Whatever happens at Wembley it’s been a good season

I have said it before. I feel very humble when our coaches pull into a service station and there is a solitary coach from Hartlepool for example with about twenty/thirty of their supporters on. ITHICS means a lot to them too.

Wouldn’t think anything less from you mate.
You epitomise a typical Sunderland fan, like Maximus in my eyes.
Respect mate.

and a very good job performed by Jack Ross. Nobody can now deny this. Time to get behind this bloke and back him to the hilt, regardless of the result a week on Sunday.
Sorry but if we dont get promoted ross will have failed!we need to adopt the roy keane approach and stop accepting mediocrity as success....if we dont get promoted it will have been a shit season and shit stinks and most of that sticks to ross and the three amigos!

It's amazing how 1 game will, in most people's eyes, be the difference between a great season and a terrible season.

Modern day football, fine line between these 2 scenarios.

Definately, but if we do beat Charlton it will confirm for me that we deserve to go up as the third best team in the league this season. If Charlton beat us you can pretty much say the same for them which again would be about right.
i am confident we can do it but like you say it could be by a very finemargin either way

Is it a failure when the aim at the beginning of the season was to finish in the top six.
I think so marra. Top 6 was a very easy target.
The squad and the talent we have we should have been better than 5th imo.
But as I've mentioned, it's not a disastrous failure, but I think most will be dissapointed we never went up automatically.
I just wished we had really gone for it. Then to fail I wouldn't mind as much. But we have played safe quite a bit, very defensive and not the attacking exciting football I was hoping for.

I'm still fully behind JR BTW, even if we lose to charlton. I think he's the man who will get the best out of the squad next season and knows what changes to make.

Last edited:
If we didn't make the playoff's then that's a reason to be sacked. We did make them though and were close to the automatic spots, but not quite. All in all he's done well, not utterly fantastic, but a good solid 7 out of 10 in my book.
Whatever happens now, he must carry on as our manager as really we can and will only get better.

I agree, but I still think he's worth persevering with.
Like someone said, he's failed, but it's not gross mismanagement.

I certainly wouldn’t sack him either. Give him 8-10 games next season if we’re still in this division.

I’d like to start seeing something that resembles a ‘style of play’ (hate that term) as it’s been fairly disjointed and pragmatic for swathes of this season

I certainly wouldn’t sack him either. Give him 8-10 games next season if we’re still in this division.

I’d like to start seeing something that resembles a ‘style of play’ (hate that term) as it’s been fairly disjointed and pragmatic for swathes of this season
Ross should go irrespective of result. Out of his depth and I wouldn't trust him with the scarce resources we have. I don't need another 8 games of the dour one pace negative plodding football.

Ross should go irrespective of result. Out of his depth and I wouldn't trust him with the scarce resources we have. I don't need another 8 games of the dour one pace negative plodding football.

Negative plodding football is the consequence of purchasing slow, plodding players. The recruitment needs to be looked at and improved upon, there’s no doubt about that. But Ross should be given a chance to make a proper impact.

Fully agree marra. This I think is down to JR not having a clue who his best team is all season.
I'd also like to see a change in who we buy.
We don't seem to have changed.
We need to be after young hungry folk who can possibly make the step up to the championship like Onien rather than older players who championship clubs don't want.

Back