Whatever you think of QUEEN

Hard to know what to say about this.
Was it really such a pain in the arse to be in queen?

Whilst Roger and Brian have always seemed a bit daft I refuse to believe they were so uncool. Roger in particular was like he'd walked off the set of the Inbetweeners!
Everyone moaning about doing disco ? Doing opera? fcking hell man :lol:
They keep going to the pub without him like he's David Brent or something
Mike Myers is terrible too.

Apart from all that Malik is superb and the music bits are fantastic. At time I was welling up - other times i was openly laughing at it, sometimes with it.

Believe it or not but the diso thing was a major issue. The hot space album is f***ing shite and was heavily influenced by the early 80’s gay discos. Roger Taylor hated it.

And before that Brian May took a right huff when he didn’t have any prominent part in John Deacons Another One Bites the Dust so the rifts in the band we’re starting to show them.

The film for me should have concentrated on this as opposed to the whole Freddie just f***ing the band off to record his album on his own. Would have made far better use of the excellent actors playing May and Deacon IMO

@cluffy 7 mins in

Last edited:

Hard to know what to say about this.
Was it really such a pain in the arse to be in queen?
I’m not really sure that is even suggested in the movie. Hard work definitely, but I don’t think anyone suggests it was a pain, unless of course, that was a bad attempt at a pun.

Believe it or not but the diso thing was a major issue. The hot space album is f***ing shite and was heavily influenced by the early 80’s gay discos. Roger Taylor hated it.

And before that Brian May took a right huff when he didn’t have any prominent part in John Deacons Another One Bites the Dust so the rifts in the band we’re starting to show them.

The film for me should have concentrated on this as opposed to the whole Freddie just f***ing the band off to record his album on his own. Would have made far better use of the excellent actors playing May and Deacon IMO

@cluffy 7 mins in
I think the good thing was they were 4 individuals who each had their own musical tastes but basically stuck together amongst all the arguements to create some fantastic music (and some not so good).

Whilst Roger and Brian have always seemed a bit daft I refuse to believe they were so uncool. Roger in particular was like he'd walked off the set of the Inbetweeners!
Daft? Largely regarded as two of the most intelligent men in music? They were never cool, but The actorplaying Roger is probably the weakest in the cast. But still not bad.

Everyone moaning about doing disco ? Doing opera? fcking hell man :lol:
Brian and Roger did complain vehemently about the band’s dip into disco. Nobody in the band complained about opera, they were just a little taken a back, the label hated it though. This is all documented and factually correct.

They keep going to the pub without him like he's David Brent or something
They suggest going to the pub without Freddie once in the entire film and that is meant as a joke.

He really isn’t.

Apart from all that Malik is superb and the music bits are fantastic. At time I was welling up - other times i was openly laughing at it, sometimes with it.
That’s pretty much the point of the film and the band TBH. To entertain. Never taking themselves seriously or trying to cool, just entertain. An attitude that appears to have paid off.

27 years gone today BTW. RIP Freddie.

Last edited:

@cluffy 7 mins in
I thought the timescales were all over the place and the script

But what I'm getting at is - ok I knew they weren't all into disco but every song is presented as something they all hate at first apart from the songwriter. Id have liked a scene where someone comes in with a classic tune and they all go "Wow that's f***ing great!":lol:

The press conference in 82 - the tabloids didn't cover music much back then so I doubt there's going to be people aggressively demanding freddie tells them all about his sexuality - it's going to just be music hacks enjoying the bands hospitality. Yeah the NME would hate them but they wouldn't come out with that shit.

Queen were hugely successful straight off the bat really and it just seems like they were trying to create a narrative that wasn't there. Even his solo album - it was a one record deal not two and the rest of the band did solo stuff too anyway! :lol:

That said I enjoyed it...but I love the band and it made me want to go back and play them.:cool:

I thought the timescales were all over the place and the script

But what I'm getting at is - ok I knew they weren't all into disco but every song is presented as something they all hate at first apart from the songwriter. Id have liked a scene where someone comes in with a classic tune and they all go "Wow that's f***ing great!":lol:

The press conference in 82 - the tabloids didn't cover music much back then so I doubt there's going to be people aggressively demanding freddie tells them all about his sexuality - it's going to just be music hacks enjoying the bands hospitality. Yeah the NME would hate them but they wouldn't come out with that shit.

Queen were hugely successful straight off the bat really and it just seems like they were trying to create a narrative that wasn't there. Even his solo album - it was a one record deal not two and the rest of the band did solo stuff too anyway! :lol:

That said I enjoyed it...but I love the band and it made me want to go back and play them.:cool:
The tinescales are all over the place and the script is....”lumpy” in places and sublime in others. I’m not sure where you’re getting the “negativity to all new songs” from, it’s not there, it’s not in the movie and it’s not there in history. However, the movie does touch on the favouritism toward songs which the band did address from 89 onwards.

You are underestimating the hatred the press had for and has for Queen. They sniped and swiped and invented and castigated wherever they could, if you want examples just google away and you will soon find them.

Freddie’s deal with CBS was a TWO album deal. I don’t like the Mr Bad Guy Album, but I don’t understand quite why it did so badly, it’s not THAT bad. The Barcelona album was infinitely better but harder to market. Who cares, it’s a beautiful piece of work.

The press conference scene is there to represent a relationship rather than a single event, you are wrong to say the tabloids didn’t cover the industry. They covered it more than they do today by a long stretch. None of the band were keen to talk to press after the barrage of abuse they faced down in the seventies and the vitriol of the 80’s.

Queen were not successful “off the bat”. They were three albums in before a top ten hit came their way. They had to slog and strive to perfect their art, something that is overlooked historically and in the movie.

you are wrong to say the tabloids didn’t cover the industry. They covered it more than they do today by a long stretch. None of the band were keen to talk to press after the barrage of abuse they faced down in the seventies and the vitriol of the 80’s.

Queen were not successful “off the bat”. They were three albums in before a top ten hit came their way.

You're wrong.

Wrong about the tabloids and wrong about their hits.

their third single -seven seas of rhye went to number 10, their fourth to number 2 (killer queen)
Or so you mean their albums? Queen II got to number 5.

You're wrong.

Wrong about the tabloids and wrong about their hits.

their third single -seven seas of rhye went to number 10, their fourth to number 2 (killer queen)
Or so you mean their albums? Queen II got to number 5.
Regardless of Queen II making number 5 they were not household names by any stretch. Killer Queen is on their third album ... I’m not wrong about that or the tabloids - every tabloid used to have a music/entertainment section and it was usually a full page, “Bizarre” was the name of the section in The Sun. David Wigg was the music editor for The Daily Star, I doubt they have one these days.

Regardless of Queen II making number 5 they were not household names by any stretch. Killer Queen is on their third album ... I’m not wrong about that or the tabloids - every tabloid used to have a music/entertainment section and it was usually a full page, “Bizarre” was the name of the section in The Sun. David Wigg was the music editor for The Daily Star, I doubt they have one these days.
Fcuk it you make some decent points. Not sure why I'm arguing with you :lol:
Got the Jazz album on now - some great stuff.

I never thought, at the time, that A Night At The Opera had anything to do with ‘Opera’.

Most of it didn’t sound ‘operatic’ at all.

The title of their next album, for me, simply confirmed the Marx Brothers refererence.

I remember they played the bbc New Year’s Eve show a few years back, adam lambert seemed really good to me...

Saw that and was impressed to be honest , checked the dates and they were playing at Newcastle probably a few weeks later , went to see them and it was a cracking gig / night out .

Top dollar though , iirc it was about £70 each standing.

Quick edit , saw the film last week , canny and worth a watch but in reality at least 20 minutes too long.

Back