Which Hikes or climbs do you have planned?

Recommend me 1 near Keswick
If you head to Dodds wood, you can getup onto long side edge, a cracking broad ridge leading to unlock pike. You can make a loop back down here by Carl side tarn and back to where you started or crack on up the scree to top off skiddaw. Then make a much bigger loop by heading off the south side and all the way back round to Dodds wood. Did this the other way a few weeks back but going in the other direction, skiddaw first, cracking walk but I ended up doing over 4000 feet of elevation after making a bad decision in the woods. Nearly killed the dog as was very warm.

Got a few days booked in fort william coming up so taking the Mrs up nevis fnarr fnarr. I love done it a few times doing my mountain leader stuff with the RN but a first for her.

I have a book of routes in the lakes, I think it's called great mountain days in the lakes. It has about 50 routes, mostly full days with each one taking in lots of tops. I'd recommend it to anyone who is starting out is reasonably fit but doesn't have much knowledge of the Lakeland fells.

The next new hill/mountain I am looking forward to doing is Devil's Peak on Table Mountain. We've done quite a bit of hiking on table mountain and across the western cape but haven't done the peak yet. It adds a bit of a thrill to a walk when you round a corner and come across a troop of baboons. Makes a change from dodging cows in the UK.

Not sure where our next UK hill walk will be, might be the lakes when we visit my sister in law in the next few weeks. Her other half completed all the Wainwrights during lockdown, being fortunate enough to live in the lakes.

I did that a few years back. I’m not great with heights and I shit myself on Sharp Edge (not literally). Nice walk overall though. You can always get to the top from the other side of the tarn if you don’t like heights.

I like the edges etc however i will be with the mrs so looks like we'll be doing it the front way

Have a week in the lakes starting tomorrow. Going to do Blencathra tomorrow morning before check in, and then will be looking at doing a 20 mile trek / x2 shorter routes per day across the week.

Going to plan it all this afternoon / this evening. If I get it finalised I’ll put on here for opinions / recommendations

Done Scafell Pike last week. Haven’t got any others planned yet but we’re heading to Anglesey for bank holiday so might do one in snowdonia. Not snowdon though, bit too busy last time

I like the edges etc however i will be with the mrs so looks like we'll be doing it the front way
Is this out of Thirlmere you are talking about? It’s relatively easy and gives you a good view over Thirlmere water as you go up.

Thinking of doing it again this week as I don’t want to do the edges either

At the end of June, we have a long walk out to Loch Bealach a' Mhadaidh Mor behind Ben More Assynt, known as the Loch to far as it's said that you can't walk to it, fish round it then get back out a day, we are lucky as we have access to a 4WD track that saves us around 10 miles of the hike in but its still another 3+ hours each way, a stunning hike high up into the hills, it needs good weather as often it is in the clouds.

Is this out of Thirlmere you are talking about? It’s relatively easy and gives you a good view over Thirlmere water as you go up.

Thinking of doing it again this week as I don’t want to do the edges either

No not for helvellyn. Blencathra, you can go up the back via sharp edge or go the front/south way just to the summit.

For helvellyn yeah you can go thirlmere way but ive always done it from glenridding

going to walk to the fridge for another beer and a kit kat in a minute during the adverts in bargain loving brits in blackpool. that's about it.
I've just been upstairs. That will be the highest I climb for the foreseeable future. Not that I've ever climbed much higher than that mind.

Got a few days booked in fort william coming up so taking the Mrs up nevis fnarr fnarr. I love done it a few times doing my mountain leader stuff with the RN but a first for her.
I went up Ben Nervous when I was 65 . Christ it was tough . I had been in the Crannog the night before eating and drinking for England - not great planning I admit . Many years ago me and our lass were struggling up a horribly steep mountain on the Cowal Penininsular (sp) When a RN punishment detail came Running past us while some sort of beastly NCO gollered at them .

Toughest climb for me this year will be Ben Hiant on the Ardnamurchan peninsular. Looking forward to the views off the top, they are supposed to be fantastic, on a clear day.

I was up at easter. The Bealach was very quiet, the only thing i passed on my drive over was the snow plough coming in the opposite direction. I'm up again in two weeks time, and expect it to be a lot busier

Back