superleague" for the biggest of the big teams and American-style salary cap leagues everywhere else.
Hope so!

Just leave us, mags, villa, Everton, Southampton, Norwich etc etc to play in a much more even and competitive English league. Maybe got Celtic and Rangers in to spice it up a bit.

I'm in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back