Which club in terms of size are Sunderland most similar in your opinion?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
Always a good debate for those that are interested in it.

I've said this in the past but I don't think it's as easy as just doing 1 list as things change so much. Look at where Wolves were 2-3 years ago, Leicester 5-6 years ago, and how far Sunderland have dropped in 4-5 years. Currently i'd say Sunderland are on a par with the likes of Leeds and Forest. Big formerly successful clubs who are out of the top flight. Overall, i'd have Sunderland at a similar size as Newcastle, Leeds and West Ham.

I would have it like this overall:

Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal
Everton, Villa, Chelsea, Man City, Spurs
Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds, West Ham
Then clubs like Wolves, Forest, Leicester, Southampton, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn, Bolton, West Brom

More recently (taking in to account about the last 3/4/5 years)

"The big 6"
Leicester, Everton, Wolves
West Ham, Newcastle, Villa, Southampton
Leeds, Sunderland, Villa

For me, the main things are success (most importantly League Titles and the European Cup/CL), fanbase (including home crowds and away following), overall history, recent achievements and status within the game.

Always a good debate for those that are interested in it.

I've said this in the past but I don't think it's as easy as just doing 1 list as things change so much. Look at where Wolves were 2-3 years ago, Leicester 5-6 years ago, and how far Sunderland have dropped in 4-5 years. Currently i'd say Sunderland are on a par with the likes of Leeds and Forest. Big formerly successful clubs who are out of the top flight. Overall, i'd have Sunderland at a similar size as Newcastle, Leeds and West Ham.

I would have it like this overall:

Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal
Everton, Villa, Chelsea, Man City, Spurs
Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds, West Ham
Then clubs like Wolves, Forest, Leicester, Southampton, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn, Bolton, West Brom

More recently (taking in to account about the last 3/4/5 years)

"The big 6"
Leicester, Everton, Wolves
West Ham, Newcastle, Villa, Southampton
Leeds, Sunderland, Villa

For me, the main things are success (most importantly League Titles and the European Cup/CL), fanbase (including home crowds and away following), overall history, recent achievements and status within the game.
I think you're being too kind to us tbh mate. Thanks to the jokers we have in charge we're looking at third consecutive season in division 3 and no end in sight.

Because there’s 13 other English clubs who under the same circumstances as Leicester’s recently would be drawing bigger crowds than Leicester. THATS how to measure a clubs size.

Listen to this man everyone. He KNOWS. He’s got a superior intellect.
How's the 2019-21 season going Einstein? 🤣 🤣 🤣

How's the 2019-21 season going Einstein? 🤣 🤣 🤣
🤣Early days yet.

That’s not what I said would happen, I said “the season will finish”......and said it plenty of times. Said it would finish and could even end up as 2019-21. But you know that.
Remember you’re the “man” with the superior intellect who said it wouldn’t even restart.....and said it plenty of times.

Still early days yet though. You and your “superior intellect“ may well prove to be right as it’s not restarted yet. If that’s the case then I’ll be man enough to admit you were right and I was wrong. Obviously you wont. You’lljust slink off for months as per usual when you make a twat of yourself.

First off I am a mag so be gentle as a first time poster! I remember around '79 or '80 being locked up after bother at Hillsborough, so on remand received a note from a mate that Sunderland had well over 50k for their first game of the season with the expectations high under Lorry Mackemenemy. So there proves the massive potential IF their was even a sniff of success.

If you had been watching Jimmy Greaves or Martin Chivers or most of the Spurs sides since the '60's and especially their entertainers, you'd have regular full houses. No debate. If the resident yid had been watching virtually every Sunderland side since Billy Hughes, he would have given up on football altogether. Spurs would have had poor gates, no debate.

Though the fact that NUFC are the 5th best supported club in history is phenomenal if the joke is we haven't won anything for 65 years, unlike Spurs. Yet before 1969 we were bigger than Liverpool on trophies. The entertainers of the 50's with stadiums everywhere packed out to see the Milburn cup teams. 50k plus central league gates.

The other argument about one club one city, hence both our support. If there is a resident brain on here who can total the whole north east population from Northumberland to Weirdside, including Durham etc. Then look at the population of say Liverpool and Merseyside and Manchester and Greater Manchester. Factor in the many Lancashire towns like Warrington, with big population and split half scouser and half manc, you may find they might have two clubs in one city, but bigger populated cities and still a massive catchment area. So our two clubs in the whole area are not higher populated than say the Merseyside area, who have Tranmere rather than pool and Darlo for competition. I may be wrong, but I don't claim brains...but.

Back in the day London had a lot of people who will turn up for any massive games and not support that particular club, at least it was so before the Premiership all ticket full stadiums. Spurs the one week, Chelsea the next then Arsenal.

Anyway just my thoughts, of course we remain bitter enemies, but I am at least fair!

Sadly though, even when you won the FA cup it was called a giant killing even then, so the fall had begun a long time previously.

Also recall the demonstrations began after Super Mac was sold and so did our own decline. Eventually the board demolished the Leazes End and seen as deliberate to stop the noisy demo's and abuse. For years we turned up with no covered end and stuck in the Gallowgate corner which if you can imagine the Fulwell demolished and stuck in the Roker end, you'll get the point.

Sunderland have more potential than any club in the country, but like us it needs a massive investment and takeover. You should want our Saudi takeover to happen and some success, because it could result in your only hope, some foreign investor/ takeover! It is called reality despite our rivalry.

🤣Early days yet.

That’s not what I said would happen, I said “the season will finish”......and said it plenty of times. Said it would finish and could even end up as 2019-21. But you know that.
Remember you’re the “man” with the superior intellect who said it wouldn’t even restart.....and said it plenty of times.

Still early days yet though. You and your “superior intellect“ may well prove to be right as it’s not restarted yet. If that’s the case then I’ll be man enough to admit you were right and I was wrong. Obviously you wont. You’lljust slink off for months as per usual when you make a twat of yourself.
You're a fuckin idiot pal. I said this season wouldn't be completed to the detriment of next season which anyone with a brain would agree with. You then started going off on one about this season taking priority and even going into a 2 year season. I also corrected you on a few misconceptions you had about contracts which clearly struck a nerve with you.

You're a fuckin idiot pal. I said this season wouldn't be completed to the detriment of next season which anyone with a brain would agree with. You then started going off on one about this season taking priority and even going into a 2 year season. I also corrected you on a few misconceptions you had about contracts which clearly struck a nerve with you.
:lol: Bollocks.
Get yourself a life ferchrissakes. You’re a Villa fan. This is a Sunderland fans forum. It’s not heathy for you coming on here posting crap, making stuff up, twisting your own and others words, irritating strangers, being mocked by people you’ll never meet, boasting about your superior intellect, lying, flouncing off for months on end in embarrassment when your team lets you down. Sort yourself out.

Until recent years, I'd have said we fit somewhere just above West Brom.

Both decently and vocally supported clubs with its fan base largely local. Admittedly their ground is much smaller hence why I would say we are above them.

Both not won anything for a long time. Had occasional short periods of stability in the top flight, but largely bounced between premiership and league one.

Neither club has really rocked the transfer market in huge money moves in or out.

Both have fierce rivalry with their neighbours.

First off I am a mag so be gentle as a first time poster! I remember around '79 or '80 being locked up after bother at Hillsborough, so on remand received a note from a mate that Sunderland had well over 50k for their first game of the season with the expectations high under Lorry Mackemenemy. So there proves the massive potential IF their was even a sniff of success.

If you had been watching Jimmy Greaves or Martin Chivers or most of the Spurs sides since the '60's and especially their entertainers, you'd have regular full houses. No debate. If the resident yid had been watching virtually every Sunderland side since Billy Hughes, he would have given up on football altogether. Spurs would have had poor gates, no debate.

Though the fact that NUFC are the 5th best supported club in history is phenomenal if the joke is we haven't won anything for 65 years, unlike Spurs. Yet before 1969 we were bigger than Liverpool on trophies. The entertainers of the 50's with stadiums everywhere packed out to see the Milburn cup teams. 50k plus central league gates.

The other argument about one club one city, hence both our support. If there is a resident brain on here who can total the whole north east population from Northumberland to Weirdside, including Durham etc. Then look at the population of say Liverpool and Merseyside and Manchester and Greater Manchester. Factor in the many Lancashire towns like Warrington, with big population and split half scouser and half manc, you may find they might have two clubs in one city, but bigger populated cities and still a massive catchment area. So our two clubs in the whole area are not higher populated than say the Merseyside area, who have Tranmere rather than pool and Darlo for competition. I may be wrong, but I don't claim brains...but.

Back in the day London had a lot of people who will turn up for any massive games and not support that particular club, at least it was so before the Premiership all ticket full stadiums. Spurs the one week, Chelsea the next then Arsenal.

Anyway just my thoughts, of course we remain bitter enemies, but I am at least fair!

Sadly though, even when you won the FA cup it was called a giant killing even then, so the fall had begun a long time previously.

Also recall the demonstrations began after Super Mac was sold and so did our own decline. Eventually the board demolished the Leazes End and seen as deliberate to stop the noisy demo's and abuse. For years we turned up with no covered end and stuck in the Gallowgate corner which if you can imagine the Fulwell demolished and stuck in the Roker end, you'll get the point.

Sunderland have more potential than any club in the country, but like us it needs a massive investment and takeover. You should want our Saudi takeover to happen and some success, because it could result in your only hope, some foreign investor/ takeover! It is called reality despite our rivalry.

TBF thats not true like our capacity was only in the 30s at that stage.

Yet another pile of ill informed bollocks based entirely on what you would have liked to have been the case rather than the actual facts of the matter, it seems to be a running theme with Newcastle United fans doesn’t it.:rolleyes:

Regarding your made up drivel regarding Spurs historical attendances where you tried to deride them and ended your rant with a “no debate” remark, well let’s debate it then shall we.

From 1929 to 1950 Spurs spent 17 of those seasons in the second division, surely a good test of any clubs fans support and loyalty yet in 1948/49 season after a long spell of 2nd division football Spurs averaged over 48k and had lots of big attendances in fact at least 2 of those attendances were higher than Newcastle United's all time record attendance of 68,386, but there is no debate regarding Spurs fans loyalty is there mate.

I am not saying that Spurs are unique or that Spurs fans are unwaveringly loyal, no other clubs fans are either, I can’t deny that there have had some appallingly bad attendances at times and on occasions some poor average attendances over various seasons which is exactly the case with any other club, but the facts are that Spurs are overall a club that has a tradition of being supported in very large numbers both historically and currentlly.

TOPSPURS - the world famous home of Tottenham Hotspur on the internet

It would be interesting to know the views of supporters of european clubs.
To change it slightly,what would be the criteria if I asked which is the biggest company in the world? Would it be the biggest profit?
Most employees? Biggest turnover?
Are Real Madrid the biggest club in the world because they have the biggest turnover?

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know the views of supporters of european clubs.
To change it slightly,what would be the criteria if I asked which is the biggest company in the world? Would it be the biggest profit?
Most employees? Biggest turnover?
Are Real Madrid the biggest club in the world because they have the biggest turnover?
Real Madrid and then probably Barcelona are the clubs that can attract the best Premier League players from our biggest clubs when they are at the peak of their career. (also Serie A , Bundesliga)
I’d say this is what makes them the biggest in the world.
Man Utd might be comparable commercially but if Rashford for instance left I’d say it would only be to Real ( or Barca but less likely I reckon)

Their are 90 other League clubs so which one club would you put Sunderland on par with...?.... Try and explain your reasoning and be realistic.... Obviously no fan would choose us as being on par with Man United Liverpool etc so who do we most resemble?

Personally I think West Ham.... Passionate support, never won anything in donkeys years .. The infrastructure is in place for them to be massive but seem to make so many mistakes off the field.
Eastleigh.

Fuck me, your patter is tremendous🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️. West Ham have got a massive following. ...should know, my grandad was born opposite Upton Park, he ended up in Sunderland. Lived here for yrs. 8,000 up here for an 11am kick off for a FA Cup game... next 'dingbat'???????
If that’s the criteria then its undisputable who’s the biggest.
If that’s the criteria then its indisputable who’s the biggest.

Last edited:
Neutral fan here, SWFC fan.

I think Sunderland are a huge club, great fans and a good history. Been very badly managed over the years. You remind me of us in terms of fan base, history and a proud tradition yet underachieved. You lot have a bigger more modern ground than us so you're potential could be grater.

Back