Why football is dying a death due to the 'big' teams revenue!

• Thread starter Deleted member 6694
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
MLB is just huge over there, some of the wages players can earn make Ronaldo's pay cheque look like small change. Sure mani Ramirez was on summit like $80 million a season, and that was a few years back.

Selling out a soccer match against man utd ain't no big thing really, ain't there about 20 million ppl live in NY alone?

I found when I met ppl over there watching football they tended to Mexicans, Peruvians or Irish - very few white Americans anyway..

I'd like to think it's because the Americans recognise that the essence of sporting competition is equality of opportunity, and that the normal rules of capitalism don't apply. UInfortunately, we have allowed a bunch of glory-hunting bastards to adopt exactly the opposite approach in Europe.

It has to do keeping the sports teams in the middle of the country profitable. If those teams weren't profitable their owners would likely move or sell the teams. If they moved those teams in St Louis, Memphis, etc to bigger cities on the coasts, those big market teams would make less money from competition and the leagues would make less money as a whole because the National TV deals would be smaller since there wouldn't be join in every region.

By big teams sharing with small teams they are make more money.[DOUBLEPOST=1383762297][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's not really massive though is it? It's still irrelevant to the masses.

Yes and no. Most people over 40 don't care about soccer in the States, but it is the fastest growing sport of people under 25.[DOUBLEPOST=1383762626][/DOUBLEPOST]
The "EPL" as you call it, is shown on network TV just after the children's hour ends, it's hardly prime time. Hardly anyone will watch. It's really all that popular with the masses over there. I've got in-laws and their family over there and not one of them are remotely bothered, despite being sports fans.

1) It will always be EPL to most Americans. Barclays doesn't mean anything to most of us.

2) You are are right. The games start at 4:45 am on the west coast and end around noon or so. Hardly primetime.[DOUBLEPOST=1383763156][/DOUBLEPOST]
Reading this thread drives it home how fking ridiculous the game has become, and how we can do zilch about it...

Just hope the Germans hand Europes finest(richest) there arses again - I'm supporting every German team this year, fuck man utd, city, Madrid etc.

Also, I would find it hilarious if "soccer" become a huge sport in America, wtf would all the European teams do then when everyone wanna play in the USA.

I have a city fan here with me, silly wanka is having a breakdown because I said city historically are not one of England's biggest clubs, fking play thing for an Arab and nothing else...

Prick has forgot the last 100 years when they sucked donkey balls like most other teams :rolleyes:

Soccer will become bigger in the US than any of the European countries in 20-30 years because the US will develop a huge league of 30-32 teams like the other American sports with no relegation and shared revenue and marketing and they will generate $8-9 Billion a year like the NFL, NBA, and MLB do.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an American I'd like to clarify a few things. Soccer, while rapidly growing in popularity is not, and will not be the 2nd most popular sport here for a long time. Baseball, though miles behind the NFL in terms of popularity and earnings, is still extremely popular. Television ratings are down but attendance is up. Eight teams had a total attendance of over 3 million fans for the last season. Four teams averaged over 40,000 fans per game and that's with an 81 game home schedule! The difference between baseball and the NFL is that baseball is more of a regional sport where as the NFL is truly national. Most baseball fans won't watch a game unless it involves their team, while (American) football fans will be happy to watch a game between two horrible teams just because its (American) Football.

The popularity of soccer in the states is growing a lot and is miles from where it was even 10 years ago. I'm 26 and growing up nobody really cared about it. At that time you'd be lucky to see one game a week, probably on tape delay. Now I can watch every Premier League game every week, plus dozens of games from the Brundesliga, La Liga, even Ligue 1. People who used to insult me because I played soccer now have favorite BPL teams (most are Chelsea or Man Utd fans, because of course) and interest is definitely at an all time high.

The MLS is a different story though. Outside of a select few markets its really not that big of a deal. Look at the National ratings, nobody really cares. I live in New Jersey and passively support Red Bull, I live about 14 miles from their stadium but haven't been to a match this season. I'll probably watch their playoff match tonight but if they lose I won't be gutted. The level of play is such a drop off of what I can watch from Europe that its hard to get worked up over what is essentially a minor league squad. Most of my soccer loving friends feel the same way, they are obsessed with the BPL but pretty much indifferent to MLS. Until MLS can raise their standard of play it'll never be the #2 sport in the country.

Time will tell. I don't think you'll be right though. Why else aren't the TV rights worth more?

As for Portland getting 70,000 sell outs. Their average crowd last season was 20,674 which they say is 100% of capacity.

Source : http://mlsattendance.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/stadium-renovation

TV rights for soccer will never be worth quite much as other American sports regardless of viewership because American Sports have many more stoppages for TV commercials.

He probably meant Seattle.[DOUBLEPOST=1383764240][/DOUBLEPOST]
Argentina play bosnia in a couple of weeks at missouri t igers stadium 80'000 capacity i think and will sell out easily
Ibisevic played for St. Louis in college. Not sure if there is a big Bosnian population in St. Louis but it should definitely be full.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any sporting leagues become boring if they are not competitive and if the teams in the league cannot realistically win or come second, or third etc. etc.

The Champions League is held up as the pinnacle of club football, fans from all clubs around the world tune in and fund it yet pretty much all the revenue from it goes to the clubs who are in it and the fact that they are in it every year means they get stronger and stronger and less likely ever not to be in it.

The authorities aren't going to do anything so maybe it's time that fans all over the world stopped watching it.

I would like to see fans show how much they matter, maybe on a full Saturday program all the clubs supporters stay quiet for the entire second half. We've all seen the game behind closed doors on TV and they are crap without fans. Im in the "Wont pay that for a ticket club" now, Prices will have to halve before I go back, The money some players are getting is scandalous while people working for the clubs get minimum wages and have to suffer the abuse of fans because the team is shit.
I could go on but it makes me angry!

£300M for Man Utd for a deal with Nike over 5 years!?!?!?! and they reckon it could be a £billion overall

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/off-the-pitch/man-utd/news/man-utd-secure-gbp300m-nike-deal_113501.html

that's £60M a season from the sponsorship alone or £200M with the 'sales rights'. Even the £60M is easily 3 times more than we get in attendance money with a rough guestimate of 40K average at £20 a ticket! but to possibly have a £200M income on top of all the others just means teams like SAFC will be cannon fodder and fight for the scraps as the best players will simply be snapped up with ease :evil:

the crap thing is that this will no doubt mean even more obscene wages for their players and huge signings hitting £100M. Therefore the rest will no doubt play catch up and players like Bardsley will end up on £100K a week in a few years time and a decent player will be £25M+ :rolleyes:

bit sickening to be honest and it's sad that football is already unbelievably wealthy and with this deal, there's no doubt its still on the rise and therefore creating a even bigger big gap in possibilities of any other smaller team ever being successful by building a decent team. In a few years even if some rich bloke comes along and buys a team of 11 £25M players on £100K a week with 4 year contracts then thats £330M for players and £228M for wages. So that's over £550M for a top team of just 11 players.

That is just f***ing ridiculous now like it's not football at all, or at least not like I used to know. I'm just glad I saw football from a few years ago when the money wasn't as stupid as it is now. It must be a bit crap for kids who don't follow the big clubs knowing that there's little f***ing chance of success in the league. I suppose there's always the cups as it would still be an experience but even they've lost a little bit of the 'magic' :(

Luckily, most of the money goes to either manure's owners or servicing the debt they saddled the club with. If the Edwards had not cashed in manu would be stupid rich

That was a one off for Clint Dempsey though?

I think they draw over 60,000 for all the Portland and Seattle games, around 40,000 for the rest. I am not really sure, but it's more than a one off. I think their average attendance is around 45,000

As an American I'd like to clarify a few things. Soccer, while rapidly growing in popularity is not, and will not be the 2nd most popular sport here for a long time. Baseball, though miles behind the NFL in terms of popularity and earnings, is still extremely popular. Television ratings are down but attendance is up. Eight teams had a total attendance of over 3 million fans for the last season. Four teams averaged over 40,000 fans per game and that's with an 81 game home schedule! The difference between baseball and the NFL is that baseball is more of a regional sport where as the NFL is truly national. Most baseball fans won't watch a game unless it involves their team, while (American) football fans will be happy to watch a game between two horrible teams just because its (American) Football.

The popularity of soccer in the states is growing a lot and is miles from where it was even 10 years ago. I'm 26 and growing up nobody really cared about it. At that time you'd be lucky to see one game a week, probably on tape delay. Now I can watch every Premier League game every week, plus dozens of games from the Brundesliga, La Liga, even Ligue 1. People who used to insult me because I played soccer now have favorite BPL teams (most are Chelsea or Man Utd fans, because of course) and interest is definitely at an all time high.

The MLS is a different story though. Outside of a select few markets its really not that big of a deal. Look at the National ratings, nobody really cares. I live in New Jersey and passively support Red Bull, I live about 14 miles from their stadium but haven't been to a match this season. I'll probably watch their playoff match tonight but if they lose I won't be gutted. The level of play is such a drop off of what I can watch from Europe that its hard to get worked up over what is essentially a minor league squad. Most of my soccer loving friends feel the same way, they are obsessed with the BPL but pretty much indifferent to MLS. Until MLS can raise their standard of play it'll never be the #2 sport in the country.

But surely they will all realise very soon that American Football and basketball are rubbish? I mean, it's really obvious ;);)

I think they draw over 60,000 for all the Portland and Seattle games, around 40,000 for the rest. I am not really sure, but it's more than a one off. I think their average attendance is around 45,000

44,038 average. Not bad, they're the best supported club in the USA though.

League average is 18,608

All that money and Man U's fan will still get screwed with ticketr prices, no sympathy if im honest tho.

44,038 average. Not bad, they're the best supported club in the USA though.

League average is 18,608

I must have misunderstood you. Seattle's attendance as a whole is a one off. I thought you meant Dempsey's first game where they drew about 70,000, which I dont think is a one off because has big crowd often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back