Which club in terms of size are Sunderland most similar in your opinion?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date

For me Spurs are in the top 8 in this country

1 Man Utd 2 Dippers
They’re way out in front, then you’ve got a group of 6 with not much in them, you could have put them in any order really over the years.
Leeds. Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton, Man City.
Then in the next lot you’ve got teams like
Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle, West Ham, Shitfield Wednesday, Wolves.
Leeds aren't in the same bracket as Man City, Chelsea and arsenal. Or even Everton and Spurs. Absolutely ridiculous.
They've not played a top flight game for 16 years.
They're not even on the level of Newcastle, Sunderland or Villa.

Leeds aren't in the same bracket as Man City, Chelsea and arsenal. Or even Everton and Spurs. Absolutely ridiculous.
They've not played a top flight game for 16 years.
They're not even on the level of Newcastle, Sunderland or Villa.

Fan base wise they are right up there. It’s why they’re never off Sky the viewing figures where they are on are massive.

Last edited:
All correct but don't play down how far NUFC are behind Spurs as well. Also on huge levels of crack to think that ;)

Miles behind them, I know that.
Just saying there's potential to get near them if the takeover does a Man City or Chelsea type thing. We are in the same division, have big support and don't win things. Like spurs. Instead of finishing 10 places below them we might finish near them and qualify for Europe, maybe a cup run now and then. I don't think it'll happen but the potential is there.
For example 10+ years ago probably would say Spurs were bigger than City. Now I think City are way ahead of Spurs.

Fan base wise they are right up there. It’s why they’re never off Sky the viewing figures where they are on are massive.

Decent support, can't disagree on that.
Although the first time they sold out after leaving the premier league was 2016. 12 years to fill their ground.

Spurs are a huge club. Only a matter of time before they win a major honour. Even outside the top flight they have a tradition of huge support .

Spurs are a huge club. Only a matter of time before they win a major honour. Even outside the top flight they have a tradition of huge support .

Watching Barnsley I travel all over the country, Peterborough, Colchester, Reading, Oxford, Swindon, Crawley, MK, Southend, and more, If Spurs or Chelsea are the early kick off you can’t shift in boozers for pricks in their kits, absolutely packed to the rafters with them.

Ok then I will bite, oh look a bitter and twisted 13 year old troll, telling lies and making rubbish up.
The last time Newcastle United won an official Trophy was in 1955 :lol: Spurs have only won 14 Trophies since then matey including 3 European Trophies but Newcastle United are absolutely massive aren’t they mate.

Spurs piss all over Newcastle United regarding fan base size, Spurs are 4th in the all time average attendance table, Spurs hold the record attendances for English clubs in the Premier league, the Champions League, and the Europa League, Newcastle United on the other hand hold the all time record attendances for “shouting at shops” for “punching horses“ and for having the most “fat gutted gravy stained slobs”.

Oh and Newcastle United have finished behind Spurs in the Premier League for the last 16 seasons matey, but you are truly a massive club aren’t you. :lol:

I do agree that `Sunderland are a much bigger club than Spurs though fair play , but not Newcastle United how can any club be big if it hasn’t won an official trophy since 1955 how embarrassing is that ffs.

Newcastle United are so massive that they are worth a little over 300m compared to little old Spurs who are only worth 2.5bn see below ........

:lol:

Decent bite but you might want to run your numbers again from 1909 for both teams. In the interest of fairness, like as attendances were generally lower in the late 19th century.

You'll get a different answer.

I'm sorry like but i'm a Sunderland fan and no-one outside of Newcastle or Sunderland would have either of them as a bigger club that Spurs. Newcastle have a massively inflated view of the size of their club which is shared by no-one else. Large support is only one small factor when determine the size of a club and they even beat you on that historically.

If you had this argument in 1980 that would be a good shout. However the last 40 years of us being dog turd has to count for something :lol: They are way bigger than us and bigger than the Mags as well.
Talking fan base ground and infrastructure we should be this successful. Unfortunately we are one of the worst run clubs in the four divisions. Our under achievement in my lifetime is outstanding. We would be top 6 in under achievement and mismanagement.

So what about Liverpool’s win in 2019 - they beat one team from Brazil (and SA teams lose all their best players to Europe anyway, so the Brazilian club would not be classed by anyone as being one of the 2 top sides in the world), after getting a bye to the semi final because the other teams who were invited were not considered worth playing. So should Liverpool’s win be discounted also?
This is the silliest thing in this thread (and somebody argued that Newcastle were a bigger club than Spurs....).

Liverpool beat PSG, Munich, Barcelona and Spurs (amongst others) in the world club cup pre-qualifying. So discount it all you like Junior

This is the silliest thing in this thread (and somebody argued that Newcastle were a bigger club than Spurs....).

Liverpool beat PSG, Munich, Barcelona and Spurs (amongst others) in the world club cup pre-qualifying. So discount it all you like Junior
Silliest?:):). You can only beat what’s around at the time. Let’s discount a couple of Italy’s 1930s World Cup wins also then, as most teams couldn’t be bothered to travel and football was played to a high standard in far fewer countries than today.

Fan base my arse. They aren’t on Sky any more than Villa were when we were in the Championship. I’m fed up of hearing about Leeds and their massive (imaginary) fan base. It may have been bigger than average in the revie era and in a few year’s thereafter but not now. Have a look when they’re in the prem and see how often they’re on. It won’t be half as much

Leeds for all the success they had were poorly supported in the Revie era. Throughout the sixties the popularity of rugby league split their support and it is only now with football so trendy and the Revie nostalgia in overdrive that Leeds are drawing decent crowds. Added to the fact Leeds is the largest populated one city one club in England it is hardly surprising they are drawing large numbers in the championship.

There are 3 clubs who are beyond doubt-Arsenal Liverpool Man Utd

After that the rest mainly jostle for placings due to spikes of success that are not maintained-Everton may be the exception who rarely dominate a particular period but until Premier accumulated trophies in short bursts. And rarely play outside top division. So give them 4th place.

Left shuffling Villa Newcastle Sunderland Man City Chelsea Spurs around due to accumulation of trophies-on basis of contemporary competition being more valid would be Chelsea (5th) with European trophies then Man City (6th) because they going to keep adding trophies. Villa (7th) as have biggest European cup along with cups in living memory. Spurs (8th) as have Double & trophies in living memory. Newcastle (9th) not just for hell of it but have more trophies more recently so Sunderland 10th. Clearly the statement about the last two placings will draw most debate. But Sunderland have won just 5 trophies since 1900 & played 4 games in Europe. Newcastle have won 10 trophies in same period along with European one.

Leeds for all the success they had were poorly supported in the Revie era. Throughout the sixties the popularity of rugby league split their support and it is only now with football so trendy and the Revie nostalgia in overdrive that Leeds are drawing decent crowds. Added to the fact Leeds is the largest populated one city one club in England it is hardly surprising they are drawing large numbers in the championship.

They’re a three city club really, Wakefield, and York are absolutely snided with the horrible bastards, as is Doncaster. Leeds are the best supported club in all thee of them places, same as Harrogate, Pontefract, Featherstone, Halifax and Castleford, their catchment area is massive, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Rotherham and Bradford are absolutely wicked Leeds fans too.

Last edited:
Sheffield’s, Villa, West Ham, Newcastle,
It's very difficult to judge a club on its size in the current climate. How exactly do you judge it? Attendences? Trophy's won? Longevity in the top flight?

In my opinion you are only as big as the starting eleven you put out on a Saturday afternoon. The quality of those eleven players are representative of the size of your club.

In the current climate attendances don't count for much giving a large percentage of a top flight clubs revenue is generated from tv money and sponsorship.

In terms of history how many trophies in recent years do you have to have won to be classified as a big club? If that's the case we should be no bigger than Luton, Wimbledon, middlesbrough, Coventy, Birmingham, Wigan and Portsmouth to name a few who have all won trophies more recent than us.
No two clubs are the same but if I had to pick I’d probably put Sunderland and Derby in a similar bracket

For me Spurs are in the top 8 in this country

1 Man Utd 2 Dippers
They’re way out in front, then you’ve got a group of 6 with not much in them, you could have put them in any order really over the years.
Leeds. Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton, Man City.
Then in the next lot you’ve got teams like
Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle, West Ham, Shitfield Wednesday, Wolves.

Leeds as big as Arsenal and Chelsea?

Wednesday and Wolves as big as Villa?
Do we know which teams Sunderland played to become World Champions yet?

it was Hearts. Villa won it prior to that but we don't recognise it as a trophy won. The 'World Club Championship' was just between English and Scottish league winners. Still if the winners of US baseball can call themselves World Champions, i see no problem with Villa or Sunderland trying it on.

Last edited:
Leeds as big as Arsenal and Chelsea?

Wednesday and Wolves as big as Villa?

it was Hearts. Villa won it prior to that but we don't recognise it as a trophy won. The 'World Club Championship' was just between English and Scottish league winners. Still if the winners of US baseball can call themselves World Champions, i see no problem with Villa or Sunderland trying it on.

Yeah all club have their ups and downs over the years but they’ll be in that bracket due to what they’ve done in past and their capabilities in the future. Villa are a nats bollock of been in second group. And Wolves same for being out of 3rd group.

West ham?

Chelsea are the the team which is a myth regarding support.
I moved to London in 83. I couldn’t believe how many people were Chelsea fans but never went. They’ve always been one of London’s four biggest clubs.
The search for the perfect big club defining formula goes on.....

Last edited:

Back