Whisky

Aye yours is the cask strength version, only place you can get that now is on auction I reckon (at double the retail cost)
Just finishing the night with the Foursquare rum from MOM we discussed a few weeks ago. Tagged a sample onto one of my orders. Certainly different, can’t quite make up my mind if I like it or not :lol: Probably an acquired taste not helped by the fact that I’ve been on the peated Islays earlier. Never drank rum for over 40 years but will definitely give it another go.

For you next challenge recommend me a bourbon to try (less than £100 please none of your pappy van winkle prices):lol:

Just finishing the night with the Foursquare rum from MOM we discussed a few weeks ago. Tagged a sample onto one of my orders. Certainly different, can’t quite make up my mind if I like it or not :lol: Probably an acquired taste not helped by the fact that I’ve been on the peated Islays earlier. Never drank rum for over 40 years but will definitely give it another go.

For you next challenge recommend me a bourbon to try (less than £100 please none of your pappy van winkle prices):lol:
There's loads to choose from at that price range, only problem is quite few of them tend to sell for more than that as they're only ever available secondary at present.

I was very kindly sent a sample of this little beauty by @shakerman and loved it, so much so I've gone on to buy a couple in their range.

It's a single barrel offering so you could well find things in there that I or anyone else hasn't yet, the thing that won me over was the fact that on a night where I drank a few different bourbons at the end of the night I could still taste this one and it was the first I had that day.

MoM have their tasting profile spot on when they describe cherry and mince pie filling... not something you always find in bourbon but a very welcome addition for me.

Is there more than one release of this?
The one I have is 50.7% whereas this is 46% and different label!

You’ll have the Committee release which you usually buy from Ardbeg directly. The committee releases almost always have a white/cream label and are bottled at cask strength. The general releases usually have a black label and bottled at 46%.
Cracked that open last night. Nice dram.

Any good? Not opened ours yet.
I'm staring at a bottle of Highland Park 12 year old Viking Honour - anyone tried it?

I sincerely believe it’s best to avoid OB HP in favour of IB these days.

Last edited:
You’ll have the Committee release which you usually buy from Ardbeg directly. The committee releases almost always have a white/cream label and are bottled at cask strength. The general releases usually have a black label and bottled at 46%.
Ah right. Mine was a present from one of my daughters but I doubt she would have bought directly from Ardbeg. She usualy buys from Whisky Exchange or Royal Mile.

Edit: Looks like Royal Mile had it in stock at some point
Royal Mile

Last edited:
Last time I use the Grand Whisky Auction. Won a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 @ £60 however their fee's took the price to over £90! Insurance is a minimum of £14 apparently which is a massive f***ing rip off as everywhere else it's 3% + VAT, and to top it off it's not mentioned it on their how to buy page (although 3% + VAT is the f***ing dodge pots) They cancelled my order when I got on to them via live chat but ffs, what a bunch of bells

Last time I use the Grand Whisky Auction. Won a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 @ £60 however their fee's took the price to over £90! Insurance is a minimum of £14 apparently which is a massive f***ing rip off as everywhere else it's 3% + VAT, and to top it off it's not mentioned it on their how to buy page (although 3% + VAT is the f***ing dodge pots) They cancelled my order when I got on to them via live chat but ffs, what a bunch of bells

Whisky Online Auctions have the same sky high extra costs.

Managed to organise a 200l STR cask with Whitepeak Distillery yesterday. As an example of overall costs, this is what I worked out on the back of a fag packet so to speak. This is if we bottle after 5 years and assume a 25l loss / angels share. Initial cask cost is £3750 and unusually, Whitepeak cask the whisky at 70% abv.

175l at 0.7l per bottle is 250 bottles, and at 65% is 113.75l of alcohol. Current duty is £28.74/l (this will undoubtedly go up as we get shafted to pay for Covid) - or £3269.18

Bottling at £2/bottle + £100 labour = £600.

3750+3269.18+600 = 7619.18, which + VAT (yes, it's due on everything) is £9143

£9143 / 250 bottles = £36.57 per

We’ve decided to split the cask down into 75 shares, each share being at least 3 bottles. Initial cost is £50 pershare then another £60 when bottled.

We’ve sold the shares amongst about 40 people.

Also bought a couple of shares in a Bimber cask to be bottled just before Christmas.

Last edited:
Whisky Online Auctions have the same sky high extra costs.

Managed to organise a 200l STR cask with Whitepeak Distillery yesterday. As an example of overall costs, this is what I worked out on the back of a fag packet so to speak. This is if we bottle after 5 years and assume a 25l loss / angels share. Initial cask cost is £3750 and unusually, Whitepeak cask the whisky at 70% abv.

175l at 0.7l per bottle is 250 bottles, and at 65% is 113.75l of alcohol. Current duty is £28.74/l (this will undoubtedly go up as we get shafted to pay for Covid) - or £3269.18

Bottling at £2/bottle + £100 labour = £600.

3750+3269.18+600 = 7619.18, which + VAT (yes, it's due on everything) is £9143

£9143 / 250 bottles = £36.57 per

We’ve decided to split the cask down into 75 shares, each share being at least 3 bottles. Initial cost is £50 pershare then another £60 when bottled.

We’ve sold the shares amongst about 40 people.

Also bought a couple of shares in a Bimber cask to be bottled just before Christmas.

lucky sod 👍

Had some Lagavulin to try.
Jesus it's like sipping on 1000 cigars
Felt like I'd been sat next to a fire pit all night.
Are there any that don't burn your oesophagus and taste like smoke

Anything unpeated. Most distilleries don’t use peat and aren’t typically smoky. Whiskies from Speyside, Lowlands and Highlands are mostly unpeated.

Had some Lagavulin to try.
Jesus it's like sipping on 1000 cigars
Felt like I'd been sat next to a fire pit all night.
Are there any that don't burn your oesophagus and taste like smoke
Back when I wasn't a fan of peat the only one I liked was Lagavulin, didn't have it often like just an occasional tipple. I enjoy the majority of peated stuff now (that I've tried)

Back when I wasn't a fan of peat the only one I liked was Lagavulin, didn't have it often like just an occasional tipple. I enjoy the majority of peated stuff now (that I've tried)

yeah I find the Lagavulin a bit “rounder” than the entry level Laphraoig and Ardbeg’s ....that’s why I tried my mate who is really new to whisky on that.

Still too soon for him ;)
Any Loch Fyne discount codes kicking about ?
They did have a welcome 10 code that seems to have expired

Last edited:
Ardbeg Wee Beatie £36.63 on Amazon if anyone is a fan.
Wee Beastie
That was quick, sold out
yeah I find the Lagavulin a bit “rounder” than the entry level Laphraoig and Ardbeg’s ....that’s why I tried my mate who is really new to whisky on that.

Still too soon for him ;)
Any Loch Fyne discount codes kicking about ?
They did have a welcome 10 code that seems to have expired
Just back home from visiting the in-laws, was in the shop yesterday. Discount code was only valid to end of June unfortunately.

I took a run up to Tyndrum and came away with a Kilkerran 12 and this bad boy too:

I picked up a 10yo Balblair 43% by Gordon & MacPhail for £30 in the Co-op in Inveraray. Funny how these local shops up there have decent stuff just kicking about their shelves besides pints of milk and a loaf.
Ah right. Mine was a present from one of my daughters but I doubt she would have bought directly from Ardbeg. She usualy buys from Whisky Exchange or Royal Mile.

Edit: Looks like Royal Mile had it in stock at some point
Royal Mile

I joined the committee online and got the Supernova last year, it was £140. I honestly thought it was overpriced, but the secondary market was mental. I kept it to drink though but wasn't blown away with it. I wasn't going to buy the Blaaack release but it was 'only' £90. I'm not going to bother with any more, unless my taste buds (or the releases) improve. I can't be arsed buying to re-sell, would rather drink it.

Last edited:
I joined the committee online and got the Supernova last year, it was £140. I honestly thought it was overpriced, but the secondary market was mental. I kept it to drink though but wasn't blown away with it. I wasn't going to buy the Blaaack release but it was 'only' £90. I'm not going to bother with any more, unless my taste buds (or the releases) improve. I can't be arsed buying to re-sell, would rather drink it.
I only ever buy to drink mate, never to sell. I prefer to keep it in the £40-£70 range and never go over £100.
I get pissed off when you can't get these releases because of people buying for the secondary market :lol: I liken it to ticket-touting ;)

That was quick, sold out

Just back home from visiting the in-laws, was in the shop yesterday. Discount code was only valid to end of June unfortunately.

I took a run up to Tyndrum and came away with a Kilkerran 12 and this bad boy too:

I picked up a 10yo Balblair 43% by Gordon & MacPhail for £30 in the Co-op in Inveraray. Funny how these local shops up there have decent stuff just kicking about their shelves besides pints of milk and a loaf.

wish my heavily peated would turn up ;)
obviously not their fault..Covid and all that

That was quick, sold out

I was in Lochgilphead myself last week mate, passed through Inverary a couple of times on my travels. Almost made the journey over to the Green Welly but ended off just having a ride around Loch Awe and Oban instead. The Co-op in Lochgilphead has a good selection of whisky, occasionally have decent offers on it too.

The last decent committee release was Dark Cove in 2016 and even that wasn't a patch on some the earlier releases. I've bought a Glenallachie Chinquapin handfill from Tyndrum today, liked the Raasay sample with that cask type so much I had to take the plunge.

Early start for me tonight, 45yo Glen Scotia which is far and away the best I've tried though that list is rather short. Yoichi apple brandy cask finish next which is just ok, very little influence from the finish and definitely not worth the money.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
The last decent committee release was Dark Cove in 2016 and even that wasn't a patch on some the earlier releases. Early start for me tonight, 45yo Glen Scotia which is far and away the best I've tried though that list is rather short. Yoichi apple brandy cask finish next which is just ok, very little influence from the finish and definitely not worth the money.

Apparently Arran are after planting apple trees around Lagg with the purpose of churning out apple brandy which in time they'll finish their whisky with... At least that's what my tour guide told me

Back