Which club in terms of size are Sunderland most similar in your opinion?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
In my lifteime at various periods moreso to do with the other teams status.... Villa, City , West Ham, Chelsea , Everton .
We have just never had prolonged general success of Liverpool, Utd, Arseanl and Spurs. I'd always have us bigger than Woves, Forest, Leicester and Derby.
Newcastle is a strange one, as they have always brushed with success more than us and they have the potential to be massive. It has always felt like they will eventually have their time than we will. In some respects they did in the 90s.

We aren't bigger than Leicester in anyway apart from attendance

Yeah all club have their ups and downs over the years but they’ll be in that bracket due to what they’ve done in past and their capabilities in the future. Villa are a nats bollock of been in second group. And Wolves same for being out of 3rd group.

How and in what realm are Wolves anywhere near the size of Villa? And in what possible universe have Leeds done to be compared to Arsenal or Chelsea?

Not at the moment but historically are.
I agree with that.
Thing is ,Leicester fans have never been bothered that much about others perception of us as a club.
When most people thought we were the poor relations in the East Mids it was never the reality , we just didn’t have the success.
Doesn’t matter what success we are having or might have , any talk of us ever being as “big@ as Spurs for instance is ridiculous but we don’t worry about stuff like that anyway.
We always knew we had potential and all the last 20 odd years as done is confirm it.
It’s a fair sized place with a good football heartbeat

We aren't bigger than Leicester in anyway apart from attendance

Disagree, unless you are talking about right now.They have never been in our ball park until the last 4 years in terms of size of club. Their O'Neil period was a good manager and club punching above weight. I have Derby and Forest as bigger clubs than Leicester. I'd put Sheff Wed as a bigger club than all the East Midlands rivals.

Last edited:
Why is no one mentioning Leicester being in the top ten of clubs? They are there for me.
Because there’s 13 other English clubs who under the same circumstances as Leicester’s recently would be drawing bigger crowds than Leicester. THATS how to measure a clubs size.
Fan base my arse. They aren’t on Sky any more than Villa were when we were in the Championship. I’m fed up of hearing about Leeds and their massive (imaginary) fan base. It may have been bigger than average in the revie era and in a few year’s thereafter but not now. Have a look when they’re in the prem and see how often they’re on. It won’t be half as much
Listen to this man everyone. He KNOWS. He’s got a superior intellect.

Last edited:
Disagree, unless you are talking about right now.They have never been in our ball park until the last 4 years in terms of size of club. Their O'Neil period was a good manager and club punching above weight. I have Derby and Forest as bigger clubs than Leicester. I'd put Sheff Wed as a bigger club than all the East Midlands rivals.
I think the 0 neill years were us doing what is probably about where we should be very happy with as a club , between 6th and 10th in the top league four years running.
Why not?
We don’t feel uncomfortable in the Top 4 either even if that really is punching .Our infra structure and ownership are up to it .
Let’s be honest , it’s what all the “rest” dream of.

I agree with that.
Thing is ,Leicester fans have never been bothered that much about others perception of us as a club.
When most people thought we were the poor relations in the East Mids it was never the reality , we just didn’t have the success.
Doesn’t matter what success we are having or might have , any talk of us ever being as “big@ as Spurs for instance is ridiculous but we don’t worry about stuff like that anyway.
We always knew we had potential and all the last 20 odd years as done is confirm it.
It’s a fair sized place with a good football heartbeat
Away with you and your good natured attitudes. Be gone Sir before you turn into one of the other clubs fans on here. Snarling, arguing, standing your ground etc. Don’t let it happen to you.
I think the 0 neill years were us doing what is probably about where we should be very happy with as a club , between 6th and 10th in the top league four years running.
Why not?
We don’t feel uncomfortable in the Top 4 either even if that really is punching .Our infra structure and ownership are up to it .
Let’s be honest , it’s what all the “rest” dream of.
We’re currently dreaming of the top 4 alright......

Last edited:
Because there’s 13 other English clubs who under the same circumstances as Leicester’s recently would be drawing bigger crowds than Leicester. THATS how to measure a clubs size.

Listen to this man everyone. He KNOWS. He’s got a superior intellect.
THATS how to measure a clubs size is it?
Not old League titles then?
Don’t worry about it mate , the “Big club” thing is in the eye of the beholder.
Seriously , get yourselves back up where you belong .Sunderland is always an away we really look forward to

Last edited:
What about actually winning things? Such as Premier league titles?
That’s a measure of success not size and a pretty obvious one anarl.

Seriously , get yourselves back up where you belong .Sunderland is always an away we really look forward to
Trophies won are a reflection on how good a team were at that particular time. Nowt to do with a clubs size. Your mates at Forest had a good three year run once upon a time but no one ever suggested they were the biggest club around at the time.

Last edited:
That’s a measure of success not size and a pretty obvious one anarl.

Trophies won are a reflection on how good a team were at that particular time. Nowt to do with a clubs size. Your mates at Forest had a good three year run once upon a time but no one ever suggested they were the biggest club around at the time.
Totally disagree
Winning trophies and success forms part of the size of a club.

Back