What shares you buying?

What do we think will be happening in 5 years time is what we need to be asking ourselves. Will either of them have gone bust? Will we be still using oil?

More EVs on the road and less plastic, but still a huge reliance on oil, albeit at reduced volumes.

Actually, @OP; invest in renewable energy providers as their market share will grow, then at saturation point, crank up the rate per watt.

Without a witty retort like “Don’t” , where’s the best place to start with this? It’s something I’ve been thinking about for a while, so now seems like a good time while I’ve got a bit of spare time on my hands. What platforms are people using? Apps? Where do you set an account up at? Any pitfalls to be aware of for a beginner?

Well done for starting. I don't know if they have the site blocked for overseas but try

www.asx.com.au

They have free education from beginners to options trading.
When I started around mid 1980s they had lectures in the state stock exchanges,which don't exist now.

Most of it is just common sense rather than what people repeat over and over .

What people think are huge profits are actually quite small.For instance say 20 million people shop at Tesco every week .Tesco make £1 profit per customer,so £ 20 million per week Multiply that by 50 ( I know there are 52 weeks in a year ) and there is £ 1 billion in profit.

Read Made in America by Sam Walton .
The Waltons are the richest family in the world through their 51% shareholding in Wal Mart.

Call it 2 billion shares Dividend is $1 per share ( actually a bit more) so the family trust has an income of $2 billion annually.Anyone that decided to buy shares when it was listed and held them it works out at 100 shares cost $1760.They have had 11, 2 for one splits.So 100 shares becomes 200 then 400 .Do it 11 times and it is 204,800 shares.Quick bit of mental arithmetic there.Now worth approx $ 23 million .

Read
Grinding it out. by Ray Kroc The milk shake machine salesman that founded McDonalds

Learn compounding,the book to read for that is

Stocks for the long run,by Jeremy Seigel.

Above all remember.Nobody can predict the future Everybody will have a financial plan to sell you.If any of them worked would they not just be buying shares to make themselves rich,rather than selling advice to you?

Companies have annual reports online,try reading them.They are actually quite simple once you break them down.

It's better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price, than a fair company at a wonderful price.

I tend to just throw a few quid into ETF's, diversify a little but mainly Clean Energy and Robotics funds.

Last edited:

Back