When someone hits your car and won't give their insurance details

Status
Not open for further replies.
In any (even minor) event I would phone the Police, my daughter lost her NCD and excess because of a little shit that thought he could tell lies to stop him losing his NCD.

Story – I’m in the car with her one morning, she’s approaching a junction an old lady stops quickly in front, she stops behind and a lad 25 – 30 nudges into her, not bad just a scuff /scratch on the bumper. The lad gives all his details except his address (says he would prefer not to).
I didn’t think much of this at the time, turns out her insurer Sheila’s wheels (SW) says she has to pay the excess £250 until they claim it back as she could not give full details of the other driver (be warned anyone who has a bump) . She has fully comp cover, NCD protection (everyone note this only protects you with your current insurer, not with any other insurer when you renew), and legal cover.

After the repair nothing happens for weeks, I phone them on her behalf (she hasn’t a clue how to deal with a claim) 3 or 4 times over the next 6 weeks or so, eventually I am told they have to give the other insurer up to 3 month to respond - note nothing at all in writing. After 3 months still nothing so when I ring I’m told the lad says he was only a witness to the accident AND he has an engineer’s report to say his car had no signs of being in an accident, so they would not be able to peruse the claim remember it was a nudge rather than a bump, his car is an S reg (1998) vw polo that had had more bumps than a dodgem. no engineer would be able to tell either way.
I complained to SW and told them I would go to the ombudsman if they did nothing about it. I was told they would pass it back to the legal team and get back within 7 days, after 8 days I complained to the ombudsman who wrote to them. Eventually I got a letter off them nearly 5 month after the accident saying they cannot prove the lad was involved and I am not an independent witness; a bit grovel saying sorry for not being kept informed and a chq for £100.

In the end I found out where he lived and she took him to county court and won. His insurer had to pay the excess and her NCD was reinstated.
He hasn't given his address so he hasn't complied. Otherwise it's nothing to do with the Police

Number plate, name and address. Let your insurance sort it from there, it's what you pay them for.

Off the topic a wee bit.
You see the likes of those solicitors who advertise on the T.V -who tell you to contact them 1st if you have a road accident ----- why or how do they take over from your very own insurance company?

I am sure that your insurance company tell you ( in the small print) to contact them first.

So since when do a bunch of solicitors take precedent over your insurers, and why bother with an insurance company if a firm of solicitors do the job??

Just asking like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back