Why does Short get so much hate off the fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's largely destroyed the club. Made us a national laughing stock, dragged us through numerous unpleasant scandals, proven he's incapable of a single sound decision, wasted the riches of a decade in the world's richest leagues, handled himself badly in public, appointed idiots, knee jerked his way through 10 years of idiocy, etc etc.

The image he attempts to portray of being a mere fan and genial oaf who throws money around is utterly ludicrous.
Fuck me , harry potter's here. absolute tosh.

Fans are well intentioned, but its a few know nowts that fan the flames and eventually their repetition of blatant lies becomes truth tonthe sheeple.
A wicked few can have a powerful effect when things are going bad.
Truth is short deserves freedom of the city, at least one statue and definitely a stand at the sol named after him for stopping us being swallowed like a frog by a python.
I could understand if it was high falutin finance that was clouding people's views but it is basic arithmetic sadly.
Never mind history will show what a fantastic man he was to our club.

What a load of tosh. He has overseen mistake after mistake after mistake.

People use the excuse that he has put his trust in people who have let him down but ultimately he appointed these people and its up to him to put the right people in place.

1. He appointed Di Fanti as DoF - a decision which is still one of the most contributing factors behind the financial and league position we find ourselves in right now.
2. He appointed Congerton as Sporting Director, a man who couldnt make any impact on the club whatsoever
3. He appointed his best mates son, Ryan Sachs, as Assistant Director of Football. A lad who had no experience of football at all
4. He appointed a massively underqualified Margaret Byrne as our Chief Executive. Someone who had zero interest in football and had never been to a match before her involvement with SAFC. She overseen and massively (and horrendously) mishandled one of the most damaging moments in the recent history of our football club.
5. He appointed Gary Hutchison to position of director of our football club. Gary Hutchison - a man who everyone that has ever worked with him knows he is a pure charlatan.... passes other peoples work and ideas off as his own, claimed full praise for bringing the gigs to the SoL when in fact it was all down to to the contacts and work of others, a man who used the club as his own cash cow (I know things I cannot post on here).

He used his financial resource to cover his plentiful and consistent mistakes, but eventually they caught up with him.
While clubs like Stoke City were turning a profit each season AND finishing above us in the league it proved that pumping money into the club was not needed if the chairman was doing his job properly.

Is Short a bad man? No
Do I hate Ellis Short? No
Has Ellis Short been a successful chairman at SAFC? No
Is it in the best interests of SAFC for Short to remain as our chairman? No

Throwing good money after bad does not make him an SAFC legend. A chairman with less money but more accumen would have been much better for the football club. I only wish a man like Bob Murray had the finances that Ellis Short did. He wasn't perfect but he brought the club a long way with a fraction of the money Short has had to put in.

Who knows - maybe Short will learn from his mistakes and go on to become a great chairman for us.... but there are no signs of this so far.

Football fans all over are fickle as ferk..you never heard a peep about Short when BSA was here..he's in Life of Riley with punters clambering for a photo when we're beating the mags..and as posted earlier he makes money available for managers to spunk away on utter chod on inflated wages and he's public enemy number one again..if we get off to a good start this season you won't here a peep.

The only issues I have with Short is firstly he put way too much trust in the people he left running the club, the likes of De Fanti and Byrne are the ones responsible for the mess we are in in my opinion.

Secondly he doesn't attend anywhere enough home games, fair enough he has his other businesses to run but many other owners seem to do it.

I do think he wants what's best for the club, it's not just greed. The bloke is a billionaire...so what's an extra few million to someone with that much cash? As others have mentioned anyone solely after the money wouldn't have set a deadline for a takeover otherwise.

Just my personal opinions and I know many others will disagree

He extended our run in the top flight to 10 season, the second longest, but most fans don't see that as a success and need someone to blame for not meeting their expectations.

totally disagree , he has pumped millions in before and durig last 4 seasons , the fact that he has been let down by employees ( DOF , CEO , Manager , Players) that isn't because he doesn't have the best interests of the club at heart, I am eternally grateful for 10 yrs or so in the prem' under short , am hoping that this fresh start under grayson will work.
Thing short should also be commended for binning the takeover if it wasn't right for the future of the club.
your easily pleased...

totally disagree , he has pumped millions in before and durig last 4 seasons , the fact that he has been let down by employees ( DOF , CEO , Manager , Players) that isn't because he doesn't have the best interests of the club at heart, I am eternally grateful for 10 yrs or so in the prem' under short , am hoping that this fresh start under grayson will work.
Thing short should also be commended for binning the takeover if it wasn't right for the future of the club.
Eternally grateful? At least half of those years have largely been grim as fuck.

People he appointed. The DoF and CEO positions were given to people that not one other chairman in the entire football league would have appointed.

I've never understood it. He has seemingly pumped 10's/100's of millions into this club and gained little in return. Why the hate?

Same with Ashley up the road. Literally bank-rolled the mags for a decade yet gets vilified by the fans.

What am I missing?
Fans are the most fickle and impatient people you could wish to meet. Short could put every penny he owned into this club, win us the league and a year later would be called worse than shite.

This...the buck stops with him...
Yep and unfortunately it's not just his money he's wasting it's Club debt. After 10 years in the richest league in the world he somehow manages to keep making losses. Don't blame the players or manager, the vast majority have done their job by keeping us up those ten years. The one man he wanted and stuck with was the one who took us down.

Fans are the most fickle and impatient people you could wish to meet. Short could put every penny he owned into this club, win us the league and a year later would be called worse than shite.
No.

There's no dispute that Short has put a lot of his own money in to the Club but the current financial position that the It now finds itself in is a testament to the fact that the money was used badly and invested very unwisely. The current state of the team also speaks for itself - " a club's position in the league does not lie" as they say.

Given the above any reasonable person would have to conclude that Mr Short's tenure here has been marked by utter failure. This does not imply that his is a "bad" man or that he has deliberately worked the Club towards this position but that having bought the club as person who had previously no experience of football he has literally paid the price for his involvement in a business that he knew little about. The inevitable result is that he has lost a lot of his money and put the Club in to a worse position than it was before he started.

What a load of tosh. He has overseen mistake after mistake after mistake.

People use the excuse that he has put his trust in people who have let him down but ultimately he appointed these people and its up to him to put the right people in place.

1. He appointed Di Fanti as DoF - a decision which is still one of the most contributing factors behind the financial and league position we find ourselves in right now.
2. He appointed Congerton as Sporting Director, a man who couldnt make any impact on the club whatsoever
3. He appointed his best mates son, Ryan Sachs, as Assistant Director of Football. A lad who had no experience of football at all
4. He appointed a massively underqualified Margaret Byrne as our Chief Executive. Someone who had zero interest in football and had never been to a match before her involvement with SAFC. She overseen and massively (and horrendously) mishandled one of the most damaging moments in the recent history of our football club.
5. He appointed Gary Hutchison to position of director of our football club. Gary Hutchison - a man who everyone that has ever worked with him knows he is a pure charlatan.... passes other peoples work and ideas off as his own, claimed full praise for bringing the gigs to the SoL when in fact it was all down to to the contacts and work of others, a man who used the club as his own cash cow (I know things I cannot post on here).

He used his financial resource to cover his plentiful and consistent mistakes, but eventually they caught up with him.
While clubs like Stoke City were turning a profit each season AND finishing above us in the league it proved that pumping money into the club was not needed if the chairman was doing his job properly.

Is Short a bad man? No
Do I hate Ellis Short? No
Has Ellis Short been a successful chairman at SAFC? No
Is it in the best interests of SAFC for Short to remain as our chairman? No

Throwing good money after bad does not make him an SAFC legend. A chairman with less money but more accumen would have been much better for the football club. I only wish a man like Bob Murray had the finances that Ellis Short did. He wasn't perfect but he brought the club a long way with a fraction of the money Short has had to put in.

Who knows - maybe Short will learn from his mistakes and go on to become a great chairman for us.... but there are no signs of this so far.
Good post.

He's largely destroyed the club. Made us a national laughing stock, dragged us through numerous unpleasant scandals, proven he's incapable of a single sound decision, wasted the riches of a decade in the world's richest leagues, handled himself badly in public, appointed idiots, knee jerked his way through 10 years of idiocy, etc etc.

The image he attempts to portray of being a mere fan and genial oaf who throws money around is utterly ludicrous.

So what if he kept his money in his pocket and we were languishing in Division 1 or 2 like Blackburn or Coventry? Just because we were in the Premier League 10 years ago gives us no Devine right to stay there forever. Short has thrown too much money but it was in a desperate attempt to keep us there. If he had of done half as bad a job as you think we would not even be one of the biggest teams in the Championship.

Tbf aye, I've never heard nowt at the SoL. It's always on here where I see negativity towards him. The takeover threads were a prime example.
I've seen plenty of vocal criticism for him at the stadium

Is your suggestion that it's limited to on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back