Why do you think this messageboard is where it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

As I said if you’ve ever watched Adam Curtis that’s exactly how the Russians used to do their politics. Create bogey men and enemies so you clung on to whoever was the strongest looking. Look at if we had an election now. Tories would win despite being shit.
You’re not wrong, that’s how religion has worked since the garden of Eden

You’re not wrong, that’s how religion has worked since the garden of Eden
Always been the same. Create multiple bogey men and people get confused. This extinction rebellion has people scared. It’s not about the planet it’s about taking power. I’m certain it is perpetuated by people who have an interest in destabilising this country and other governments.

I agree with what was said above about it really echoing the way society is now.

When i joined (on my initial login) we were in a different political landscape, the feeling was of apathy but not of the downright vitriol and bile we have now, the problem is that we as a society have deemed our own opinions as the superior ones, stubbornly refusing to hear any argument that contests our own, we want the feeling of being correct, irrespective of what we ignore, listen to or who we abuse to get that 'victory', we are so entrenched in our own arrogance and argument, so that no amount of logical debate, persuasion, facts or common sense will break down the self imposed, insular barriers we put up through our own arguments and opinions.

Rational debate, discourse and like minded discussion have gone by the wayside to be replaced by a pointless slanging match between parties where nobody cares about the point being discussed, the issues at the center of them or the people affected, rather they care about being the party that is seen as being on the right side of the argument, they just want to be able to say 'i told you so' and win the pissing contest.

As a rule i try to be as balanced as i can in an argument, i've always had this really annoying knack of being able to take a step back and be able to assess a situation impartially, however if im discussing something with others i will rarely argue something i know nothing about, i keep to the limits of my own knowledge and experience, what i've found is i get strangers, particularly online who have no idea of my job role, what i do on a daily basis and have done for nigh on 8 years and my background, basing say an argument what i do everyday on snippets from the mainstream press, spouting figures and projections to me to win an argument i never wanted to be involved with in the first place.

Everybody wants to be an expert, the problem is they extend themselves into arguments on subjects they have little idea on, using sketchy facts to win the day, i think the term 'the emptiest vessels make the most noise' is apt, espousing 'expertise' gleaned from newspapers, online articles and word of mouth from a friend of a friend who knew for definite, over actual facts and the opinions of those who have experience in that area.

Newspapers and TV Shows push agendas and campaigns to stop online abuse, take ITV for example, currently on a campaign to stop bullying and abuse on the internet but employ Piers Morgan who undermines their entire argument by letting him mock an Autistic 16 years old on Live TV, we as a society are only as good as the influences around us, when you have those with social media accounts with millions of followers encouraging mocking and directing abuse to people online, those followers will deem it acceptable to do themselves.

It's particularly prevalent online, as it's mostly faceless , my dad won't use social media much though he has accounts for them to keep in touch with family abroad, his argument was that it
gives a voice to the kind of people who would have had their heads kicked in if they said what they did online in public

He's right really, the anonymity allows people to feel they can do what they like unopposed without repercussions, i'm not going to go down a rabbit hole of what i think on the internet as a whole but it will always reflect what is going on around it, the rise of the more radical political opinion, the inability to differentiate between facts and bollocks and the general shit nature of society in general will fuel online abuse, dogpiling and insular single minded argument as acceptable, the more this happens, the more the voices of reason will struggle to be heard, it's a mob mentality in a nutshell, to shout people down using social media influence and in the case of those capable allow our followers to do it for us.

Last edited:
I agree with what was said above about it really echoing the way society is now.

When i joined (on my initial login) we were in a different political landscape, the feeling was of apathy but not of the downright vitriol and bile we have now, the problem is that we as a society have deemed our own opinions as the superior ones, stubbornly refusing to hear any argument that contests our own, we want the feeling of being correct, irrespective of what we ignore, listen to or who we abuse to get that 'victory', we are so entrenched in our own arrogance and argument, so that no amount of logical debate, persuasion, facts or common sense will break down the self imposed, insular barriers we put up through our own arguments and opinions.

Rational debate, discourse and like minded discussion have gone by the wayside to be replaced by a pointless slanging match between parties where nobody cares about the point being discussed, the issues at the center of them or the people affected, rather they care about being the party that is seen as being on the right side of the argument, they just want to be able to say 'i told you so' and win the pissing contest.

As a rule i try to be as balanced as i can in an argument, i've always had this really annoying knack of being able to take a step back and be able to assess a situation impartially, however if im discussing something with others i will rarely argue something i know nothing about, i keep to the limits of my own knowledge and experience, what i've found is i get strangers, particularly online who have no idea of my job role, what i do on a daily basis and have done for nigh on 8 years and my background, basing say an argument what i do everyday on snippets from the mainstream press, spouting figures and projections to me to win an argument i never wanted to be involved with in the first place.

Everybody wants to be an expert, the problem is they extend themselves into arguments on subjects they have little idea on, using sketchy facts to win the day, i think the term 'the emptiest vessels make the most noise' is apt, espousing 'expertise' gleaned from newspapers, online articles and word of mouth from a friend of a friend who knew for definite, over actual facts and the opinions of those who have experience in that area.

Newspapers and TV Shows push agendas and campaigns to stop online abuse, take ITV for example, currently on a campaign to stop bullying and abuse on the internet but employ Piers Morgan who undermines their entire argument by letting him mock an Autistic 16 years old on Live TV, we as a society are only as good as the influences around us, when you have those with social media accounts with millions of followers encouraging mocking and directing abuse to people online, those followers will deem it acceptable to do themselves.

It's particularly prevalent online, as it's mostly faceless , my dad won't use social media much though he has accounts for them to keep in touch with family abroad, his argument was that it

He's right really, the anonymity allows people to feel they can do what they like unopposed without repercussions, i'm not going to go down a rabbit hole of what i think on the internet as a whole but it will always reflect what is going on around it, the rise of the more radical political opinion, the inability to differentiate between facts and bollocks and the general shit nature of society in general will fuel online abuse, dogpiling and insular single minded argument as acceptable, the more this happens, the more the voices of reason will struggle to be heard, it's a mob mentality in a nutshell, to shout people down using social media influence and in the case of those capable allow our followers to do it for us.
Some brilliant points made in there. Good post mate and I agree entirely.

I think one thing that doesn’t help is the mods putting even the slightest controversial or “interesting” thread in parsnip. I understand that there’s probably guidelines set out my advertisement terms, but the point still stands.

I think one thing that doesn’t help is the mods putting even the slightest controversial or “interesting” thread in parsnip. I understand that there’s probably guidelines set out my advertisement terms, but the point still stands.
Yeah there’s some odd moves in that respect.

Isn’t as funny as it used to be
It still has its moments.

Let's face it we get the same thread every 6 months or so with the same bleats about how it's not as good as it used to be. It is what we make of it. If you think the threads are crap, come up with some interesting ones, or add some pertinent comments to those others have started. If you think there's too much anger, try adding a calming, dispassionate thoughtful contribution. If someone is being an absolute knob, report them if it's that bad, or just ignore them, it's quite easy to just skip past shit content even without blocking individual posters. If you're pissed off with Brexit / Takeover / New Manager / Politics threads the title is usually a bit of a giveaway, just don't click on them for a week or two. I stopped reading the takeover threads weeks go when it was fairly obvious nowt much was likely to happen and when it did, I could dip back in again. Similar to the transfer threads in the summer and January windows.

If you want a sense of perspective, have a quick gander at @coxhoedave or @foggy threads and marvel at how these two young lads have managed to take on some god awful situations with strength and dignity. If you feel a clique is building in a thread and it gets you riled, close the thread. It's really all in your own control.

I like the board, warts and all.

Let's face it we get the same thread every 6 months or so with the same bleats about how it's not as good as it used to be. It is what we make of it. If you think the threads are crap, come up with some interesting ones, or add some pertinent comments to those others have started. If you think there's too much anger, try adding a calming, dispassionate thoughtful contribution. If someone is being an absolute knob, report them if it's that bad, or just ignore them, it's quite easy to just skip past shit content even without blocking individual posters. If you're pissed off with Brexit / Takeover / New Manager / Politics threads the title is usually a bit of a giveaway, just don't click on them for a week or two. I stopped reading the takeover threads weeks go when it was fairly obvious nowt much was likely to happen and when it did, I could dip back in again. Similar to the transfer threads in the summer and January windows.

If you want a sense of perspective, have a quick gander at @coxhoedave or @foggy threads and marvel at how these two young lads have managed to take on some god awful situations with strength and dignity. If you feel a clique is building in a thread and it gets you riled, close the thread. It's really all in your own control.

I’m not saying it’s not as good as it used to be I was asking why people are so angry. I’m interested in the way people seem more angry and polarised in general.

Brilliantly put Flicky. 👍

Not sure what year I joined the board. I know it was before 9/11.

It has changed quite a lot since those early days, some things good, some things bad.

Its still very special, and needs nurturing not destroyed.

Not sure what year I joined the board. I know it was before 9/11.

It has changed quite a lot since those early days, some things good, some things bad.

Its still very special, and needs nurturing not destroyed.
Joined Aug 14, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back