What's the best lager in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stella,Becks,1664,ashai, and a few more are brewed under licence in Australia.You can still hunt around for the original imported stuff.There's a big difference in the taste due to a different sugar we use in Aus.That's why our chocolate tastes different. Back to the lager, some like the Aussie stuff and some prefer the imports.... all a matter of taste or desperation i suppose.

I know, Real Ale drinkers will be saying you are talking about a drink that should be associated with skunks or mutants. I can't drink Ale though and in my 35 years of drinking have only drank lager. I told myself a couple of years ago that drinking Fosters or Carling was just like drinking recycled pee so I only drink 'Premium' lager. My favorites are:

San Miguel - love it in a bottle or can.
Perroni - again class drink.
Becks - had this once on draught, thought I'd died and gone to heaven, had 6 pints in an hour and half (it was free). Can't remember the journey home (I wasn't driving).
Heineken - realise may not be classed as a 'Premium' but I don't mind it.
Oranjeboom - not often seen in England but a class Dutch drink.
Estrella - had a couple of pints last week, very nice.

Whatever your choice, it's defo not Carlsberg, probably the shitest lager in the world.
Carlsberg for me carlsberg export better worst black label minging

Stella,Becks,1664,ashai, and a few more are brewed under licence in Australia.You can still hunt around for the original imported stuff.There's a big difference in the taste due to a different sugar we use in Aus.That's why our chocolate tastes different. Back to the lager, some like the Aussie stuff and some prefer the imports.... all a matter of taste or desperation i suppose.
The difference will be the water not the sugar. The sugar added to most mass produced lager comes from maize or rice for starters so won’t have anything to do with the sugar used for chocolate etc. Secondly Becks should be an all-malt lager otherwise it’s not actually the Becks recipe because adding sugar is against Reinheitsgebot.

I’ve been getting those San Miguel Especial beers lately, 330ml and 5.4%, really nice for a change.
I still think a cold pint of Veltins can’t be beaten though.

Hopeyoure joking. Panic buyed 3 slabs of veltins on holiday once to minimise shopping trips. Rank n I had 72 big cans to plough through. Needed a dash of lemonade in some!

All continental lager brewed in the UK under licence is inferior to its European counterpart. Think its down to our water
I think there’s an element of recipe change as well - if not ingredients then process. Moretti never used to be as pale as it is now when it was imported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back