Whisky

Don’t know if it’s going to be available outside of the festival but Ian Croucher and Ronnie Grant from the new Dal Riata distillery both reckon the Glen Scotia festival bottle is exceptional. The heavily peated from the warehouse tour was also well received

Don’t know if it’s going to be available outside of the festival but Ian Croucher and Ronnie Grant from the new Dal Riata distillery both reckon the Glen Scotia festival bottle is exceptional. The heavily peated from the warehouse tour was also well received
Not available until Tuesday coming, and only available from the distillery shop according to Iain.

The Chardonnay cask is unexpectedly good. I’d like to see them release more of it

Really enjoyed the Longrow Chardonnay, this year's red edition too although I've tried that before as was lucky enough to get another sample (haven't opened my bottle yet)

Enjoyed each and every dram tbf, have to be honest whilst this year's local barley was good, if you'd paid secondary prices to obtain it you'd be left feeling disappointed I reckon. Lovely dram but not worth anything over the RRP IMHO. Although don't get me wrong, it is worth the RRP for the chance to sample a LB, and it is a good dram. The higher ABV than the standard 10 meant it gave me that tongue tingling sensation you associate with a good cask strength whisky, although I believe at 51.6 this was actually watered down from CS

Not a huge sherried fan, I don't mind them in fact I occasionally love a peated sherry but regardless, I enjoyed both the SB 15 and HB 13. The HB 13 was particularly interesting as it's an unpeated malt, which you obviously notice in the palate especially in close comparison to the SB 15. However, it still left me with that dirty aftertaste of something like an old garage, used engine oil and old used tyres :lol: I got that with the 15 too but more so with the HB

The 12 CS was good, very spirit driven and as SB's spirit is to my liking I don't mind that at all. And as with the LB it made your tongue tingle, more so than the LB actually given the added strength. I'm a big bourbon fan as well you know and the bourbon influence is very obvious given that's the only casks which were used so definitely one I'd be happy to drink again (just as well I have a 70cl tucked away then)

IMHO though, the star of the show is most probably the standard 10, it's a wonderful dram, I get lots of passion fruit and mango from it, maybe a hint of peaches or something, I love it. I tasted it alongside a 10 I have open from 2020 and couldn't really tell them apart, I expect a more experienced palate could but to me they were both very much alike.

Again don't get me wrong, I'd be happy (ecstatic even) to have any of these bottles in my drinks cupboard (a couple of which I actually do) But the fact that the one you're most likely to be able to consistently replenish is the 10 is what wins it for me as it's a cracker. Best 10 yo on the market ? Probably the best I've tried

Last edited:
The 18yo is typically my annual favourite. Typically has a strong bourbon influence and after the 18yo the value starts to drop off. The local barleys, while good, are seldom worth the hype with the exception of the 16yo. I usually find the local barleys to be softer and more rounded than the others but it's debatable whether that's to it's benefit.

Whiskybroker have added a 33yo Braeval to the site albeit £200. Very expensive for them.

The 18yo is typically my annual favourite. Typically has a strong bourbon influence and after the 18yo the value starts to drop off. The local barleys, while good, are seldom worth the hype with the exception of the 16yo. I usually find the local barleys to be softer and more rounded than the others but it's debatable whether that's to it's benefit.

Whiskybroker have added a 33yo Braeval to the site albeit £200. Very expensive for them.
Out of my league I'm afraid. Interesting touch, personalised v numbered label. Think a few people flipped their Springbank, I could be wrong but I doubt many would be putting this release to auction.

Out of my league I'm afraid. Interesting touch, personalised v numbered label. Think a few people flipped their Springbank, I could be wrong but I doubt many would be putting this release to auction.
Anything that stops/limits flippers a good thing imo.

Enjoying their recent two blends( 6yr and 10yr old) particularly at the price

I am jealous of whisky drinkers as it sounds like a great journey to explore.

I just cannot get away with the taste of whisky. I tried some Laphraig once - it felt like a glass of mud.

I feel I am missing out but just cannot get away with it although I do like Jack Daniels and Jim Beam.

I just cannot get away with the taste of whisky. I tried some Laphraig once - it felt like a glass of mud.

I feel I am missing out but just cannot get away with it although I do like Jack Daniels and Jim Beam.
You should look up a few classier bourbons then, don't have to be that much more expensive than JB/JD either.

So the likes of Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, Makers Mark, Wild Turkey 101 to name a few. Will set you back an extra tenner or so compared to standard JD (or mostly less) but well worth the hike in price.

I only came to like scotch through drinking bourbon 👍

Try an Irish Whiskey, Jameson to start, has a wee bit of the sweetness of bourbon whiskey

Festival single malt available on Tyndrum now and it seems to be this bottling.

Back