What shares you buying?

Without a witty retort like “Don’t” , where’s the best place to start with this? It’s something I’ve been thinking about for a while, so now seems like a good time while I’ve got a bit of spare time on my hands. What platforms are people using? Apps? Where do you set an account up at? Any pitfalls to be aware of for a beginner?

Read the Naked trader by Robbie Burns. A good read for beginners. Will get you started.

I don't buy shares (invest in tracker funds long term instead). Due to no footy, which is what I bet on of like to get into shares but from what I can see it's hardly worth it unless you are investing thousands. The monthly fees / trade costs eat into anything you'll make off you are only taking hundreds. If it's just for a bit of fun then fair enough.

I use interactive investor. Costs £10 per month and you get a free trade.

Have you used other platforms in the past? if so, how does it compare? I've noticed iweb is one of the cheapest platforms, but usually you get what you pay for. I'd be interested to know the pros and cons of each are. HL seem to be another popular platform as well as Halifax.

Not oil companies.
Perfect time to by oilies if they have the cash reserves or funding to get through this. The drop in oil prices will send many of the high extraction cost companies under leaving a greater market share for the rest once demand increases. Might be a few years but oil will reach at least $80/barrel imo.

Aside from that I have made small punts in GDR and ODX, both working to develop coronavirus tests.

Last edited:
Got money in National Express, The Gym Group, Novavax and a few others as far as individual stocks. Longer term ones Apple, Microsoft.

Back