Whisky

Cracked open the 13yo Glen Elgin I bought from SMWS this month entitled ‘Baked bananas and burnt bacon’ and initial impressions are that it’s a bottle full of mediocrity. Lots of vanilla sweetness and not much else. Hopefully improves with air but colour me sceptical.
On a positive note, did a tasting with Whitepeak distillery yesterday evening and was very impressed. Seriously impressive new make, lightly peated (6-8 ppm) mostly casked in bourbon and STR, with a couple of port. One to monitor.

Last edited:

Cracked open the 13yo Glen Elgin I bought from SMWS this month entitled ‘Baked bananas and burnt bacon’ and initial impressions are that it’s a bottle full of mediocrity. Lots of vanilla sweetness and not much else. Hopefully improves with air but colour me sceptical.
On a positive note, did a tasting with Whitepeak distillery yesterday evening and was very impressed. Seriously impressive new make, lightly peated (6-8 ppm) mostly casked in bourbon and STR, with a couple of port. One to monitor.
Think SMWS have reached the stage where everything they bottle sells out quickly without much effort on their part. Not sure I’ll even renew next year. It’s been on a gradual decline IMO since they sold out to Glenmorangie. Was much better when Pip Hills was running it I think. Seems to be less about quality and more about profit since he departed.

I love a lightly peated malt, Benromach are the masters of it IMO and they do 4ppm. Arran Machrie Moor (which I really like)is 20 IIRC, 6-8 sounds like something I'd definitely enjoy

Think SMWS have reached the stage where everything they bottle sells out quickly without much effort on their part. Not sure I’ll even renew next year. It’s been on a gradual decline IMO since they sold out to Glenmorangie. Was much better when Pip Hills was running it I think. Seems to be less about quality and more about profit since he departed.

I’ve remained a member largely due to the single cask Bushmills and the occasional Springbank. The quality of their outturns has definitely declined and there are way too many whiskies in the 8-11 range at the expense of anything older. Until covid I was also in London quite a bit so used their Grenville St bar, which is unlikely to be the case going forward. My membership is due for renewal at the end of next month - I won’t renew.
I love a lightly peated malt, Benromach are the masters of it IMO and they do 4ppm. Arran Machrie Moor (which I really like)is 20 IIRC, 6-8 sounds like something I'd definitely enjoy

I can’t recall a new make I’ve liked more than Whitepeaks, not that I’m particularly a fan of new make in general. Liked it so much that we’re looking at purchasing a cask.
Doing a mezcal tasting tonight. I’ve really been getting into mezcal over th past year or so. If you like smoky whiskies it’s worth giving it a try if you haven’t previously.

Last edited:
I’ve remained a member largely due to the single cask Bushmills and the occasional Springbank. The quality of their outturns has definitely declined and there are way too many whiskies in the 8-11 range at the expense of anything older. Until covid I was also in London quite a bit so used their Grenville St bar, which is unlikely to be the case going forward. My membership is due for renewal at the end of next month - I won’t renew.

I can’t recall a new make I’ve liked more than Whitepeaks, not that I’m particularly a fan of new make in general. Liked it so much that we’re looking at purchasing a cask.
Doing a mezcal tasting tonight. I’ve really been getting into mezcal over th past year or so. If you like smoky whiskies it’s worth giving it a try if you haven’t previously.
Have been looking to try mezcal seems to becoming popular, best new make I've tried was Cotswolds really packed with flavour it was easy to see how their young whisky is good

Have been looking to try mezcal seems to becoming popular, best new make I've tried was Cotswolds really packed with flavour it was easy to see how their young whisky is good

I preferred Cotswolds to The Lakes and Spirit of Yorkshire, I’ve preferred Whitepeaks and Cooper King to it though.

If there are any Mexican or texmex restaurants around you, you may be able to try some there. Alternatively, I’d be happy to send some samples if you wish.

I preferred Cotswolds to The Lakes and Spirit of Yorkshire, I’ve preferred Whitepeaks and Cooper King to it though.

If there are any Mexican or texmex restaurants around you, you may be able to try some there. Alternatively, I’d be happy to send some samples if you wish.
That's very kind if I don't get around to trying some I might take you up on your offer cheers 👍

Cheers. Saw that but with the bottle being different it wasn't the same. This is lovely mind, very impressed
I'd heard it was but when that version was knocking about I wasn't as heavily into whisky. Must admit I've been tempted by it at auction recently but have always ended up sticking with what I went looking for

Back