Where did punk music stem from?

For me, a mixture of early rock music and a reaction to prog/glam rock. For everyone influenced by The Stooges, another was influenced by Chuck Berry or The Beatles.

There was always going to be angry music played fast and loud by young men. The reason it became popular had more to do with culture than the music itself, for me.
I couldn’t believe the size of the fat twat.
Too much free Country Life butter...

I'm not sure how Brinsley Schwarz and other pub rock bands could have led to New Rose and Remote Control. I suspect punk started with imports of the first Ramones album, Television's Little Jimmy Jewel EP, New York Dolls, together with the Stooges albums. People say Can and Neu but I can't really see that.

Everyone seemed to turn on established bands like the Floyd but Animals is far more a gritty urban statement (maan) than a lot of punk material.
Brinsley Schwarz played Backhouse Park.

All valid points, but as one poster has alluded to, you could also say that punk stemmed from the reaction to overblown pompous prog rock such as this

and a reaction to the age of blue jean middle of the road music. If we remember, punks didn't wear jeans for years. It was either smart threads and ties or straight threads and boots, but not the mainstream shit.

This was the whole ethos of it..Rick Wakeman dressed like a fkn wizard with pretentious keyboard solos..ELP with their monotonous prog bollocks..it just became sod this, 3 chords and away we go.

Ska came before reggae
This. The first wave of ska was the precursor to reggae.

To answer the OP, not sure about the British punk but a lot of the American stuff came from surf music speeded up. Bands like The Ramones and Agent Orange in particular had mor win common with surf music than the likes of the MC5 or The Stooges who are usually named as the “first” punk bands.

Let’s face it, a lot of punk is infinitely more enjoyable and melodic than ANY heavy metal. Being able to play an instrument ‘properly’ means fuck all to me.

I think that's a very subjective opinion that of course you are welcome to have, and obviously would be backed or argued against by vast numbers of people on either side. :)

The people on your side would be wrong, like.

got to have been US garage rock mc5 stooges New York Dolls etc CBGBs was instrumental in promoting such bands. Also the mid to late 70s in the UK saw a fair bit of discent ie stikes pit closures picketing hard times for the working classes etc

Last edited:
I think it's clear there were several influences for Punk in general regarding attitudes, fashion, art, poetry and music in the USA and GB but it has been such a wide genre that needs some clarification. A new genre in music is not always noticed until well after the event such as 60s American Garage Punk that was influenced by the Stones and the Kinks. It's more often referred to as 60s Punk. Again Punk emerged in America in the early 70s but there is no doubt that British Punk was very anarchist in the early days around 1976 before giving way to New Wave. British Punk was influenced by the earlier Proto Punk bands in the early 70s in the UK. Hence the difference between the Sex Pistols and Blondie.
Punk in this country was a teen fashion trend in South London that lasted about 18 months with a few shit bands latched onto it.

They were heavily influenced by the late hippie anarchist bands based around Ladbrooke Grove that are now classed as Proto Punk.

Last edited:

Back