What upcoming films are you most excited about?

I know re: the first two…but that’s how bad this year is looking (thank you strike!)

I think that Fed Alvarez made the second best Evil Dead movie, so he’s got some good will in the bank with me. Ridley is only producing which is a relief, and I’m cautiously optimistic. Having seen set photos they’re going all in on the aliens aesthetic which can only be a good thing.
Fingers firmly crossed!

I'm setting my expectations very low tbh, the director of Don't Breathe and a bang average Lisbeth Slander sequel doesn't fill me with confidence

I'm setting my expectations very low tbh, the director of Don't Breathe and a bang average Lisbeth Slander sequel doesn't fill me with confidence
Agree about the Salander thing, although I’d put that down to studio interference. I wasn’t really in on the whole Don’t Breathe thing at all. But, I saw enough from Evil Dead 2012 to feel cautiously optimistic as I say.

I’m also hoping we get another totally out of left field class movie like When evil lurks.

Went to see it yesterday, I enjoyed it. I do love the universe mind so they're playing to the crowd with me and Dakota Johnson haway man 😘

There was a f***ing open goal right there to cast her as the Jessica Drew Spider-Woman, FFS. Dark, anti-heroic and has been on both the good and bad side at times, and has battled all the characters like Venom, Carnage and Kraven. They could have tied together all the films and solved the problem that bothers a lot of audiences that you have the villain characters without the hero they're supposed to be up against.

And fans of Dakota Johnson would no doubt have enjoyed seeing her in full gear

Logon or register to see this image

There was a f***ing open goal right there to cast her as the Jessica Drew Spider-Woman, FFS. Dark, anti-heroic and has been on both the good and bad side at times, and has battled all the characters like Venom, Carnage and Kraven. They could have tied together all the films and solved the problem that bothers a lot of audiences that you have the villain characters without the hero they're supposed to be up against.

And fans of Dakota Johnson would no doubt have enjoyed seeing her in full gear

She shows up in sorta of the same outfit. You know more than me is madame web sorta an offshoot of Jessica drew as the origin story is similar. They've set it up for almost the X-Men of the spider verse after this movie which could be cool, I enjoyed the dynamic between them all with Dakota being the professor x of the group. It was canny although my marvel barometer has been smashed to bits taken out gotg 3 which I loved the rest have been a car crash lately and I know this is sorta stand alone as it's Sony I still see it as marvel and it was the better ones in the past few years.

It’s a dismal time for film making.

Utter pish

Poor Things
The Holdovers
All of us Strangers
American Fiction
Zone of Interest

All superb awards season films. Poor Things in particular is one of the best Oscar nominated films for many a year.

Towards the end of the 2023 we had Godzilla Minus One and Wonka which both did superbly at the box office and are both very good films.

Dune Part Two is getting phenomenal reviews.

Upcoming films:

The Promised Land

In this reteaming of the star and director of A Royal Affair, Mads Mikkelsen displays his mettle as a former soldier trying to tame Jutland in 18th-century Denmark. The story of Ludvig Kahlen who pursued his lifelong dream: To make the heath bring him wealth and honor.

Evil Does Not Exist

Takumi and his daughter Hana live in Mizubiki Village, close to Tokyo. Like generations before them, they live a modest life according to the cycles and order of nature. One day, the village inhabitants become aware of a plan to build a glamping site near Takumi’s house; offering city residents a comfortable ‘escape’ to nature. When two company representatives from Tokyo arrive in the village to hold a meeting, it becomes clear that the project will have a negative impact on the local water supply, causing unrest. The agency’s mismatched intentions endanger both the ecological balance of the nature plateau and their way of life, with an aftermath that affects Takumi’s life deeply.

From the director of Oscar® and BAFTA winner Drive My Car.

In Broad Daylight

Based on true events, In Broad Daylight reveals a little-known truth about residential care homes for the disabled that hides beneath the headlines. A news organization's investigative journalism unit receives a tip about the abuse of residents in Rainbow Bridge Care Home. To expose the home's wrongdoings, reporter Kay goes undercover to expose the inhumanity inside, searching for the cruel truth under broad daylight.

Some more coming up at my local that i'm booked in for:

She shows up in sorta of the same outfit. You know more than me is madame web sorta an offshoot of Jessica drew as the origin story is similar. They've set it up for almost the X-Men of the spider verse after this movie which could be cool, I enjoyed the dynamic between them all with Dakota being the professor x of the group. It was canny although my marvel barometer has been smashed to bits taken out gotg 3 which I loved the rest have been a car crash lately and I know this is sorta stand alone as it's Sony I still see it as marvel and it was the better ones in the past few years.

I can't say I'm fully up to speed with all these characters but Madame Web in the comics was a clairvoyant character who started out assisting Spider-Man. She's always been a bit of a side character but she does have links to the various incarnations of Spider-Woman as well.

For example
Julia (Sydney Sweeney's character) in the comics goes on to be the second Spider-Woman. The first one Jessica Drew isn't mentioned in the latest film but they use a version of her in the Spiderverse films.The Mattie character goes on to be the next Spider-Woman in the comics, then the Anya character takes over in the comics and is the current version. I googled all of this.

This film has created all sorts of continuity issues for itself. I'm not sure how they're supposed to explain why a villain character is knocking around basically being evil Spider-Man before the actual Spider-Man even exists. They don't really explain how three girls go on to be Spider-Man type superheroes in the future in New York and why they don't get mentioned when actual Spider-Man eventually turns up. And yet they must be connected to Spider-Man because there's a character in the film called BEN who's going to be an UNCLE etc etc. Same as Madame Web herself. If the plan is to insert Spider-Man into this world if they ever negotiate the rights back off Marvel, it's going to be an unholy mess to sort out. I wonder if they did the three Spider girls characters thing just because the Spiderverse films have been popular.

Surely it would have been better to set up Spider-Woman as the superhero who ties all these other characters and films together - partly because she's a terrific character - think Black Widow with Spider powers. But also because it would make all these other superhero/villain characters make more sense instead of wondering why we've got Venom knocking around on his own and all this weird backstory from the Amazon jungle crowbarred in. It would be easier to fit Spider-Man in later if they keep some sort of continuity. There are actually storylines and characters in the comics where there are multiple Spider-Man derived hero characters like Silk etc which they could have used to do something like you suggested, a kind of Spider X Men. Bit of a missed opportunity if you ask me.

Not that these continuity issues will last that long, the disastrous reaction to the latest film surely means back to the drawing board

I can't say I'm fully up to speed with all these characters but Madame Web in the comics was a clairvoyant character who started out assisting Spider-Man. She's always been a bit of a side character but she does have links to the various incarnations of Spider-Woman as well.

For example
Julia (Sydney Sweeney's character) in the comics goes on to be the second Spider-Woman. The first one Jessica Drew isn't mentioned in the latest film but they use a version of her in the Spiderverse films.The Mattie character goes on to be the next Spider-Woman in the comics, then the Anya character takes over in the comics and is the current version. I googled all of this.

This film has created all sorts of continuity issues for itself. I'm not sure how they're supposed to explain why a villain character is knocking around basically being evil Spider-Man before the actual Spider-Man even exists. They don't really explain how three girls go on to be Spider-Man type superheroes in the future in New York and why they don't get mentioned when actual Spider-Man eventually turns up. And yet they must be connected to Spider-Man because there's a character in the film called BEN who's going to be an UNCLE etc etc. Same as Madame Web herself. If the plan is to insert Spider-Man into this world if they ever negotiate the rights back off Marvel, it's going to be an unholy mess to sort out. I wonder if they did the three Spider girls characters thing just because the Spiderverse films have been popular.

Surely it would have been better to set up Spider-Woman as the superhero who ties all these other characters and films together - partly because she's a terrific character - think Black Widow with Spider powers. But also because it would make all these other superhero/villain characters make more sense instead of wondering why we've got Venom knocking around on his own and all this weird backstory from the Amazon jungle crowbarred in. It would be easier to fit Spider-Man in later if they keep some sort of continuity. There are actually storylines and characters in the comics where there are multiple Spider-Man derived hero characters like Silk etc which they could have used to do something like you suggested, a kind of Spider X Men. Bit of a missed opportunity if you ask me.

Not that these continuity issues will last that long, the disastrous reaction to the latest film surely means back to the drawing board
You seen it?.
she sorta looks like spider women I've read up on, you know way more than me but she's shown in a suite and out on missions etc with the girls. Her power basically being in multiple time lines at once sorta thing is a kinda cool power even though she lost her sight she "sees clearer than ever" haha I did wince at the cheese in that one, he just seemed to be a bloke with money who backed madame webbs mam's search for the elusive spider in Peru that gave healing powers she was looking for to heal her daughter she's pregnant with a health issues. I won't lie that revelation did bring a tear when she'd been feeling angry towards her mam her whole life then sees she was out there to heal her yet to be born daughters condition. I agree though Sony is wasting a great universe and I bet marvel is itching to get back that license fully. I love venom I love Spiderman and I guess it's why I liked this I just like feeling I'm in that universe after batman 89 I think Spiderman was my fav as a kid so I tend to love it regardless.

Last edited:
Ridley Scot has just announced that he's going to make a film about the Bee Gees.

What a time to be alive. I lived through their entire recording career and now I am going to be able to see a biopic about them. :rolleyes:

Maybe..
Gladiator 2
Dune pt2
Beetlejuice Beetlejuice
Ghostbusters Frozen Empire
Joker: Folie a deux

Nothing else really interests me so far.

Got a sneaky feeling some of these will be a letdown though.

If it’s to come out at the end of the year, then Paul Thomas Anderson’s new film staring Di Caprio is my number one. I can’t wait.

Special mention to The Conjuring: Last Rites as I love that universe.

A couple I’m mildly intrigued about include Paul Schrader’s latest film (and rumoured last) Oh Canada starring Richard Gere and Francis Ford Coppola’s Meglapolis.

Last edited:
Dune is the big one for me. A few others I’d like to see but Dune is the only one so far that I’ll definitely make the effort to see in the cinema.

Back