Whisky

It's interesting that the Brazilian whisky was so well received. The distillery doesn't seem to have set the world alight otherwise if whiskybase ratings are anything to go by.
Interesting indeed, especially given what it was chosen above
Check this out..

Curiously I was just considering looking up some old books about whisky. Now I'm considering a whisky which smells like old books 🙃

Last edited:
Interesting indeed, especially given what it was chosen above
Check this out..

Curiously I was just considering looking up some old books about whisky. Now I'm considering a whisky which smells like old books 🙃
They'll be collectible if it becomes a series but it's a lot of money for a blend no matter what it's constituent parts.

Saw this article the other day. Wondered what the whisky experts made of this experts choices for fans on a budget ....

I know Derek, he's a good bloke. Has one of the largest collections of whisky in the world including an enormous collection of Bruichladdich. He even makes the Octomore bbq sauce that Bruichladdich sell in their distillery shop.

I'd say they're pretty solid choices to be honest. Nothing especially challenging in any of the flavour profiles but all easy drinkers. There's more you could add, including some blends, but his suggestions are all decent ones.

I know Derek, he's a good bloke. Has one of the largest collections of whisky in the world including an enormous collection of Bruichladdich. He even makes the Octomore bbq sauce that Bruichladdich sell in their distillery shop.

I'd say they're pretty solid choices to be honest. Nothing especially challenging in any of the flavour profiles but all easy drinkers. There's more you could add, including some blends, but his suggestions are all decent ones.
Thanks for that, Im normally a rum/bourbon person but do want to get into whisky. I might take a look at some of them on that list as a beginner.

Saw this article the other day. Wondered what the whisky experts made of this experts choices for fans on a budget ....

I don't know Derek, but I have purchased drams from him during lockdown, gave me the chance to try stuff I wouldn't have otherwise and at excellent prices too. If he's recommending something I'd say there's a genuine reason behind it

was thinking you gave me a sample of the 15yr old rum...but on looking it was the 15yr old Port which was very nice btw 👍

This was the 15yo rum - released for the 15th anniversary of Glengyle. Totally by chance I happened to be visiting Campbeltown when it was released as a shop only bottle. Picked up 3 at the time but gave one to a mate and drank another so only have the 1 left.
It hasn’t been a cheap festival considering I wasn’t able to go myself. A month of gruel ahead.

1 x Campbeltown Loch
1 x Glen Scotia festival 18yo
1 x South Star festival Islay
1 x South Star festival Speyside
1 x Springbank Society Hazelburn Bourbon
2 x 20cl Springbank festival 22yo
3 x 20cl Longrow festival 15yo
3 x 20cl Hazelburn festival 15yo
1 x Kilkerran festival 16yo
1 x Hazelburn demijohn
1 x Kilkerran demijohn
1 x Longrow demijohn
1 x Springbank demijohn
1 x Cadenhead Lagavulin festival 14yo
1 x Cadenhead warehouse Ben Nevis 9yo
1 x Cadenhead warehouse Caol Ila 16yo
1 x Cadenhead Craigellachie 11yo
1 x Cadenhead Tamdhu 14yo
1 x Cadenhead Tomatin 12yo
1 x Watt Whisky Clynelish 21yo Madeira
1 x Watt Whisky Campbeltown Blend

Last edited:
This was the 15yo rum - released for the 15th anniversary of Glengyle. Totally by chance I happened to be visiting Campbeltown when it was released as a shop only bottle. Picked up 3 at the time but gave one to a mate and drank another so only have the 1 left.
It hasn’t been a cheap festival considering I wasn’t able to go myself. A month of gruel ahead.

1 x Campbeltown Loch
1 x South Star festival Islay
1 x South Star festival Speyside
1 x Springbank Society Hazelburn Bourbon
2 x 20cl Springbank festival 22yo
3 x 20cl Longrow festival 15yo
3 x 20cl Hazelburn festival 15yo
1 x Hazelburn demijohn
1 x Kilkerran demijohn
1 x Longrow demijohn
1 x Springbank demijohn
1 x Cadenhead Lagavulin festival 14yo
1 x Cadenhead warehouse Ben Nevis 9yo
1 x Cadenhead warehouse Caol Ila 16yo
1 x Cadenhead Craigellachie 11yo
1 x Cadenhead Tamdhu 14yo
1 x Cadenhead Tomatin 12yo
1 x Watt Whisky Clynelish 21yo Madeira
1 x Watt Whisky Campbeltown Blend

Well I didn't do too shabbily, can't compete with that lot though :lol:

2 x 20cl Longrow festival 15yo
2 x 20cl Hazelburn festival 15yo
1 x Longrow demijohn

Not bad to say I didn't attend, although if I hadn't have been working I definitely would have. Seems like a blast, we should put our heads together and do it one year. I'm game...

This seems a bargain at the price, would be sorely tempted had I not just spent what I have on those above...

Last edited:
Missed the bottom of your post better safe than sorry 😀👍, good price for a good 24yr dram especially in today's climate, it's one of the better buys out there at regular price in my opinion.
Never tried anything from ancnoc but I'm aware of the pedigree from others, plus anything UCF with an age statement such as that and at that price has got to be worth a crack. For a year older you're talking triple the price and more from other distilleries these days

Never tried anything from ancnoc but I'm aware of the pedigree from others, plus anything UCF with an age statement such as that and at that price has got to be worth a crack. For a year older you're talking triple the price and more from other distilleries these days
Had the 24 once and really enjoyed it.
Debating whether to buy…mother in law arriving shortly from France and bringing my order from Berevita…not big selection but ordered a 105, Glenfarclas 12 and a few others, all litres and cheap.

Told her when packing to sacrifice the wine for my whisky 👍

Back