When someone hits your car and won't give their insurance details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't they need to give details so insurance companies can sort it out?

It was in the car park of a gym/leisure centre in North London

Not if no injury was caused. Damage only accidents you only need to exchange name and address of driver, name and address of registered keeper if different and VRM of vehicle. Were all of these exchanged?

Asda don't necessarily cover the car park. The one at the Metrocentre only covers the entrance and cash points. Someone almost ripped the wheel arch off my daughters car and there was no footage of it.

you are right, but it was just to enforce the point of getting cctv and exploring it. Does the metrocentre security not cover the car park

Have a look at Road Traffic Act section 170. The other party does not need to give insurance details in this case as there has been no injury.

@Cockney Mackem where roughly did this happen?

already covered that point sarge. ;)

you are right, but it was just to enforce the point of getting cctv and exploring it. Does the metrocentre security not cover the car park

I don't know. It might be worth giving them a shout but Asda is some distance from the main car parks so I doubt it will be covered.

This....it's law to exchange details
it used to be, now name and address of car owner and driver and veicle reg no if damage only. see the AA link I put up

I don't know. It might be worth giving them a shout but Asda is some distance from the main car parks so I doubt it will be covered.
I don't know what the security covers but am sure it will cover the car parks. their coverage may only last 28 days, so depending on when your daughters car was damaged

Last edited:
Get the polis on the phone asap, they can check databases to see who the car belongs to, they can pay them a visit as they wouldn't give you insurance details.

I got bumped in Asda Thompson road in December last year, chased the daft cow out and got her plates she wouldn't give me any details but had her banged to rights cos of cctv and plates etc. Took the fuzz 4 months but they gave me her details and when I put an insurance claim in I got everything covered. They're also taking her to court for a host of offenses (failure to stop, report etc) all because she pissed off.

Last edited:
Get the polis on the phone asap, they can check databases to see who the car belongs to, they can pay them a visit as they wouldn't give you insurance details.

I got bumped in Asda Thompson road in December last year, chased the daft cow out and got her plates she wouldn't give me any details but had her banged to rights cos of cctv and plates etc. Took the fuzz 4 months but they gave me her details and when I put an insurance claim in I got everything covered. They're also taking her to court for a host of offenses (failure to stop, report etc) all because she pissed off.

They didn't need to give insurance details in this case

It's not an offence to Not have them

It is, or more accurately it's an offence not to produce them. There is a defence that prosection won't be proceeded with if a certificate is produced within 7 days

Last edited:
Some bastard crashed a car into my sitting room years back. As he'd pinched the car in the first place I had to claim the repairs on my insurance. As he was unemployed I didn't get anything from him either - the police said it would be a waste of time. So someone crashed into my house and I ended up paying £50 excess.

Just got a call from my wife, someone hit our car in the car park and admitted fault, but isn't giving his insurance details. She's got the plate number and after some hassle got him to give his address (if he's given the real details) but says he doesn't know who he's insured with.

Is plate number and driver's name and address enough to go on for a claim or will we have to report this to the police for failing to provide full details at an accident?

Number plate is enough. She should have took some pics as well hopefully?

In any (even minor) event I would phone the Police, my daughter lost her NCD and excess because of a little shit that thought he could tell lies to stop him losing his NCD.

Story – I’m in the car with her one morning, she’s approaching a junction an old lady stops quickly in front, she stops behind and a lad 25 – 30 nudges into her, not bad just a scuff /scratch on the bumper. The lad gives all his details except his address (says he would prefer not to).
I didn’t think much of this at the time, turns out her insurer Sheila’s wheels (SW) says she has to pay the excess £250 until they claim it back as she could not give full details of the other driver (be warned anyone who has a bump) . She has fully comp cover, NCD protection (everyone note this only protects you with your current insurer, not with any other insurer when you renew), and legal cover.

After the repair nothing happens for weeks, I phone them on her behalf (she hasn’t a clue how to deal with a claim) 3 or 4 times over the next 6 weeks or so, eventually I am told they have to give the other insurer up to 3 month to respond - note nothing at all in writing. After 3 months still nothing so when I ring I’m told the lad says he was only a witness to the accident AND he has an engineer’s report to say his car had no signs of being in an accident, so they would not be able to peruse the claim remember it was a nudge rather than a bump, his car is an S reg (1998) vw polo that had had more bumps than a dodgem. no engineer would be able to tell either way.
I complained to SW and told them I would go to the ombudsman if they did nothing about it. I was told they would pass it back to the legal team and get back within 7 days, after 8 days I complained to the ombudsman who wrote to them. Eventually I got a letter off them nearly 5 month after the accident saying they cannot prove the lad was involved and I am not an independent witness; a bit grovel saying sorry for not being kept informed and a chq for £100.

In the end I found out where he lived and she took him to county court and won. His insurer had to pay the excess and her NCD was reinstated.

It's not an offence to Not have them

It is an offence not to produce them however they can be produced at a designated station within 7 days which is usually done but technically it is an offence, an officer will always allow you to produce though
Think its s165 rta 1988?

In any (even minor) event I would phone the Police, my daughter lost her NCD and excess because of a little shit that thought he could tell lies to stop him losing his NCD.

Story – I’m in the car with her one morning, she’s approaching a junction an old lady stops quickly in front, she stops behind and a lad 25 – 30 nudges into her, not bad just a scuff /scratch on the bumper. The lad gives all his details except his address (says he would prefer not to).
I didn’t think much of this at the time, turns out her insurer Sheila’s wheels (SW) says she has to pay the excess £250 until they claim it back as she could not give full details of the other driver (be warned anyone who has a bump) . She has fully comp cover, NCD protection (everyone note this only protects you with your current insurer, not with any other insurer when you renew), and legal cover.

After the repair nothing happens for weeks, I phone them on her behalf (she hasn’t a clue how to deal with a claim) 3 or 4 times over the next 6 weeks or so, eventually I am told they have to give the other insurer up to 3 month to respond - note nothing at all in writing. After 3 months still nothing so when I ring I’m told the lad says he was only a witness to the accident AND he has an engineer’s report to say his car had no signs of being in an accident, so they would not be able to peruse the claim remember it was a nudge rather than a bump, his car is an S reg (1998) vw polo that had had more bumps than a dodgem. no engineer would be able to tell either way.
I complained to SW and told them I would go to the ombudsman if they did nothing about it. I was told they would pass it back to the legal team and get back within 7 days, after 8 days I complained to the ombudsman who wrote to them. Eventually I got a letter off them nearly 5 month after the accident saying they cannot prove the lad was involved and I am not an independent witness; a bit grovel saying sorry for not being kept informed and a chq for £100.

In the end I found out where he lived and she took him to county court and won. His insurer had to pay the excess and her NCD was reinstated.
Mag alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back