What's the best lager in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1664 is about as good as it gets

moretti is massively overrated
Used to live on Kronenbourg at one point.

I remember it was 2.95 in The Ivy House. I'd wake up foggy headed on a Monday after a long Sunday session and see 15 5p coins on the side table and think 'aye, that sounds about right'.

Good times.

Agree about Morretti like. Canny, but nowt special and it seems to be f***ing everywhere. Bet the Italians don't even touch the stuff, like Australians and Fosters.

Is it?

Surprised at that mind, 5 or 6 sticks me on my back :lol:
Aye 5%. Tbf if I'm going out all day I'll try not to drink much over 4.5% or it catches you up before you know it. I still reckon Heineken is the best mass produced lager mind, better than most mentioned in here and it's on tap in nearly every pub in the world.

Champigneulles - dirt cheap in Asda (although they only sell it in small cans and not bottles now, in Seaham anyway), brewed in France and 5.5%. I'm pretty sure that the M&S 'French Lager' is the same, only weaker (also brewed in Champigneulles, tastes almost identical, just 4%).

Camden Hells
Robinson’s Helles
Manchester Craft Lager

Current favourites but can’t get them in many places.
Of the readily available on draft I favour Moretti, Poretti and Estrella

I’ve been getting those San Miguel Especial beers lately, 330ml and 5.4%, really nice for a change.
I still think a cold pint of Veltins can’t be beaten though.

The Especial is much nicer than the overly sweet crap brewed in this country.

the one you can buy in Asda has especial on the front too. Both are crap imo, have you seen how cheap cans are in a Spanish supermarket? It just tastes nicer over there because you are on holiday.

We buy pallets of lager over here called Emdenbrau and Kopperwiek, (spelling might be a bit off, there), and it's perfectly palatable.

Not the best in the world, but f*ck it, for 23 cents a can, (about 21p), what do you want?

Alhambra is my preferred go to beer, if I'm looking for something decent, though.

In UK, I do like a drop of Carling Premier and also John Smiths Pure Brewed lager.

German- Lowenbrau, Becks Gold (tastes very different to normal Becks), and Paulaner hit the spot for me. But loads of others too, which other countries had a purity law.
Czech- Pilsner Urquell
Jamaica- Red Stripe, not the stuff brewed under licence, the original tastes very different.
Canada- Molson Canadian, and Molson Canadian Ice. (Not sure if you can still get it in UK- does anyone know?)
Japan- Kirin, Asahi and Sapporo all good.
China- Tsingtao
Russia- Baltika 3
Singapore- Tiger, and also in Asia, Tiger Black(never seen Tiger Black in UK to be fair so not strictly in OP's list)
Philippines- San Miguel light is my beer of choice here (5%, but different to the Spanish version)

Real men drink Beer Any bloke who drinks a Lager and Lime - Black or Lager Shandy is a wrongun

German wheat beer is acceptable

Exceptions for when you are abroad. A decent native Lager (especially in Germany, Belgium or Czech Rep) will almost inevitably be better than John Smiths in an English Bar or an overpriced Guinness in an Irish one.

Lager shandy is acceptable only if you are driving. Its far better than Becks Blue
In UK, I do like a drop of Carling Premier and also John Smiths Pure Brewed lager.

Canada- Molson Canadian, and Molson Canadian Ice. (Not sure if you can still get it in UK- does anyone know?)

I think you mean Sam Smiths? Dont know if they still do that one though, havent seen it in a while.

Never seen Canadian in the UK, but its quite popular in Ireland

Last edited:
I know, Real Ale drinkers will be saying you are talking about a drink that should be associated with skunks or mutants. I can't drink Ale though and in my 35 years of drinking have only drank lager. I told myself a couple of years ago that drinking Fosters or Carling was just like drinking recycled pee so I only drink 'Premium' lager. My favorites are:

San Miguel - love it in a bottle or can.
Perroni - again class drink.
Becks - had this once on draught, thought I'd died and gone to heaven, had 6 pints in an hour and half (it was free). Can't remember the journey home (I wasn't driving).
Heineken - realise may not be classed as a 'Premium' but I don't mind it.
Oranjeboom - not often seen in England but a class Dutch drink.
Estrella - had a couple of pints last week, very nice.

Whatever your choice, it's defo not Carlsberg, probably the shitest lager in the world.
Turia (from Valencia)

German- Lowenbrau, Becks Gold (tastes very different to normal Becks), and Paulaner hit the spot for me. But loads of others too, which other countries had a purity law.
Czech- Pilsner Urquell
Jamaica- Red Stripe, not the stuff brewed under licence, the original tastes very different.
Japan- Kirin, Asahi and Sapporo all good.
China- Tsingtao
Russia- Baltika 3
Singapore- Tiger, and also in Asia, Tiger Black(never seen Tiger Black in UK to be fair so not strictly in OP's list)
Philippines- San Miguel light is my beer of choice here (5%, but different to the Spanish version)
Great shout on becks gold. Absolutely gassed that stuff when I went to visit a mate in stuttgart.

It depends on each person.
If you placed all the lagers in the world into a large market and let the public in, they would be sold out of , likely all brands, in short order.
One person's nectar is another person's poison.
Carlsberg seems to be popular but I find it absolutely putrid.
I've had Fosters on draught in different pubs and found it lovely in some and not so nice in other.
Same with cans.
I like a brown ale. I like a trophy. There's many beers I like but many that I find, putrid.

That's likely to be similar with most people and likely only alcohol dependants would not show favouritism.

Who sells it in the UK?

Have never seen it in UK, but would be interested to know where you could.
Exceptions for when you are abroad. A decent native Lager (especially in Germany, Belgium or Czech Rep) will almost inevitably be better than John Smiths in an English Bar or an overpriced Guinness in an Irish one.

Lager shandy is acceptable only if you are driving. Its far better than Becks Blue

I think you mean Sam Smiths? Dont know if they still do that one though, havent seen it in a while.

Never seen Canadian in the UK, but its quite popular in Ireland

Correct marra, I did mean Sam Smiths. There are a few Sam Smiths pubs in London that do it, and a few in York.

I was amazed to pick up a couple of cans of it in my local supermarket earlier this year, never seen it before or since in 6 years in Manila, and they didn't have any more as I asked the guy to go out the back and check if they had any more.

You used to be able to get Molson Canadian at The Maple Leaf in London. The stuff in Ireland is only 4% and brewed under licence but a poor version of the Canadian 5% one.

Last edited:
the one you can buy in Asda has especial on the front too. Both are crap imo, have you seen how cheap cans are in a Spanish supermarket? It just tastes nicer over there because you are on holiday.

I’ve had the 5.4% from Aldi recently and seen Morrisons selling them. This is what you get in supermarkets in Spain, different taste, love San Miguel it’s my common go to but don’t know which I prefer, our one is probably easier to drink more of at only 5%. Wouldn’t mind trying 5.6% in a bottle though, always tastes smoother than a can.

Mahou or estrella Galicia probably win my #1 vote though just harder to find. Other mentions for efes, Chang and Rossini from Aldi, 99p a bottle and so much nicer than peroni which is more than double the price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back