When Newcastle nearly won the League

Football wasn’t a big deal then, it had only been invented a few years earlier
That’s right. We were all Geordies then and all of the north east from the Tweed to the Tees were willing them on. Dubbed the entertainers they were everybody’s favourite team from The Home Counties to Scottish Highlands and Islands.

Chunks will back me up on this.

Best bit about it was that United were playing Boro on the last day - we were managed by Robbo half the back room staff were ex Man U and not a single Boro fan wanted anything other than to lose if it stopped Newcastle getting the title and yet Keegan thought we'd try and win.

Genuinely the only game I've ever been to were I wanted us to get beat.

I guess it's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all

It was horrible at school in their sir bobby days playing in the champions league and finishing in the top 4 etc.. fat little gravy stained mag lads at school always took the piss and i tried to say that Phillips was as good as shearer and they just laughed and laughed and laughed
Why are you still continuing with this facade, you spineless mag prick.

People I'd known for years with no connection to the mags suddenly started taking an interest in them.
That and an uncontrollable urge to pipe off dogs for baccy.

Yes, the massive increase in those that had apparently ALWAYS been a fan, despite the fact that some of us had known for years that they hadn't, that's them: the hangers on for glory & bragging rights

Bet the relief was something else mind

The "relief" merited a celebration beer or three!! Or maybe more now that I think about it, I may even have a reminiscence one tonight seeing as I've been reminded of those happy times!

Last edited:
The Forest game when Woan scored was on a Thursday night IIRC..i was at work and it was brilliant when the goal went in..on the Sunday night after the last game we were in the Derry and it was class, everyone was singing and happy that the filth had spewed it..good times.

I guess it's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all

It was horrible at school in their sir bobby days playing in the champions league and finishing in the top 4 etc.. fat little gravy stained mag lads at school always took the piss and i tried to say that Phillips was as good as shearer and they just laughed and laughed and laughed

You've never seen Newcastle win a major trophy, celebrate at Wembley or beat their local rivals 6 times in a row.

But you have seen them relegated twice in the last few years.

Newcastle are now in the second half of their entire existence without winning a current major trophy.

6 decades of nothing ...... better to have laughed at the Mags than never to have laughed at all :lol:

It's somewhat been ignored but nufc were the biggest spenders at the time....mid 90s they spent much more on transfers than other clubs.
E.g £6M for Les Ferdinand may seem cheap by today's standards but for the fledgling Premier league it was a lot of money. Not to mention shearer, ginola, asprilla, batty......etc etc

There'll no doubt be mags along later saying this isn't true but man Utd won it primarily with the youth team and jack walker stopped bankrolling Blackburn after they won the league in 95

That’s right. We were all Geordies then and all of the north east from the Tweed to the Tees were willing them on. Dubbed the entertainers they were everybody’s favourite team from The Home Counties to Scottish Highlands and Islands.

Chunks will back me up on this.

I totally dispute that, because I know lots of people from Carlisle & the borders that were happy they blew it

You've never seen Newcastle win a major trophy, celebrate at Wembley or beat their local rivals 6 times in a row.

But you have seen them relegated twice in the last few years.

Newcastle are now in the second half of their entire existence without winning a current major trophy.

6 decades of nothing ...... better to have laughed at the Mags than never to have laughed at all :lol:

The same could be said for us.. I've seen us break lowest point record relegations (15 point season), the 19 point season, very nearly 5 decades without a trophy, the 20 home games with out a win record (that one was very recently), lost at Wembley, never seen us play in europe, saw us lose 5 in a row against the mags last decade which luckily for us they didnt seem to notice because it was never mentioned and lets not even get into this season.. staring into the abyss of league 1 with huge debts hanging over us - we very well could be fucked.

At least we arnt the mags though

The same could be said for us.. I've seen us break lowest point record relegations (15 point season), the 19 point season, very nearly 5 decades without a trophy, the 20 home games with out a win record (that one was very recently), lost at Wembley, never seen us play in europe, saw us lose 5 in a row against the mags last decade which luckily for us they didnt seem to notice because it was never mentioned and lets not even get into this season.. staring into the abyss of league 1 with huge debts hanging over us - we very well could be fucked.

None of that is relevant ...... Newcastle have won nothing decent since 1955.

Whatever Sunderland have done, or haven't, doesn't alter that.

@Reiver triggered you there mate?

:lol:

Back