Where did punk music stem from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not sure how Brinsley Schwarz and other pub rock bands could have led to New Rose and Remote Control. I suspect punk started with imports of the first Ramones album, Television's Little Jimmy Jewel EP, New York Dolls, together with the Stooges albums. People say Can and Neu but I can't really see that.

Everyone seemed to turn on established bands like the Floyd but Animals is far more a gritty urban statement (maan) than a lot of punk material.

1969, a good 7 years before New Rose by the Dammed was released.

It might have been in one of Johnny Rotten’s books where he said the Pistols wanted to be the Who. Although they covered Substitute they didn’t dare say that at the time & dismisses every band that had already been.

It's a very good series. Was on Sky Arts earlier in the year. Features a fat Lydon.
Think it was on here when he ballooned, he’s got some kind of health issue that makes his weight fluctuate massively? The picture was only about 2/3 months after I’d seen him with PiL & I didn’t believe it was him he’d changed that much.

Got tickets to see him do a talk in type thing at Whitley Bay next year. Not very punk like.

It was Heavy Metal played by musicians that couldn't play their instruments very well.

Let’s face it, a lot of punk is infinitely more enjoyable and melodic than ANY heavy metal. Being able to play an instrument ‘properly’ means fuck all to me.

1969, a good 7 years before New Rose by the Dammed was released.

It might have been in one of Johnny Rotten’s books where he said the Pistols wanted to be the Who. Although they covered Substitute they didn’t dare say that at the time & dismisses every band that had already been.

Think it was on here when he ballooned, he’s got some kind of health issue that makes his weight fluctuate massively? The picture was only about 2/3 months after I’d seen him with PiL & I didn’t believe it was him he’d changed that much.

Got tickets to see him do a talk in type thing at Whitley Bay next year. Not very punk like.

I was going to go to that..I love the Pistols and I’ve seen PiL a few times and enjoyed them..just as I get older I find Lydon a bit of a preachy gobshite..I mean he always has been but nowadays I’m just like ok mate I get it..the price of the tickets anarl.

All valid points, but as one poster has alluded to, you could also say that punk stemmed from the reaction to overblown pompous prog rock such as this

and a reaction to the age of blue jean middle of the road music. If we remember, punks didn't wear jeans for years. It was either smart threads and ties or straight threads and boots, but not the mainstream shit.

Let’s face it, a lot of punk is infinitely more enjoyable and melodic than ANY heavy metal. Being able to play an instrument ‘properly’ means fuck all to me.
He's right though. Whether or not it's enjoyable is up to the listener. Metal fans spent their young lives in bedrooms practicing scales if they wanted to be any good cos that's what they heard on their record players. The likes of the much lauded Joy Division couldn't tune their instruments.

But that was the point of punk. You didn't need to learn scales to bang out a three minute tune or even be able to tune those instruments. You're right about that. It was an attitude but as far as that went the likes of Rush were every bit as much as punk as The Clash.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how Brinsley Schwarz and other pub rock bands could have led to New Rose and Remote Control. I suspect punk started with imports of the first Ramones album, Television's Little Jimmy Jewel EP, New York Dolls, together with the Stooges albums. People say Can and Neu but I can't really see that.

Listen to Hero from Neu 2. That's where Johnny Rotten got his voice from.

He's right though. Whether or not it's enjoyable is up to the listener. Metal fans spent their young lives in bedrooms practicing scales if they wanted to be any good cos that's what they heard on their record players. The likes of the much lauded Joy Division couldn't tune their instruments.

But that was the point of punk. You didn't need to learn scales to bang out a three minute tune or even be able to tune those instruments. You're right about that. It was an attitude but as far as that went the likes of Rush were every bit as much as punk as The Clash.

Joy Division had one of the greatest rock drummers ever mind. Listen to Atrocity Exhibition or Komakino. Hook or Barney weren't the greatest technically but the point of punk or postpunk was to imaginatively transcend that.

Mind you I rarely care about technical ability in rhythm and blues inspired music. It's why I've never been able to get into prog rock. It tries to do too much in what is still just a blues stucture and it sounds like a mess. Just listen to jazz or classical if you want a wider sonic scope.

Let’s face it, a lot of punk is infinitely more enjoyable and melodic than ANY heavy metal.

i don't agree with that but its all subjective anyway. what you might think is great the next person might think is ok while the next person cant stand it

The likes of ska stemmed from reggae and soul came from R & B, so where did punk stem from?

stemmed from rock, but most of it was attitude and wanting to emulate what they saw people in established bands do. confidence on stage in what you're doing and being in a band came before musical ability

Joy Division had one of the greatest rock drummers ever mind. Listen to Atrocity Exhibition or Komakino. Hook or Barney weren't the greatest technically but the point of punk or postpunk was to imaginatively transcend that.

Mind you I rarely care about technical ability in rhythm and blues inspired music. It's why I've never been able to get into prog rock. It tries to do too much in what is still just a blues stucture and it sounds like a mess. Just listen to jazz or classical if you want a wider sonic scope.
He became good at what he did but the point was that you didn't need to know anything to form a punk band. The really good ones really could play though. Some good musicians in punk. It was a strength of the genre but it didn't make it better than any other style of music.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back