What shares you buying?

I invest in Index trackers & multi asset funds via vanguard. Easy to use, low fees, and done fairly well over last couple of years since I started.
I do similar in a vanguard isa.

For my 8 year old son I invest in one global etf via a SIPP with AJ Bell .. at the moment he’s the richest person in our house.
Does anyone invest in long term unit trusts or similar? Normally I just arse around with small amounts on stocks I think I will get a bit of growth from short term. Take the growth when it hits a level i want then move to another. But i have decided invest a decent amount (by my standards) for the bairn who is 4. I'm thinking of long term unit trusts like emerging markets etc? does anyone have any experience of them? It dosnt have to be a unit trust I suppose just something that is likely to grow in the next 15 year, cobalt, water renewable energy etc?
This is the strategy that I use for my son’s pension fund.

Last edited:
I do similar in a vanguard isa.

For my 8 year old son I invest in one global etf via a SIPP with AJ Bell .. at the moment he’s the richest person in our house.
This is the strategy that I use for my son’s pension fund.

Thanks for this, appreciated.

Not really sure about the UK generally but if there's a Caravan Park group publicly listed it would be pretty good depending on travel restrictions this summer.

Ingenia in Australia worth a punt.

Also the ASX itself (ASZ) as the whole economy is supposedly going to pick up this year. Houses, Shares, Jobs! Started already really with some house prices up 20% on LY!

For some shares though you need to be in and out quick unless you are chasing dividends.

Can anyone recommend a fund that covers Chinese stocks/index?

Thanks.
I concur with @Edinburgh Black Cat re: emerging market tracker and also look at geographical investment trusts and active funds if that’s what you want.

Off the top of my head:
Templeton emerging markets (TEM)
Scottish oriental investment trust
Fidelity china

You can search for investment trusts on this site:

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a fund that covers Chinese stocks/index?

Thanks.

If you haven't already, make sure you research China thoroughly and not to think economic growth = soaring large caps. Heard numerous stories of people losing money on Chinese large caps because of the Chinese government involvement. I think it may have been Tillinghast who recommended looking more towards the small cap companies if investing in China

How do you even start this, is there an App or anything u can do as a beginner? Not talking thousands but a couple hundred here or there I might start doing

Thinking about sticking some in "Scottish Mortgage"

I’ve still got a bit with them but sold out and took some profit at the start of the year. They invest in growth stock (whereby they hope the share price will grow significantly) but you’re unlikely to get much income by way of dividends as many of the companies are focussed on reinvesting for expansion. I’ve done really well out of them with about 160% growth in 2 years but I do think some of the stuff they hold is overheating i.e Tesla

This thread just about the GME stuff now then?

I assume that, because I'm hearing about it, I'm far too late?

Back