Why are France hated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye, I couldn't really say much. It didn't help that he was trying to explain what happened to a Singaporean bloke and struggling to find the English to do it. He ended up asking me to tell the story and I had to get the balance between "Churchill was forced into ....." and " the british bstards murdered their own allies..."

:oops:
bit of a crap situation to be in.

you would never win the discussion with the Frenchman as its family, so not worth trying.

bit of a crap situation to be in.

you would never win the discussion with the Frenchman as its family, so not worth trying.
It wasn't a win/lose situation really.
I just had to stick to the bare facts without bringing opinion into it.

(whilst baring in mind we were sitting in a german bar) ;):lol:

they ran
I think France and the French are great. Its a beautiful country that has give the world so much. I love how multi cultured it is which is evident in their world cup win. Good luck to them. Britain and France are probably both equally hated / loved as were two huge historic countries with very colurful histories. Good luck to them.
I like France, both they and us have more than a little arrogance about us than we'd probably like to admit but we see it in each other.

I think as far as colonial powers go they're hated more than us. We learned from losing the Americas and allowed a little autonomy in our imperialism but with the French in the middle east and asia it wasn't really much less than a cultural takeover.

We also got a bit lucky with those we murdered...we managed to decimate the Punjab population twice but fuck me, Sikhs are as loyal Britons as you can get.

Aye, I couldn't really say much. It didn't help that he was trying to explain what happened to a Singaporean bloke and struggling to find the English to do it. He ended up asking me to tell the story and I had to get the balance between "Churchill was forced into ....." and " the british bstards murdered their own allies..."

:oops:
From what I understand there was a risk that Germany would get their hands on the French fleet.

Of course it wasn’t nice but neither was the Vichy regime.

From what I understand there was a risk that Germany would get their hands on the French fleet.

Of course it wasn’t nice but neither was the Vichy regime.
That was it of course. Churchill sent an ultimatum. Sail with us to Portsmouth and fight alongside us/ give us your ships or we attack. Fck knows why they didn't join us.

In the french navy's defence, the rest of the fleet at Marseille ( I think) didn't ever come into German hands.

Allies had to fight against Vichy troops in Syria in '41 so sinking the fleet was essential I reckon

I like France - lived there for 5 years (and visit 6-7 times each year still) - just arrived there at the moment actually - hope the WC win has cheered the miserable beggars up a bit

Just been to the local shop but the guy there is always happy (and polite.)..... he is from the maghreb mind

When I worked in Czech they said they weren't keen on the French at all. No problem with the French myself. French women, oh my...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back