Whisky

Apparently Arran are after planting apple trees around Lagg with the purpose of churning out apple brandy which in time they'll finish their whisky with... At least that's what my tour guide told me

I’ve never had a apple brandy or calvados cask whisky that I’d consider successful. Bought it more for nostalgia really as my wifes parents are from the Hirosaki area of Japan where the best orchards are and where Nikka make their apple brandy. Nice area to visit too as there aren’t many tourists.

I was in Lochgilphead myself last week mate, passed through Inverary a couple of times on my travels. Almost made the journey over to the Green Welly but ended off just having a ride around Loch Awe and Oban instead. The Co-op in Lochgilphead has a good selection of whisky, occasionally have decent offers on it too.
Small world. I went up to Oban via Loch Awe on Tuesday. Distillery was shut, the Whisky Shop on the main street had staff in cleaning and getting it ready to open the next day.

Small world. I went up to Oban via Loch Awe on Tuesday. Distillery was shut, the Whisky Shop on the main street had staff in cleaning and getting it ready to open the next day.
That's a sickener when you have made the effort to go there. I realise that it will be rather 'vanilla' for many on here but I have been surprised by the enjoyability of Glenmorangie 10.

Bought a bottle of Daftmill 2007 winter release this week, I entered the ballot in march without luck then got an email from berry bros last week saying a couple of bottles were still available has anyone tried it or any Daftmill ? not had the chance myself yet

Last edited:
That's a sickener when you have made the effort to go there. I realise that it will be rather 'vanilla' for many on here but I have been surprised by the enjoyability of Glenmorangie 10.
There's a nice Pioneer pack I think it's called from them 4x10cl bottles of the 10, 12 Lasanta, 12 Quinta Ruban and 12 Nectar D'Or. You can pick it up for about pennies over £30 if I remember.

Bought a bottle of Daftmill 2007 winter release this week, I entered the ballot in march without luck then got an email from berry bros last week saying a couple of bottles were still available has any tried it or any Daftmill ? not had the chance myself yet

It’s excellent, typically lowland. Lots of hay, vanill and herbs. Great place to visit too, basically a farmers shed That the owner, Francis, set up for a hobby

Bought a bottle of Daftmill 2007 winter release this week, I entered the ballot in march without luck then got an email from berry bros last week saying a couple of bottles were still available has any tried it or any Daftmill ? not had the chance myself yet
Lucky swine, I was in ballots but got bugger all, even the samples disappeared. I know they put some bottles in a few whisky bars to allow you to get a nip for about a tenner. Haven't ever seen one though.

Just finishing the night with the Foursquare rum from MOM we discussed a few weeks ago. Tagged a sample onto one of my orders. Certainly different, can’t quite make up my mind if I like it or not :lol: Probably an acquired taste not helped by the fact that I’ve been on the peated Islays earlier. Never drank rum for over 40 years but will definitely give it another go.

For you next challenge recommend me a bourbon to try (less than £100 please none of your pappy van winkle prices):lol:
Which Foursquare did you do mate , the cask ?

If you're still in the area mate, get yourself down Tarbet. Canny little whisky shop opened up on the main drag called Whisky West Coast Good selection on the shelves

I'm back down the road but I'll be up there again in a couple of weeks. I'll suggest a wee road trip to Tarbet and act all surprised when I get there.

I'm killing off a bottle of Fettercairn 12 tonight. I wouldn't buy it again or recommend it. Wattery piss bottled at 40%, inoffensive but wasn't cheap for what you get.

Spotted a bottle of 2007 £55.
Might give it a shot
You might like this . I've had the 12 and the 15 which is cracking . This is too rich for my blood but you say you don't mind pushing £100.
Spotted a bottle of 2007 £55.
Might give it a shot

You might like this . I've had the 12 and the 15 which is cracking . This is too rich for my blood but you say you don't mind pushing £100.
Sorry
@FC United of Manchester

Last edited:

Back