Whisky

Spotted a bottle of 2007 £55.
Might give it a shot

You might like this . I've had the 12 and the 15 which is cracking . This is too rich for my blood but you say you don't mind pushing £100.

Sorry
@FC United of Manchester
just finished a bottle of the 15 year old el dorado

Yer it was canny. Think havana club maestros is my favourite in that price bracket though.
Not tried that will look it up, don't mind Havana generally if I'm drinking cheap in a boozer . Got a bottle of eldorado 12, a zacapa 23 and a diolomatico open for sipping and a Woods navy for mixing .

Not tried that will look it up, don't mind Havana generally if I'm drinking cheap in a boozer . Got a bottle of eldorado 12, a zacapa 23 and a diolomatico open for sipping and a Woods navy for mixing .
I love the Zacapa 23, I’ve just treat myself to a bottle of zacapa limitada 2019, haven’t opened it yet though

I love the Zacapa 23, I’ve just treat myself to a bottle of zacapa limitada 2019, haven’t opened it yet though
Sounds a treat . 46 % is a bonus , the only thing that reduces the the solera 23 ( for my taste) is the 40% , it's so smooth it sometimes feels under power . Been getting spoiled by over proof Irish I think .

Been looking back through this thread and it's the first time I've seen this. All I can say is, wow....! Awesome collection mate (and rather nice shelves too)

Heh, cheers. There are about another 650 bottles in my storage room. I really need to stop buying, a message my missus frequently reinforces whenever a new one arrives. It’s just as well the handles on our frying pans are sturdy.

Heh, cheers. There are about another 650 bottles in my storage room. I really need to stop buying, a message my missus frequently reinforces whenever a new one arrives. It’s just as well the handles on our frying pans are sturdy.

Do you have your collection insured ?
Guessing normal house contents limits are well and truly blown 😁

:lol: :lol: Mind I must admit, over the last few months I've gone a bit daft with it, will just about have bought as much in that time as I have in my lifetime prior to it :eek: I'm blaming the lock down

One thing's for certain though, at the rate I drink it (bottle a fortnight tops usually unless in winter, quite a bit less than that through summer months though) I've got enough to keep me going for at least a year or two.

But as you say, kicking the habit of buying it into touch isn't easy, you always seem to stumble across something else you'd like to try....

:lol: :lol: Mind I must admit, over the last few months I've gone a bit daft with it, will just about have bought as much in that time as I have in my lifetime prior to it :eek: I'm blaming the lock down

One thing's for certain though, at the rate I drink it (bottle a fortnight tops usually unless in winter, quite a bit less than that through summer months though) I've got enough to keep me going for at least a year or two.

But as you say, kicking the habit of buying it into touch isn't easy, you always seem to stumble across something else you'd like to try....
It certainly gets a hold !
Something I need to get around to doing is separate insurance anyone got any on their bottles?

Last edited:

I used to but to be honest it got too expensive. I’ve also now sold about 80% of the Japanese whiskies I had (which put a big dent in the overall value) as I couldn’t justify opening them once they were going for over £2k per bottle at auction. That said, a lot were second bottles so I still have about 40 Japanese whiskies open and a few more in storage.

Interestingly whiskybase has a feature that guesstimates the value of your collection and it’s even after those sales it’s still mind bogglingly silly, albeit that total is only true if no bottles were opened.

The more you buy the more you find yourself browsing other bottles and therefore accumulating.

It certainly gets a hold !

Something I need to get around to doing is separate insurance anyone got any on their bottles?

not got enough bottles and certainly not pricy ones ( I’ve not even insured all of our fancy carbon bikes, I’m a bit lax on stuff like that)

having such a malt collection is a nice problem to have mind :lol:
I used to but to be honest it got too expensive. I’ve also now sold about 80% of the Japanese whiskies I had (which put a big dent in the overall value) as I couldn’t justify opening them once they were going for over £2k per bottle at auction. That said, a lot were second bottles so I still have about 40 Japanese whiskies open and a few more in storage.

Interestingly whiskybase has a feature that guesstimates the value of your collection and it’s even after those sales it’s still mind bogglingly silly, albeit that total is only true if no bottles were opened.

The more you buy the more you find yourself browsing other bottles and therefore accumulating.

never tried a Japanese whisky..given my shopping point that boat has probably sailed ( people suggest the prices have risen astronomically )
Is that a fair comment

Last edited:
not got enough bottles and certainly not pricy ones ( I’ve not even insured all of our fancy carbon bikes, I’m a bit lax on stuff like that)

having such a malt collection is a nice problem to have mind :lol:

never tried a Japanese whisky..given my shopping point that boat has probably sailed ( people suggest the prices have risen astronomically )
Is that a fair comment

The ones to look at these days are Komagatake as they’re of a good standard. Akkeshi have also slowly started releasing stuff - I’ve only tried a 2yo spirit from them and was very impressed. If you can get Chichibu On the Way or Peated on day of release they’re better priced than most but are swiftly snapped up.

The decent Yamazaki, Hakushu, Yoichi, Miyagikyo are cost prohibitive. Yamazaki 18 was circa £80 on release and I filled my boots. Now it’s going for £600 per bottle and while it’s a lovely whisky, it’s not worth half that.

Last edited:

Back