Whatever you think of QUEEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree and I noted the timeline mistakes but forgive them as they had to squeeze a lot in.

If I was Roger Taylor I would be a little upset as the lad that played him hardly changed his hair which Roger certainly did! :-0 splitting hairs I know.

I must have missed it...what was the Waynes World refrence mate?
Mike Myers character (EMI Exec) says that Bohemian Rhapsody would never be good because people want a song that they could drive around and bang their head too

Just back from watching this, and I must admit as a massive Queen fan rather confused.

Being a Queen fan since 74 I pretty much know everything Queen, and I have to say the time lines in the film are way off, a typical example, performing Fat Bottomed Girls on the 74 USA tour.. It wasn't written till 78, Freddie having the full on short hair/ tache gay look when recording We Will Rock You.. 4yrs too soon.. However..

I guess the target audience for the film is the people who have a copy of Greatest Hits Album (1 in every 3 UK housholds apparently) so wont really know the flawed timelines, but to us Queen geeks. :evil:

Anyway.. ignoring the above, the film is indeed very good (bollocks to the critics.. always hated Queen).

Rami Malek is extraordinary, he absolutely nails Freddies speaking voice, persona and mannerisms as does Gwillym Lee as Brian May.

The live footage is extraordinary.. my ears are still ringing. :lol:

My marks

Malek - 9.5/10

Music - 10/10 of course. ;)

Timeline - 3/10 :evil:

Overall - 8.5/10

Nearly forgot.. The Waynes World reference.. very clever. :lol:

That is a good assessment.

The film is excellent but I too, noticed a few anomalies. For example, some of the language used for early 70s scenes was simply not in use at that time. There are other examples that escape me at the moment.

The bloke who acted as Taylir looked more like a young Phil Collins.

Really good film and well worth watching if you like Queen even slightly.

Just back from seeing it. As a huge Queen fan I’ve got to admit I was a bit disappointed with it. There story is far too big to tell in just two hours and I felt it suffered by being made for a 12a.

Thought it was strange too that they messed with the timeline about the band finding out about his illness. The scene when he told them he had aids was daft especially the way they shrugged it off moments after finding out. All of that part of the story could have been explained at the end

The live aid bit is superb and it was great seeing the old Wembley from different angles. Good fillum but could and maybe should have been better imo

Just back from seeing it. As a huge Queen fan I’ve got to admit I was a bit disappointed with it. There story is far too big to tell in just two hours and I felt it suffered by being made for a 12a.

Thought it was strange too that they messed with the timeline about the band finding out about his illness. The scene when he told them he had aids was daft especially the way they shrugged it off moments after finding out. All of that part of the story could have been explained at the end

The live aid bit is superb and it was great seeing the old Wembley from different angles. Good fillum but could and maybe should have been better imo
Difficult one. I have spoken to several who have seen it and are not Queen fans and they thought it was brilliant. My daughter who has never liked my music after watching the film has now downloaded a lot of Queen songs and playing them very loudly....what have I created?!!!

Viewing it as a Queen fan they have squeezed a lot in and they have obviously used artistic license with the time line. Given the story I can just about live with it...I think the lad who played Roger's hair could have been better mind. :)

Yeah, I think the general opinion is that, as a piece of entertainment, it's superb.

As a biographical record of their rise to fame and Freddie's problems in the early 80's, let's just hope there's something else in the pipeline, eh?

And again, that Live Aid footage was f***ing immense!

Difficult one. I have spoken to several who have seen it and are not Queen fans and they thought it was brilliant. My daughter who has never liked my music after watching the film has now downloaded a lot of Queen songs and playing them very loudly....what have I created?!!!

Viewing it as a Queen fan they have squeezed a lot in and they have obviously used artistic license with the time line. Given the story I can just about live with it...I think the lad who played Roger's hair could have been better mind. :)
Which will be exactly what May and Taylor* were after.

*Was Deacon involved at all? I kna he's still a member as far as the business side goes.

The cynic in me says that was May and Taylor's primary objective all along...

*Was Deacon involved at all? I kna he's still a member as far as the business side goes.

I'm sure I read somewhere that he approved of the film.

The cynic in me says that was May and Taylor's primary objective all along...

I'm sure I read somewhere that he approved of the film.
I just wondered if he'd had any input into it.

It's genius really on their part. Bring the music of Queen to a new and wider audience in a way you couldn't achieve with a concert tour. Capture the Best of Queen in a new medium. It's an exercise in posterity.

Last edited:
I just wondered if he'd had any input into it.
No. He has had no input, he was invited to meet with Joe Mazzello (who plays him) but declined and sent one of his Sons along instead. He would have given a nod of approval at an early stage as he has to do with with all Queen projects and releases and he also had to give approval of an early edit of the fillum too. Of all the living people featured in the fillum, only Brian May's ex-wife Chrissie, disapproved of how she was portrayed and was therefore almost entirely cut from the final edit - barring one or two scenes.

It has worked in that aspect in my household for sure mate.

On major projects I believe May and Taylor always consult with Deacon and he usually gives approval. Im sure this wont be doing his bank balance any harm so Im sure he would have no issues :)

just watched it today at the metro, thought it was superb !
I like Queens music, but wouldn't say I'm a fan of such, but.... the film was great, he absolutely nails Freddie ! (well as close as anyone can get, cause he was a one off)
it was like a walk down memory lane, it took me back to the time the songs and events were happening in my own life
I have ALWAYS said, his performance at live aid was the single handedly the best front man appearance of ALL time ! he was unbelievable, he had the crowd in the palm of his hand, remember watching it live at 11 years old, and he just gripped me

just watched it today at the metro, thought it was superb !
I like Queens music, but wouldn't say I'm a fan of such, but.... the film was great, he absolutely nails Freddie ! (well as close as anyone can get, cause he was a one off)
it was like a walk down memory lane, it took me back to the time the songs and events were happening in my own life
I have ALWAYS said, his performance at live aid was the single handedly the best front man appearance of ALL time ! he was unbelievable, he had the crowd in the palm of his hand, remember watching it live at 11 years old, and he just gripped me

What, even better than Michael Stipe??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back