Where did punk music stem from?

As usual this would have been multi-factorial rather than just one thing resulting in a new movement or type of music. As others have mentioned it was as much a reaction to the prevailing political situation, and in particular unemployment, as it was to a reaction against musical trends of the time. Though somewhat ill-defined 'punk rock' music quickly became somewhat generic, thus diluting any effect it may have had, though others moved quickly from the '3-chord' angry polemics. Some took the inspiration of the DIY ethos to progress in areas other than music, and even in music there were a disparate range of styles (the Buzzcocks and the Upstarts for example were very different beasts).

Let’s face it, a lot of punk is infinitely more enjoyable and melodic than ANY heavy metal. Being able to play an instrument ‘properly’ means fuck all to me.

But if you can't play your instrument 'properly' how are you going to manage that 10 minute drum solo?

It's nee surprise that Fyls favourite band are called 'Tool'

But if you can't play your instrument 'properly' how are you going to manage that 10 minute drum solo?

It's nee surprise that Fyls favourite band are called 'Tool'

You just press the start button on your 808 don’t you? ;)

Yes very apt for our Fyl like. I can just imagine what they sound like. I’d be asleep after three minutes.

1920-1940 Blues guitarists such as Blind Boy Fuller and Lightening Hopkins I learned all their guitar work years ago and it gave me a massive edge in the music industry as a musician.

Pretty much all music from the last century has its roots in the delta. Amazing really. I remember hearing a story about a blues guitarist that was found finger picking on a porch to anybody that would listen, folk songs, slave songs, stories and biographies, troubles and love. 30 years later and one of the beat/folk/hippie icons mentioned him as an influence, they went back and found him still playing on the same porch all that time later, he played just for the sake of telling a story. My personal favourite period of music.

Pretty much all music from the last century has its roots in the delta. Amazing really. I remember hearing a story about a blues guitarist that was found finger picking on a porch to anybody that would listen, folk songs, slave songs, stories and biographies, troubles and love. 30 years later and one of the beat/folk/hippie icons mentioned him as an influence, they went back and found him still playing on the same porch all that time later, he played just for the sake of telling a story. My personal favourite period of music.
Most fun I've ever had on a guitar finger picking the old delta blues.

And 35 to 40 years later the songs were credited to Plant and Page and appeared on LZ 2...

As usual this would have been multi-factorial rather than just one thing resulting in a new movement or type of music. As others have mentioned it was as much a reaction to the prevailing political situation, and in particular unemployment, as it was to a reaction against musical trends of the time. Though somewhat ill-defined 'punk rock' music quickly became somewhat generic, thus diluting any effect it may have had, though others moved quickly from the '3-chord' angry polemics. Some took the inspiration of the DIY ethos to progress in areas other than music, and even in music there were a disparate range of styles (the Buzzcocks and the Upstarts for example were very different beasts).

Pretty much this but as this lad suggests it depends what you define as "punk rock".

Malcolm McClaren got together the Sex Pistols as an idealistic expressionistic vision. He had experience from managing New York Dolls & getting them to pose in USSR garb to challenge/alienate audiences & critics. Either way it created controversy and headlines way above the status of the bands involved. What changed things was John Lydon. But the central point is no Sex Pistols no punk. Joe Strummer admits this and he was the one who put together the second greatest punk band. The Ramones were important but without the Pistols their status is marginal.

Back