What shares you buying?

My point is you ought to care about sentiment. Share valuation is fundamentally driven. Very formulaic. And the biggest fallacy about this game is its zero sum. It ain't.

I cannot see one case for easyjet being a good buy. Short was good but can you explain why you did it?

I’ve been in and out of EJ for about the last five or so years making a few bob every time, I bought in last week at £4.86 as I don’t see them going much lower , as I said a long term punt when things get back to what was considered normality, people will start to fly again , the share price will start to move upwards.

Question of when imho.

I’ve been in and out of EJ for about the last five or so years making a few bob every time, I bought in last week at £4.86 as I don’t see them going much lower , as I said a long term punt when things get back to what was considered normality, people will start to fly again , the share price will start to move upwards.

Question of when imho.
Why did you short them?

There are many tracker funds but keep in mind that overseas funds can be affected by currency fluctuations as well so there is an added risk.
Apparently over the long term it evens itself out.

Key points to remember
  • Investing internationally is a great way to diversify.
  • Currency fluctuations mean the return on foreign investments won't always match the index returns.
  • For long-term investors, currency fluctuations are likely to cancel themselves out.
  • For those who have shorter time horizons, hedging may be an option. We'll explore this in a future article.

Apparently over the long term it evens itself out.
Check out the GBP vs USD levels now and 10 years ago. They haven't evened out.
As it happens, the Pound has fallen so overseas investments have been a good deal when valued in Pounds but it's a risk and the Pound could recover some of its losses and cancel any gains in overseas markets.
It's just another risk to take into account.

Check out the GBP vs USD levels now and 10 years ago. They haven't evened out.
As it happens, the Pound has fallen so overseas investments have been a good deal when valued in Pounds but it's a risk and the Pound could recover some of its losses and cancel any gains in overseas markets.
It's just another risk to take into account.
The article I linked to has described how the £ lost value to the $ so that U.K. investors benefited. Also that over the long term you can’t guess what will happen. Even if you invested in the FTSE100 the companies are still dealing with foreign currencies when they export something. There is a risk in whatever you do.

Bought some Astra Zeneca on the dip ideally as a long term income stock from the dividend but it’s already the star performer up 25-30% and the latest news re vaccine production and the lung cancer acceptance trials is all good to hear.

Question of when imho.

Up 11% in a week @monkeytassle

not counting my chickens....

Bought some Astra Zeneca on the dip ideally as a long term income stock from the dividend but it’s already the star performer up 25-30% and the latest news re vaccine production and the lung cancer acceptance trials is all good to hear.

Sadly they'll probably too expensive for the masses.

Up 11% in a week @monkeytassle

not counting my chickens....
Sell them. It’s been up and down like a yo-yo this last month. Sell them now and buy again when it drops in the next week or two.
I shorted some last night because of some negative news about the vaccine...by the time I looked the news was positive again and the price had gone up...bastards! :lol:

Last edited:
Shares are great if you are called Bezos or Gates but for the average employed punter dreaming of a Sunseeker or a Citation I’m afraid it’s just a dream that’s unlikely to be realised. You can also lose a great deal of money. The world is volatile and so is finance.

Shares are great if you are called Bezos or Gates but for the average employed punter dreaming of a Sunseeker or a Citation I’m afraid it’s just a dream that’s unlikely to be realised. You can also lose a great deal of money. The world is volatile and so is finance.
Unless you're a seed investor index is best. Not being funny but our firm had the finest minds from all over the world working out what is a but and what is a sell. Some chump from Boldon isn't going to beat that research. You light be lucky making 11% in a week but if you're stock picking as a retail investor bottom line is you'll lose

Unless you're a seed investor index is best. Not being funny but our firm had the finest minds from all over the world working out what is a but and what is a sell. Some chump from Boldon isn't going to beat that research. You light be lucky making 11% in a week but if you're stock picking as a retail investor bottom line is you'll lose
Yup that’s the truth of it. And it’s no good investing if you’ve got 200 quid - you need more and you might lose it.

I never lost on the stock market through trading although I didn't dabble too much, if I'd stuck all the money I've ever gambled for a bit of fun into stocks and shares I'd probably still have the assets.
Although I wouldn't have got the same thrill as slapping £5 EW on some donkey at Haydock. :lol:

Have you read ‘Monkey with a pin’?

Last edited:

I agree, but I still think there are opportunities to buy when stocks "over react" to negative news and hold for no more than 30 days and get out. If you have not called the bottom, then get out (remember Northern Rock when it could go no lower?!). But there are few such "shocks" to do so continuously. Whoever just made 11% in a week needs to get out as that is 572% annualised.

Back