Why do I love the German national anthem so much?

The National Service (Armed Forces) Act imposed conscription on all males aged between 18 and 41 who had to register for service. Those medically unfit were exempted, as were others in key industries and jobs such as baking, farming, medicine, and engineering.
sorry I suppose it wasn't clear the number I used was British men in the UK who signed up whether via conscription or volition

The National Service (Armed Forces) Act imposed conscription on all males aged between 18 and 41 who had to register for service. Those medically unfit were exempted, as were others in key industries and jobs such as baking, farming, medicine, and engineering.
When German paras landed in Ireland they were put in jail, Americans were let go to England to rejoin the war.

Dublin was bombed a few times in the war and suffered casualties. The official line was that it was accidental but there's a theory that it was in response to Irish services helping in raids on Belfast.
(Just continuing the ot discussion)

Yeah
Dublin was bombed a few times in the war and suffered casualties. The official line was that it was accidental but there's a theory that it was in response to Irish services helping in raids on Belfast.
(Just continuing the ot discussion)
Yeah I'd tend to believe it was accidental but it's open to debate.

Going to get pelters for this but I love the Scottish national anthem 😂, Spanish is canny as well.

I don't like Flower of Scotland - it's a bit of a dirge - Highland Cathedral would be much better National Anthem. England should use Jerusalem and keep God Save The Queen for UK occasions (not that I like it that much either). Italy, France, Germany, Russia, USA are all better.

Composed by Josef Haydn, an Austrian who worked mainly in the court of Count Esterhazy, and the most famous Austrian Baroque composer after Mozart. He knew how to put a good tune together. The Germans just pinched the tune later - it was originally just known as the Austrian Hymn.

Still not a patch on the Marseillaise or Fratelli d'Italia mind.
I like the Russian anthem
If uncle joe had played his cards right we might of been whistling that soon after ww2

I don't like Flower of Scotland - it's a bit of a dirge - Highland Cathedral would be much better National Anthem. England should use Jerusalem and keep God Save The Queen for UK occasions (not that I like it that much either). Italy, France, Germany, Russia, USA are all better.

From a singer's perspective, The Star-Spangled Banner is a nightmare, with a range of just less than 2 octaves (middle C to top G if sung in C major). That's not easy for trained singers, and beyond most "laymen" (for want of a better word)

Back