Why does nobody care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree. And you back up my point nicely. Man city's net spend over 10 years is £500m, Newcastle's is around £60m. One of the lowest, if not the lowest of all 'established' Premier clubs. Some say that's being well run. My view is that Ashley is lining his pockets.

I'll be honest mate I'm not really sure how it works at Newcastle, does he take massive dividends or anything? That's the main way I could see him making money from it, in addition to the free advertising of course. I don't really understand the criticism of him tbh, he's got you in the prem and making profit; he will sell up at some point and he's got you in a very attractive position for a new buyer. Of course it'd be nice for you if you spend a lot more but then no fan is ever happy with investment. He seems to have done alright and out you get someone to buy the club who is willing to pump money in you'll actually have a fair bit to thank him for since he's got you in this position where you are quite saleable. I'd swap him for Short in an instance.

Do you count as an established premier league club when this is your first season back up and you could still (albeit unlikely) go straight back down having had a previous relegation only a few seasons back mind? Be another couple of seasons before I'd class you as established personally

I'll be honest mate I'm not really sure how it works at Newcastle, does he take massive dividends or anything? That's the main way I could see him making money from it, in addition to the free advertising of course. I don't really understand the criticism of him tbh, he's got you in the prem and making profit; he will sell up at some point and he's got you in a very attractive position for a new buyer. Of course it'd be nice for you if you spend a lot more but then no fan is ever happy with investment. He seems to have done alright and out you get someone to buy the club who is willing to pump money in you'll actually have a fair bit to thank him for since he's got you in this position where you are quite saleable. I'd swap him for Short in an instance.

Do you count as an established premier league club when this is your first season back up and you could still (albeit unlikely) go straight back down having had a previous relegation only a few seasons back mind? Be another couple of seasons before I'd class you as established personally

Sadly for our Mag friend, Newcastle's accounts suggest he's taking just as much out of Newcastle as Short has from us. Nil. No salary, no dividends, no interest payments. There is value in free advertising, but doesn't have to be, and isn't reflected in their accounts.

Of course not - that's why I used the quotation marks...it was merely to highlight the comparison with other clubs

Sadly for our Mag friend, Newcastle's accounts suggest he's taking just as much out of Newcastle as Short has from us. Nil. No salary, no dividends, no interest payments. There is value in free advertising, but doesn't have to be, and isn't reflected in their accounts.

Agreed on the direct amount he's taking out. The commercial income is woeful for a club that, whatever you think, has a pretty high media profile. Because it's all about Sports Direct. Of course all Clubs want their owner to pump money in...some do some don't but it doesn't mean you can't be disappointed if yours doesn't.

Moreover, he rarely speaks to the camera but when he does it's to promise the earth - last season he promised Rafa 'Everything they earned by getting promotion' No-one was sure what this meant exactly in monetary terms but most people's idea was a lot more than he coughed up.

There's very few popular owners in football but a lot of them do themselves no favours.

Last edited:

Aye, aye Grumps. ;);)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back