Why do I love the German national anthem so much?

Composed by Josef Haydn, an Austrian who worked mainly in the court of Count Esterhazy, and the most famous Austrian Baroque composer after Mozart. He knew how to put a good tune together. The Germans just pinched the tune later - it was originally just known as the Austrian Hymn.

Still not a patch on the Marseillaise or Fratelli d'Italia mind.
The italian Anthem sounds like a circus tune

Yup. The Red Army won WWII, but that doesn't fit the jingoistic bollocks.
Meanwhile the IRA were helping the Nazis. ..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Republican_Army–Abwehr_collaboration

Collaboration between the IRA and Abwehr during World War II ranged in intensity between 1937–1943 and ended permanently around 1944, when defeat of the Axis forces was seen as probable.[citation needed]

Last edited:
Meanwhile the IRA were helping the Nazis. ..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Republican_Army–Abwehr_collaboration

Collaboration between the IRA and Abwehr during World War II ranged in intensity between 1937–1943 and ended permanently around 1944, when defeat of the Axis forces was seen as probable.[citation needed]
meanwhile a great many Irish men signed up to the British Army despite the atrocities of the British Govt against the Irish

Bugger, I was always taught that we won WW2 on our own (politely fighting with one arm tied behind our back).
just did a back of a fag packet calculation and it looks like in proportion to population only .62% more British men signed up to the British Army in WW2 than Irish men which is rather exceptional given the circumstances
Basically, it's opera.
it isn't, I like opera

Last edited:
just did a back of a fag packet calculation and it looks like in proportion to population only .62% more British men signed up to the British Army in WW2 than Irish men which is rather exceptional given the circumstances

it isn't, I like opera
Wouldn’t most British soldiers be conscripted in WW2?

The Irish would have been volunteers.

yes exactly and that is going by conscription numbers in the UK and volunteers from Ireland

The National Service (Armed Forces) Act imposed conscription on all males aged between 18 and 41 who had to register for service. Those medically unfit were exempted, as were others in key industries and jobs such as baking, farming, medicine, and engineering.

Back