When someone hits your car and won't give their insurance details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just got a call from my wife, someone hit our car in the car park and admitted fault, but isn't giving his insurance details. She's got the plate number and after some hassle got him to give his address (if he's given the real details) but says he doesn't know who he's insured with.

Is plate number and driver's name and address enough to go on for a claim or will we have to report this to the police for failing to provide full details at an accident?
just get the police involved. he/she has already committed one offence by not providing full details including name and address). they'll fuck him/her up.

Just got a call from my wife, someone hit our car in the car park and admitted fault, but isn't giving his insurance details. She's got the plate number and after some hassle got him to give his address (if he's given the real details) but says he doesn't know who he's insured with.

Is plate number and driver's name and address enough to go on for a claim or will we have to report this to the police for failing to provide full details at an accident?

sorry to hear this marra.

if it turns out the details are fact you could always hire a private detective to find the car and trace the person involved

someone like dick tracey would do nicely

Logon or register to see this image

Do you not have to display an insurance disc on the windscreen in the U.K. along with your tax disc?

The done away with the tax disc about 2 years ago (but you still have to pay VED). Then rather surprisingly lots of people "forgot" to pay it and the £10m or whatever it was they saved from not having tax discs was dwarfed by the all the money lost through evasion/forgetfulness.

He's given his name and address and registration number.

Both will be committing offences when cops show up and neither are carrying insurance docs with them. Not that cops enforce it anyway but its useful when dealing with shite

Yeah, got photos.

From first glance it looks like very little harm has come to our motor even though fuckface's bumper has been wrecked, it was a very low speed incident. I'd like to have the garage look at it and see how much damage has really been done to ours but they're not open til Tuesday. How soon do you have to call your insurance company?

Id still get your car checked out. never can tell what damage is caused underneath. I would inform your insurance company asap

actions after a RTC

http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/legal/what-to-do-after-an-accident

also get in touch with the company that runs the car park and ask for cctv to be provided at the time and location. Shouldn't be a great problem, if it is somebody like asdsa or sainsburys.I would get that done asap and don't leave it for others as we have no idea when that cctv starts over-recording the data.

even if it is in a car park that is designated private, it will probably be classed as a road at the relative time but need to check it out. if supermarket or shopping centre probably be ok. make a note of the condition at the time. dry, windy, raining, bright sunshine etc. any witnesses.

Id still get your car checked out. never can tell what damage is caused underneath. I would inform your insurance company asap

actions after a RTC

also get in touch with the company that runs the car park and ask for cctv to be provided at the time and location. Shouldn't be a great problem, if it is somebody like asdsa or sainsburys.I would get that done asap and don't leave it for others as we have no idea when that cctv starts over-recording the data.

even if it is in a car park that is designated private, it will probably be classed as a road at the relative time but need to check it out. if supermarket or shopping centre probably be ok. make a note of the condition at the time. dry, windy, raining, bright sunshine etc. any witnesses.

Yeah, she got home, looked at the number and its definitely damaged. She's written down her version of events, taken pictures and given it to me for review and feedback

Both will be committing offences when cops show up and neither are carrying insurance docs with them. Not that cops enforce it anyway but its useful when dealing with shite

although that is correct, the law understands that not everybody (in fact anybody) carries their insurance certificate with them. That is why they used to be given 7 days to produce. Nowadays that is not required because car insurance is recorded on the PNC. Insurance details of all up vehicles are contained on a database which insurance company's have access to. So once you inform your insurance company of the reg no, they can start to proceed with the claim

Yeah, she got home, looked at the number and its definitely damaged. She's written down her version of events, taken pictures and given it to me for review and feedback
get cctv if you can. did the other driver have a dash cam operating

although that is correct, the law understands that not everybody (in fact anybody) carries their insurance certificate with them. That is why they used to be given 7 days to produce. Nowadays that is not required because car insurance is recorded on the PNC. Insurance details of all up vehicles are contained on a database which insurance company's have access to. So once you inform your insurance company of the reg no, they can start to proceed with the claim

get cctv if you can. did the other driver have a dash cam operating

She's working on cctv. Pretty sure the other driver didn't have dashcam or anything

actions after a RTC

Asda don't necessarily cover the car park. The one at the Metrocentre only covers the entrance and cash points. Someone almost ripped the wheel arch off my daughters car and there was no footage of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back