Who was a regular match attender in the third division

Status
Not open for further replies.

I will have went to all the home games but Remember little except we were less shit as i ten at the time.

Me,mostly away games as I lived in Banbury at the time.The difference is you could see that team wasn't too bad,just needed a couple of astute signings and we would be ok but this shower.

Strange how relegation in 87 seemed like the end of the world at the time but loads of people (including me) now remember that season in Div 3 as one of their favourites.

I remember going to a depressing pre-season game at Darlo and looking round grimly thinking we are going to have to get used to coming to places like this. Even when the season started it wasn't going great until Marco's arrival. That day at Blackpool was certainly the day I realised that I might actually enjoy this season after all (loads there, fourth win in a row etc) and some of the away days in the second half of the season were great.

What was noticeable was how the amount of police at the away games seemed to increase as the season progressed. Seemed like there were only about a dozen on duty at Brentford first day but by the time we went to Southend, Port Vale etc there were loads of them. Presumably the headlines the pitch invasions at Blackpool and then York got had something to do with that - although it also seemed like all the local hooligans and nutters made a big effort for the visit of mighty Sunderland that season. Boro had also been in the third division the previous season and had an active hooligan element who made the most of that season - so the locals probably assumed it would be more of the same and got themselves prepared for our visit.

I witnessed or heard about incidents inside and/or outside at loads of games including Brentford, Boro, Blackpool, Chesterfield, Scunthorpe, Preston, York, Mansfield, Rotherham etc. It was far and away the ‘busiest’ season in terms of incidents at away games that we’d had since at least 80-81.

Another recurring theme of away games that season was how suspiciously low some of the official attendances at away games seemed to be to my eyes. You would look around and estimate we had 2/3/4k of our fans there and then at the end they would announce an attendance of only 5/6/7k for the whole ground. Some people might conclude that some of those third division grounds may have been suffering from ‘faulty turnstiles’ (you know the type that somehow don’t count everyone who goes through them) but of course I wouldn’t suggest anything like that...

Last edited:
Me too I was 15, went to about 8 away games also
Saw loads of goals, was there a 7-0 and a 7-1 I seem to recall. Eric Gates piling in with a load of goals and assists for Marco
Brilliant season, got lucky with Marco. I suppose you can compare Reidy getting lucky with Phillips exactly the same
That’s what’s needed again a lucky break with a striker who will score 20-30 goals
I remember only hearing that we'd signed Gabbiadini when I saw he had scored on his (home?) debut. A simpler time prior to internet and social media

loved reading this, too young for me.

Next season could be class if we can just get a decent team and manager together

Just want to win some games and enjoy the match

I remember only hearing that we'd signed Gabbiadini when I saw he had scored on his (home?) debut. A simpler time prior to internet and social media

Class. I hate hate all the transfer rumour stuff, not interested.

I used to check ceefax once a day for news that was it

Me,mostly away games as I lived in Banbury at the time.The difference is you could see that team wasn't too bad,just needed a couple of astute signings and we would be ok but this shower.

Exactly what my fatha says to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back