Which Hikes or climbs do you have planned?

I went up Ben Nervous when I was 65 . Christ it was tough . I had been in the Crannog the night before eating and drinking for England - not great planning I admit . Many years ago me and our lass were struggling up a horribly steep mountain on the Cowal Penininsular (sp) When a RN punishment detail came Running past us while some sort of beastly NCO gollered at them .
That's a bit of a coincidence we have a meal booked in the crannog the nite before too. Hope it's decent as she loves shellfish.

Starting to walk the Pennine Way in stages from next month. First stage Edale to Hebden Bridge in June
I did that a few years back. I’m not great with heights and I shit myself on Sharp Edge (not literally). Nice walk overall though. You can always get to the top from the other side of the tarn if you don’t like heights.
Attempted Sharp Edge about 10 years ago, and discovered I suffered from Vertigo, either that or I'm soft as shite. Started raining halfway up, and rocks became slippery as fook , give up and went up the other way. Its when hiking becomes rock climbing, agree its not for those who don't like heights, even then though, its not a one for the feint hearted. Still tempted to give it another go as think if I had been with the lads rather than our lass, I might have been too embarrassed to turn back, and just done it through gritted teeth.

Last edited:
Blencathra in the morning out of Scales and over Scales Fell, 5.5 mile route. Then driving to Bassenthwaite and doing a 10 mile loop including Skiddaw. Have lots of options for later in the week but those two are tomorrow, i'll put up the routes afterwards in the pub :).

Related note, but maybe more at home on the running thread, John Kelly is attempting a fastest known time "FKT" of the Pennine Way. You can track him for the next day or so in link below, he's been going over 30 hours so far. He took the FKT last year, running North, before someone ran it a week later running south and beat him, and now he's trying it again using the N>S route.

Last edited:
Yeah you wouldn’t go striding edge way but the thirlmere way is decent for a dog
If you start in glenridding it’s a lush walk up grizedale to grizedale tarn, up the zig zags onto dolly wagon, nethermost then helvellyn, carry on to Raise and head down either glenridding beck route or drop down side of Sheffield pike and down glencoyne.
I did Bealach n Ba up in the Highlands a couple of weeks back alongside another 3 days of brutal climbing.....done with hills for a while...
Did that last year, on me bike😊

Last edited:
Starting to walk the Pennine Way in stages from next month. First stage Edale to Hebden Bridge in June

Attempted Sharp Edge about 10 years ago, and discovered I suffered from Vertigo, either that or I'm soft as shite. Started raining halfway up, and rocks became slippery as fook , give up and went up the other way. Its when hiking becomes rock climbing, agree its not for those who don't like heights, even then though, its not a one for the feint hearted. Still tempted to give it another go as think if I had been with the lads rather than our lass, I might have been too embarrassed to turn back, and just done it through gritted teeth.
I had a similar experience attempting jacks rake on the face of pavey arc, legs went to jelly and I froze to the rock, my mate was saying it was harder to go down as your descending blind and he was right, but I couldn’t go up another step, had to back my way down to the base and went all the way round the side to meet him at the top. Knew then that that level of exposure is too much for me. Quite happy tackling big fells on my own but jacks rake was too much.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience attempting jacks rake on the face of pavey arc, legs went to jelly and I froze to the rock, my mate was saying it was harder to go down as your descending blind and he was right, but I couldn’t go up another step, had to back my way down to the base and went all the way round the side to meet him at the top. Knew then that that level of exposure is too much for me. Quite happy tackling big fells on my own but jacks rake was too much.
It's listed as a scramble but it's very high and certain death if you fall off . I've done it twice 50 years ago and I wasn't really comfortable either time . I certainly would not wan to climb down it .

It's listed as a scramble but it's very high and certain death if you fall off . I've done it twice 50 years ago and I wasn't really comfortable either time . I certainly would not wan to climb down it .
Lad I went with is a good climber, he said it was highest grade scramble, next level up is rope climbs, which to be honest made it worse for me, think I’d rather do the next level up with a rope than do that again without.
Love walking that area.

Last edited:

Back