Which club in terms of size are Sunderland most similar in your opinion?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This feels like one of those arguments where if you have to argue you're hard, then you're a fanny. We're fighting to remain relevant here.

We were a big club, but we're fading. Badly. FWIW, I'd have us around West Ham, but honestly, we're dropping every year.

We're going to be spending a minimum of 6 years outside of the PL, and honestly it could be more like 10. In 10 years, a team like Leicester will be above us. Their average attendance will probably have been higher for a decade (30k ish). And we'll argue that we won the league 100 years ago. And it's about as relevant as PNE and Blackpool arguing the same thing.

We also have no European history. And that counts against us badly. Even Norwich have had some European glory nights. I can see Wolves winning the Europa this year. Even the mags had some big nights about 20 years ago.

In conclusion, we're a big club for white British men aged between 35 and 60. But for people younger than that, and anyone outside of England, we're that team on netflix that loses a lot.

Let's look at Spurs away support then.

I've never seen more than around 2k up here... at the very most. Although I hear you had around 5k for a cup game when Kluivert scored and knocked you out...

On the contrary Newcastle (and I imagine Sunderland) have taken huge numbers to WHL.

I don't class Spurs as a particularly big club, sorry and all that. Newcastle and Sunderland are much bigger than Spurs and always will be.

All about opinions isn't it, and you're welcome to yours.

Ok then I will bite, oh look a bitter and twisted 13 year old troll, telling lies and making rubbish up.
The last time Newcastle United won an official Trophy was in 1955 :lol: Spurs have only won 14 Trophies since then matey including 3 European Trophies but Newcastle United are absolutely massive aren’t they mate.

Spurs piss all over Newcastle United regarding fan base size, Spurs are 4th in the all time average attendance table, Spurs hold the record attendances for English clubs in the Premier league, the Champions League, and the Europa League, Newcastle United on the other hand hold the all time record attendances for “shouting at shops” for “punching horses“ and for having the most “fat gutted gravy stained slobs”.

Oh and Newcastle United have finished behind Spurs in the Premier League for the last 16 seasons matey, but you are truly a massive club aren’t you. :lol:

I do agree that `Sunderland are a much bigger club than Spurs though fair play , but not Newcastle United how can any club be big if it hasn’t won an official trophy since 1955 how embarrassing is that ffs.

Newcastle United are so massive that they are worth a little over 300m compared to little old Spurs who are only worth 2.5bn see below ........

For me Spurs are in the top 8 in this country

1 Man Utd 2 Dippers
They’re way out in front, then you’ve got a group of 6 with not much in them, you could have put them in any order really over the years.
Leeds. Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton, Man City.
Then in the next lot you’ve got teams like
Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle, West Ham, Shitfield Wednesday, Wolves.

Last edited:
Yeah they're not. Go to bed son

They are. Similar fan base and have a similar history honours wise.

1 Man Utd 2 Dippers
They’re way out in front, then you’ve got a group of 6 with not much in them, you could have put them in any order really over the years.

I know most will disagree, but I’d have Leeds on par with Wednesday.

Leeds have won less and have never averaged a bigger attendance than Wednesday. But I know they’ve flirted with success in Europe in the 70s and under O’Leary.
This feels like one of those arguments where if you have to argue you're hard, then you're a fanny. We're fighting to remain relevant here.

We were a big club, but we're fading. Badly. FWIW, I'd have us around West Ham, but honestly, we're dropping every year.

We're going to be spending a minimum of 6 years outside of the PL, and honestly it could be more like 10. In 10 years, a team like Leicester will be above us. Their average attendance will probably have been higher for a decade (30k ish). And we'll argue that we won the league 100 years ago. And it's about as relevant as PNE and Blackpool arguing the same thing.

We also have no European history. And that counts against us badly. Even Norwich have had some European glory nights. I can see Wolves winning the Europa this year. Even the mags had some big nights about 20 years ago.

In conclusion, we're a big club for white British men aged between 35 and 60. But for people younger than that, and anyone outside of England, we're that team on netflix that loses a lot.

Cant argue with that. I always look at how big a club is now success/fan base wise and then historically.

Unfortunately we had our glory years 100 years ago and before European competitions really took off.

Last edited:
How did you qualify for the world club champ
Who else?
So what about Liverpool’s win in 2019 - they beat one team from Brazil (and SA teams lose all their best players to Europe anyway, so the Brazilian club would not be classed by anyone as being one of the 2 top sides in the world), after getting a bye to the semi final because the other teams who were invited were not considered worth playing. So should Liverpool’s win be discounted also?

You no doubt list the inter city fairgrounds cup as a European honour when you only qualified because it was an unofficial competition to foster trade links which only allowed one club per city to take part.

Good summary mate unfortunately. We all love Sunderland to bits but the club is falling down the pecking order every year.....and like you think it will be a long long time until we are back in Premier League, I think 10 to 15 years.

1 Man Utd 2 Dippers
Move Leeds down a tier and you're spot on.

1 Man Utd 2 Dippers
You've got to have Leicester in there man surely. Move Leeds down to the next tier.

Ok then I will bite, oh look a bitter and twisted 13 year old troll, telling lies and making rubbish up.
The last time Newcastle United won an official Trophy was in 1955 :lol: Spurs have only won 14 Trophies since then matey including 3 European Trophies but Newcastle United are absolutely massive aren’t they mate.

Spurs piss all over Newcastle United regarding fan base size, Spurs are 4th in the all time average attendance table, Spurs hold the record attendances for English clubs in the Premier league, the Champions League, and the Europa League, Newcastle United on the other hand hold the all time record attendances for “shouting at shops” for “punching horses“ and for having the most “fat gutted gravy stained slobs”.

Oh and Newcastle United have finished behind Spurs in the Premier League for the last 16 seasons matey, but you are truly a massive club aren’t you. :lol:

I do agree that `Sunderland are a much bigger club than Spurs though fair play , but not Newcastle United how can any club be big if it hasn’t won an official trophy since 1955 how embarrassing is that ffs.

Newcastle United are so massive that they are worth a little over 300m compared to little old Spurs who are only worth 2.5bn see below ........

Somebody seems to be over compensating. Spurs are a nothing club, nobody ever talks about them. Crap away support, notice you didn't deny that. I've probably forgotten more games I've attended than you've actually been to. I'm not a 13 year old bi partisan idiot, I can see that clubs such as Sunderland (my nearest rivals) are bigger than spurs (deliberate lower case) It's just an opinion, you don't have to like it, or agree with it. You show your own juvenile behaviour in your inability to disagree without displaying a modicum of class. Par for the course with most spurs fans I've met over the years. A lot like Chelsea in that respect, delusions of grandeur.

As much as I despise the likes of Chelsea, Manchester City, and PSG for buying trophies rather than earning them organically, regarding Chelsea it is actually a myth that they are a poorly supported club, yes they had poor attendances in the 80/90s but many clubs did including Sunderland who were regularly attracting average attendances of 13k/15k.

Fact is generally over the course of their history Chelsea have been a club with fantastic support and good average attendances, I suggest you do some research before making such a claim.

Try checking out their social media stats, their merchandise sales or the fact that they charge high ticket prices but fill their stadium for virtually every game including Cup ties.

:lol::lol:

An easy answer years ago. Crowd numbers generated all revenues and in a non global domestic game it was relatively easy for clubs with big budgets to pick off the fairly obvious talents from other teams.
SKY and wealthy foreign owners have changed the landscape for ever.
So the large crowds we draw do not make a difference. We are not in a sought after location for foreign investors.
In the modern game we probably rank as one of the twenty or thirty provincial clubs who if well managed are capable of a run in the Premier Leauge. However with the many vagaries and uncertanties in the game a club like us would always be on borrowed time in such high status.

An easy answer years ago. Crowd numbers generated all revenues and in a non global domestic game it was relatively easy for clubs with big budgets to pick off the fairly obvious talents from other teams.
SKY and wealthy foreign owners have changed the landscape for ever.
So the large crowds we draw do not make a difference. We are not in a sought after location for foreign investors.
In the modern game we probably rank as one of the twenty or thirty provincial clubs who if well managed are capable of a run in the Premier Leauge. However with the many vagaries and uncertanties in the game a club like us would always be on borrowed time in such high status.

Run properly by people who know what they are doing, I reckon you could and should, be doing what the like of Southampton are doing without massive amounts of outside investment, the problem you’ve got is you’ve been run into the ground by clueless wankers.

I've never seen more than around 2k up here... at the very most. Although I hear you had around 5k for a cup game when Kluivert scored and knocked you out...

On the contrary Newcastle (and I imagine Sunderland) have taken huge numbers to WHL.

I don't class Spurs as a particularly big club, sorry and all that. Newcastle and Sunderland are much bigger than Spurs and always will be.

I'm sorry like but i'm a Sunderland fan and no-one outside of Newcastle or Sunderland would have either of them as a bigger club that Spurs. Newcastle have a massively inflated view of the size of their club which is shared by no-one else. Large support is only one small factor when determine the size of a club and they even beat you on that historically.

If you had this argument in 1980 that would be a good shout. However the last 40 years of us being dog turd has to count for something :lol: They are way bigger than us and bigger than the Mags as well.

Last edited:
So what about Liverpool’s win in 2019 - they beat one team from Brazil (and SA teams lose all their best players to Europe anyway, so the Brazilian club would not be classed by anyone as being one of the 2 top sides in the world), after getting a bye to the semi final because the other teams who were invited were not considered worth playing. So should Liverpool’s win be discounted also?

You no doubt list the inter city fairgrounds cup as a European honour when you only qualified because it was an unofficial competition to foster trade links which only allowed one club per city to take part.

Easy tiger.

Don't need to get defensive I'm just asking about how Sunderland were world champions.

You're on crack if you think Sunderland are bigger than Spurs and always will be.
Newcastle aren't bigger than Spurs either, but have a chance to overtake them if this take over happens and there's a Man City/Chelsea type situation. Don't think that'll happen though.

Easy tiger.

Don't need to get defensive I'm just asking about how Sunderland were world champions.

You're on crack if you think Sunderland are bigger than Spurs and always will be.
Newcastle aren't bigger than Spurs either
, but have a chance to overtake them if this take over happens and there's a Man City/Chelsea type situation. Don't think that'll happen though.

All correct but don't play down how far NUFC are behind Spurs as well. Also on huge levels of crack to think that ;)

I'm sorry like but i'm a Sunderland fan and no-one outside of Newcastle or Sunderland would have either of them as a bigger club that Spurs. Newcastle have a massively inflated view of the size of their club which is shared by no-one else. Large support is only one small factor when determine the size of a club and they even beat you on that historically.

If you had this argument in 1980 that would be a good shout. However the last 40 years of us being dog turd has to count for something :lol: They are way bigger than us and bigger than the Mags as well.

Only on bums on seats, it’s same with Leeds, bums on seats, they’re not that big, but the amount of people that call themselves Leeds fans when asked is astronomical, in Yorkshire they’re the best supported club in three city’s and three towns, and have massive amounts of fans who claim to be Leeds fans, from top to bottom in this country, the big London clubs are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back