Why football is dying a death due to the 'big' teams revenue!

• Thread starter Deleted member 6694
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can´t even remember a season when I didn´t heard that football was dead or dying.. my dad (staunch Stalybridge Celtic fan) used to go on about it when I was just a kid, nowadays he enjoys my ST at The Etihad for free and are so much more philosophical about it :rolleyes:

Nowt against City or Chelsea but they are prime examples of how the game is going to rat shit. Rarely has it been so irrefutably boring. Results are fairly predictable and every show is blah blah blah man U blah blah blah the special one. I rarely bother my arse with any game that does not feature SAFC. Once over Id watch them all.

Absolute bollocks. Your dad said that money was ruining football as a competition in the 60s 70s and 80? Even the early 90s teams who were promoted could compete. Forest, newcastle, ipswich, leeds, sheff wed and us showed this. Its over for us now. Its finished now. Its not a competition now for leeds, villa, forest, sheff wed, newcastle, everton, sunderland and the rest. We're also rans. It doesn't matter who we get in as manager, what players we get in. Its over as a competition. The only hope we have is that some oil baron with cash to burn decides he wants a vanity project. That's it. We can do nothing else. You lot didn't achieve this. You weren't managed better than the rest, didn't have a better youth system or show more nous in the transfer market. You didn't do anything better than the also rans.

How is this a competition any longer?

I'll say it again, see if it sinks in this time. Money has destroyed football as a competition. You lot are at the forefront.

So you want parity?..But what kind of parity is it that a club like Barnet would struggle in the championship while Sunderland might do well because of, yes..MONEY!
You and I both know the kind of hatred and glee that lower league clubs show when they have a chance to kick a big club when it´s down, there´s no nobility in failure and clubs like Wolves are regarded as the Man United of league one sort of.
No..parity style leagues comes with a price, that price is that the leagues are closed shops and more often than not the leagues themselves grant entrance to clubs on pure commercial marketbased grounds.[DOUBLEPOST=1382776448][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nowt against City or Chelsea but they are prime examples of how the game is going to rat shit. Rarely has it been so irrefutably boring. Results are fairly predictable and every show is blah blah blah man U blah blah blah the special one. I rarely bother my arse with any game that does not feature SAFC. Once over Id watch them all.

There´s 7 teams at the top sort of right now, Man Utd is not even one of them...But it´s irrefutably more boring nowadays?

Last edited:
In this thread everyone is highlighting city as the example of too much money. What about chelsea? Or man united? Spurs? Or the mags? Leeds even tried to do it, and they ran out! Stop using city as a scapegoat; all clubs try to do it to compete, and tbh I think its shit aswell. I'm all in for this new league without the 'super clubs'. But there would be no more derbies, cas barcelona would need to be in the same league as their main rivals man utd

You can see why most of the big american sports balance things up a bit with the draft system. Difficult to implement in the same way here but i'm sure there'd be some way of incorporating some elements that keep the league marginally fair.

this. you can guarentee that if one of the big clubs is struggling in a match, they'll either get a pen or get away with something (Et'o at the weekend for instance)

Absolute bollocks. Your dad said that money was ruining football as a competition in the 60s 70s and 80? Even the early 90s teams who were promoted could compete. Forest, newcastle, ipswich, leeds, sheff wed and us showed this. Its over for us now. Its finished now. Its not a competition now for leeds, villa, forest, sheff wed, newcastle, everton, sunderland and the rest. We're also rans. It doesn't matter who we get in as manager, what players we get in. Its over as a competition. The only hope we have is that some oil baron with cash to burn decides he wants a vanity project. That's it. We can do nothing else. You lot didn't achieve this. You weren't managed better than the rest, didn't have a better youth system or show more nous in the transfer market. You didn't do anything better than the also rans.

How is this a competition any longer?

I'll say it again, see if it sinks in this time. Money has destroyed football as a competition. You lot are at the forefront.
You're not even allowed to do that by the rules anymore though. Financial fair play. So basically, the idea of competing in a league - and people seem to forget that the whole idea and purpose of competing in a league is to try and win it, not finish fourth, tenth, or 17th. That's why every clubs dream is to win the FA Cup not get knocked out in the third round. Same principle. - is by its very nature is dead.

Can´t even remember a season when I didn´t heard that football was dead or dying.. my dad (staunch Stalybridge Celtic fan) used to go on about it when I was just a kid, nowadays he enjoys my ST at The Etihad for free and are so much more philosophical about it :rolleyes:

I think it's only difficult to take when you support a shit side like we do.

If we were winning week in week out no one would care.

£300M for Man Utd for a deal with Nike over 5 years!?!?!?! and they reckon it could be a £billion overall

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/off-the-pitch/man-utd/news/man-utd-secure-gbp300m-nike-deal_113501.html

that's £60M a season from the sponsorship alone or £200M with the 'sales rights'. Even the £60M is easily 3 times more than we get in attendance money with a rough guestimate of 40K average at £20 a ticket! but to possibly have a £200M income on top of all the others just means teams like SAFC will be cannon fodder and fight for the scraps as the best players will simply be snapped up with ease :evil:

the crap thing is that this will no doubt mean even more obscene wages for their players and huge signings hitting £100M. Therefore the rest will no doubt play catch up and players like Bardsley will end up on £100K a week in a few years time and a decent player will be £25M+ :rolleyes:

bit sickening to be honest and it's sad that football is already unbelievably wealthy and with this deal, there's no doubt its still on the rise and therefore creating a even bigger big gap in possibilities of any other smaller team ever being successful by building a decent team. In a few years even if some rich bloke comes along and buys a team of 11 £25M players on £100K a week with 4 year contracts then thats £330M for players and £228M for wages. So that's over £550M for a top team of just 11 players.

That is just f***ing ridiculous now like it's not football at all, or at least not like I used to know. I'm just glad I saw football from a few years ago when the money wasn't as stupid as it is now. It must be a bit crap for kids who don't follow the big clubs knowing that there's little f***ing chance of success in the league. I suppose there's always the cups as it would still be an experience but even they've lost a little bit of the 'magic' :(
Good post; football is quickly disappearing up its own arse.

We as supporters are part of the problem as well. The vast majority all feel the same in that there is no real competition and are fed up with what the game has become. How many though decide enough is enough and stop wasting their money? We all moan on here and still turn up every week. I wish I could make the break cos I don't enjoy it like I used to but I can't.

So you want parity?..But what kind of parity is it that a club like Barnet would struggle in the championship while Sunderland might do well because of, yes..MONEY!
You and I both know the kind of hatred and glee that lower league clubs show when they have a chance to kick a big club when it´s down, there´s no nobility in failure and clubs like Wolves are regarded as the Man United of league one sort of.
No..parity style leagues comes with a price, that price is that the leagues are closed shops and more often than not the leagues themselves grant entrance to clubs on pure commercial marketbased grounds.

We generate more money than barnet because we get more supporters paying entrance than them. All I want is a league that isn't a closed shop. If we get a great manager or have the best youth system or build a team, then we'd have a chance. Like it was all the way to the early 90s. Promoted teams had a chance to compete if they had a good team. We had a chance. Now, the likes of you lot in particular, with a similar sized support base are in a different planet. Completely out of reach. Not because you did anything better but because of a mega rich arab. Where's the competition in that? Its over for us, leeds, newcastle, forest, villa, everton etc. Completely over.

Its much much more boring as a result. You've ruined any sort of competition. Not because if any skill, not because you achieved it. Because of an arab sugar daddy.

Just sitting thinking to myself today about the roker park days of old with z cars blasting away and Stan Anderson
or even Charley Hurly running out clutching the ball, happy days

We generate more money than barnet because we get more supporters paying entrance than them. All I want is a league that isn't a closed shop. If we get a great manager or have the best youth system or build a team, then we'd have a chance. Like it was all the way to the early 90s. Promoted teams had a chance to compete if they had a good team. We had a chance. Now, the likes of you lot in particular, with a similar sized support base are in a different planet. Completely out of reach. Not because you did anything better but because of a mega rich arab. Where's the competition in that? Its over for us, leeds, newcastle, forest, villa, everton etc. Completely over.
Its much much more boring as a result. You've ruined any sort of competition. Not because if any skill, not because you achieved it. Because of an arab sugar daddy.

1952-1972 = 11 different champions

1972-1992 = 7 different champions^

1992-2012 = 5 different champions, three different ones the last 4 years actually[DOUBLEPOST=1382788183][/DOUBLEPOST]
That's down to the 75% tax.

Or rather, the amended law says that the clubs must pay that tax, not the players themselves.

Perhaps we should welcome a European Super League - it would make the domestic leagues in Europe far more competitive.[DOUBLEPOST=1382788714][/DOUBLEPOST]
1952-1972 = 11 different champions

1972-1992 = 7 different champions^

1992-2012 = 5 different champions, three different ones the last 4 years actually[DOUBLEPOST=1382788183][/DOUBLEPOST]

Or rather, the amended law says that the clubs must pay that tax, not the players themselves.
Problem is, can you see anyone outside manyoo, citeh, arse, Chelsea winning it? Tottenham maybe, particularly when they get the new stadium. Even Liverpool are also rans nowadays. I suppose five or six clubs does not compare unfavourably to other domestic leagues, but these new superdeals that manyoo are getting might blow this apart so we are left with just two or three clubs who can seriously compete.

Last edited:
Hope so!

Just leave us, mags, villa, Everton, Southampton, Norwich etc etc to play in a much more even and competitive English league. Maybe got Celtic and Rangers in to spice it up a bit.

I'm in!
would be nice to think that would be the way it worked,but in all honestly the bigger clubs left would rise to the top and the whole cycle would start over again,and looking at the way we've been funded this season i doubt if we would be in the top six,it's fukn grim i tell you

Wouldn't actually be shocked at this point if the endgame was an actual "European Superleague" for the biggest of the big teams and American-style salary cap leagues everywhere else.

This will happen eventually

The league, of course being by Invitation only.

(So they can get Liverpool in.)

For my sins, this year I have become quite interested in baseball. Largely through a lad at work who's a big fan and gave me his log in so I can watch any game any time on my tablet and phone. I love cricket and can see a lot of similarities between the two sports.

I thought I would check out ticket prices etc and it turns out the normal price is something like $100 for a half decent seat and that most of the top sides sell out every game. Admittedly there are some tickets available at maybe $30 in the cheap seats for some games. That might not seem very surprising until you realise that each team plays 162 games per season, 81 at home and 81 away, and the play offs can be as many as another 19 on top of that. They play 6 games a week and yet the Boston Red Sox sold out every game for something like 10 years running and apparently the New York Yankees have sold out for even longer than that.

That's the way the premier league is going for the successful sides. They will build up such a massive world wide fan base that they can sell tickets to tourists on a Tuesday night at pretty much any price they choose. Its the Japenese equivalent of visiting a Broadway or West end show. If you go to London or New York you see a show in the West end or on Broadway. Now you also see a baseball/gridiron/basketball game or see a premier league game as well.

Sunderland don't have that sort of advantage and sadly never will.
Interesting take that.

Watch the super league on TV. Take in a 100 quid Arsenal game when in Europe and, if you live locally, watch inexpensive Sunderland games in the second tier for the live footy fix.

A very different reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back