When do we start talking about Jos Buttler?

I'd stick with Buttler, he can change a game in a session. Maybe he's still recovering from his nice guy image being demolished in Cape Town.

'Ya f***ing Knobhead' :lol:

The stats are he's played 70 test innings and recorded 1 century; that's not a test batsman.
Foakes is measurably a better wicketkeeper.
It's difficult to see the argument for persisting with Buttler when he's already had 40 tests to prove himself.

I think buttler has a central contract for all forms, so if he is left out, the ecb are shelling out money for nothing.

if consistency is to be shown then bairstow was dropped for failing with the bat, then the same applies to buttler.

the problem then is that buttler does not play championship games and will be off to the ipl in April anyway.

he then returns from the ipl and doesnt take part in the championship and will then likely be treated as a god to justify the hundred competition.

i asked before but when was the last time buttler batted for fifty overs in the championship and for that matter at test level?

I think buttler has a central contract for all forms, so if he is left out, the ecb are shelling out money for nothing.

if consistency is to be shown then bairstow was dropped for failing with the bat, then the same applies to buttler.

the problem then is that buttler does not play championship games and will be off to the ipl in April anyway.

he then returns from the ipl and doesnt take part in the championship and will then likely be treated as a god to justify the hundred competition.

i asked before but when was the last time buttler batted for fifty overs in the championship and for that matter at test level?
I think your 1st sentence gives the answer to the thread title. It doesn't matter how much we talk about Josh Buttler he here to stay in ECB eyes as he's one of their Hundred poster boys.
Interestingly, Ollie Robinson( Kent) is w/k in the recently announced squad to your Australia. It appears that Foakes is history.

I think your 1st sentence gives the answer to the thread title. It doesn't matter how much we talk about Josh Buttler he here to stay in ECB eyes as he's one of their Hundred poster boys.
Interestingly, Ollie Robinson( Kent) is w/k in the recently announced squad to your Australia. It appears that Foakes is history.
You can read too much into Lions’ squads. They generally take younger squads, rather than the next 15 in the queue

I dont think he believes himself he is a test cricketer, he hammered himself after the 1st test and when he was dropped previously made some very harsh self critical comments and as we all know the majority of cricket performance is based on what goes on in your head not just on your talent.

For me I would drop him and keep him for the ODI/T20 formats as risking his confidence even further could lead to a decline in them formats and something he is in the top 10 in the world at. Him as a test player is only going to be average and someone like foakes is just as good if not better.
The reason I think hes been afforded so many chances is due to the slowness of the top order and he is one of a few who can change that pace, that is another reason I feel foakes hasnt featured either as he isnt really a power player, so expect the return of Bairstow.

Last edited:

Back